Playing Pebble Beach this Summer - Getting My Game Back in Gear...

Reaction score
Handicap
I've been largely absent from the forum for awhile as life got crazy on us for a couple years here with some different challenges for our family. Things have evened out and I've got more time to practice and play...

...which is great since my game is a mess right now. Four years ago I committed to putting in the work to improve. That year I broke 100, the next season I broke 90, and then the following summer I broke 80. Over that time I worked my HCP from 25.6 down to a 7. Then life happened, I quit practicing and didn't get close to breaking 90 last year. My cap is back up to 11.3 but in reality I'm really a bogey golfer at best right now. To be honest I've lacked the motivation to get out and do the work on the range and the chipping/putting green.

Well, that changed this week. Through a stroke of luck I received an invite for a two-day trip to play Pebble Beach and Spyglass later this summer! I'm blown away by the good fortune and feel like I it to myself and the course to get my act together and play as well as I know I'm capable of playing.

To that end I'm committing to practice every day, even if the weather sucks (I'll putt on my little practice carpet in the basement). I need to focus on the stuff that got me under 80 a few years ago but has faded away on me now:

Solid Fundamentals - my set up is a bit of a mess right now and it shows in my swing. I'm finding myself off balance or misaligned quite a bit and am not making solid contact. Need to get that back in order.

Course Management - I'm not a long hitter and my best scores have come when I play a bit more conservative off the tee and just keep the ball in play. My best scores on my par 35 home 9 course is have ALWAYS come when I leave the driver in the car and just hit 3w or irons off the tee... I've gotten lazy and just pulled out the driver to keep up with my buddies and it shows in my scores.

Short Game - A few seasons back I really zeroed in on shots inside 100y and it made all the difference in my scoring. For awhile there I felt GREAT with my SW, GW or PW in hand and enjoyed the creativity of choosing the right club for the shot and pulling it off. Not anymore. I was also in a place where I had confidence that I could get up and down from just off the green almost all the time but that has faded too.

Keeping this thread up to date (whether anyone reads it or not, haha) will help keep me accountable. I'll do my best to practice (and post in the thread) daily on the journey towards Pebble Beach! Input, tips, advice, etc are all welcome.

Congat's on the opportunity to play those courses. Don't stress yourself out by trying to tame those courses.
If you go and shoot a 150 make it the best and most enjoyable 150 you can. Enjoy the experience.

Congat's on the opportunity to play those courses. Don't stress yourself out by trying to tame those courses.
If you go and shoot a 150 make it the best and most enjoyable 150 you can. Enjoy the experience.

For sure... totally agree. I'm one who needs a goal or I get lazy so I'm glad to have something on the horizon like this to push me so I put the work in.

But at the end of the day I'm just looking forward to playing beautiful courses and enjoying the day.

That's awesome Tony! Should be an amazing trip for you and I'm sure once you get some time to put in the work you'll improve rapidly like you did before man. Just like ridding a bike, right? ;-)

Can't wait to see the pics from this trip!!!

That's awesome Tony! Should be an amazing trip for you and I'm sure once you get some time to put in the work you'll improve rapidly like you did before man. Just like ridding a bike, right? ;-)

Can't wait to see the pics from this trip!!!

I actually failed in bicycling in college... it was crazy, they actually wanted me to go to class once a week and write down the couple hours I spent riding my bike. Who could be bothered to do THAT?

That is so awesome! I've always wanted to play those courses. I think having a goal to improve and a reason to improve is important. Pebble Beach should give you the motivation necessary to focus, practice and get your game back in shape closer to what it was. Congratulations on the good fortune and good luck with getting your game back to where you want it.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

work on driver and short game...spyglass is much harder course as it has tiny little greens...PB easier and more open imho...still remember the smell of PB as so many holes are near the water...I would pay to play PB again...spyglass and spanish bay not so much.

Been fortunate to have played both. Walk, take a caddy and just soak in the beauty of Pebble and Soyglass. Save money for the pro shops after.

Playing Pebble Beach this Summer - Getting My Game Back in Gear...

Pebble is a course where if the conditions are right, you could post a respectable score. Nothing prepares you for the beauty of those opening holes along the coast. Spyglass on the other hand will literally eat you and spit you out as a blubbering mess. Both are immense fun!

#FiberLaunch

That is so awesome! I've always wanted to play those courses. I think having a goal to improve and a reason to improve is important. Pebble Beach should give you the motivation necessary to focus, practice and get your game back in shape closer to what it was. Congratulations on the good fortune and good luck with getting your game back to where you want it.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Thanks! I'm the same way with my other hobby (music). If I don't have a gig coming up then I don't spend much time with my instrument. So helpful to have a strong motivation for me to do the work.

work on driver and short game...spyglass is much harder course as it has tiny little greens...PB easier and more open imho...still remember the smell of PB as so many holes are near the water...I would pay to play PB again...spyglass and spanish bay not so much.

Yeah, I need to get the short game back in gear for sure. I grew up near the Pacific Ocean so I know that smell. Looking forward to it.

Been fortunate to have played both. Walk, take a caddy and just soak in the beauty of Pebble and Soyglass. Save money for the pro shops after.

Absolutely will walk and take a caddie. Feel like I'd be cheating myself if I didn't.

Pebble is a course where if the conditions are right, you could post a respectable score. Nothing prepares you for the beauty of those opening holes along the coast. Spyglass on the other hand will literally eat you and spit you out as a blubbering mess. Both are immense fun!

#FiberLaunch

What makes Spyglass so much tougher?

It’s tighter. Pebble is fairly open. The greens are savage. Pebble greens are small but are fairly flat and not all that fast. I think Spyglass is ranked as one of the toughest courses on the PGA tour if I remember hearing correctly when we played it. It’s a beautiful course, but it takes no prisoners.

#FiberLaunch

Wow, this OP sounds close to home.
I had quit golf for 9 years when my best friend called me last spring and said "Buddy, I have something on my bucket list. I want us to play Pebble and Spyglass". So, I started playing that next week and have tee times for Pebble on 7/24/18 and Spyglass on 7/25/18.
I LOVE THIS GAME!

It’s tighter. Pebble is fairly open. The greens are savage. Pebble greens are small but are fairly flat and not all that fast. I think Spyglass is ranked as one of the toughest courses on the PGA tour if I remember hearing correctly when we played it. It’s a beautiful course, but it takes no prisoners.

#FiberLaunch

Awesome, haha. I’ll play from the tips! Kidding.

Day one of prep is in the books. Weather here in STL was poor today so all I could do was putt in the basement on my practice carpet. Went 25/30 on 3 footers and 25/30 on 5 footers.

Awesome, haha. I’ll play from the tips! Kidding.

If it isn't windy Pebble isn't that hard from the tips. I have played Pebble twice once it wasn't windy and the course wasn't that hard the next time it was blowing about 15-20 and it was much more difficult. I haven't played Spyglass yet hopefully next time I am out there.

Have a great time! I've got a buddy that got to play Pebble Saturday. He called me as soon as he got to his car after the round. Couldn't wait to share. Had a great time. May it be the same for you.

If it isn't windy Pebble isn't that hard from the tips. I have played Pebble twice once it wasn't windy and the course wasn't that hard the next time it was blowing about 15-20 and it was much more difficult. I haven't played Spyglass yet hopefully next time I am out there.

I'm not long off the tee so I stay away from the tips. Driver for me is around 250 with gusts to 275 if I get lucky.

Prep Day 2 - walked a few miles at the gym. I’m an old of shape guy so walking back to back days at Pebble and Spyglass will be a challenge. Weather should be good enough to hit the range tomorrow.

Prep day 3: 120 balls at the range; mostly SIH with the wedges. Really madness progress making crisp, clean contact today and am starting to dial in distances again. Also spent an hour practicing getting up/down from just off the green.

I've been going through the same stuff and have hardly posted or played. I played twice this month which is more than I've played in awhile.
Don't stress out & as beautiful as Pebble is it isn't Augusta and you'll be fine. It's really not a tough golf course. I shot like 80 when I played it and weather was beautiful. If u hit the green you'll have no more than a 35 foot putt as the greens are tiny. The rough should t be that bad. Just set your mind to having fun no matter how u play is the key. There's a reason golf isn't our job. Spyglass will be your tougher test btw. Have fun

I think I shot 98 on Spyglass and 93 on Pebble Beach.

Did.Not.Care.

Congrats, you're going to love it. Do NOT scrimp and try to go without a caddie. The experience is so much better with a caddie, it's well worth the cost. Neither course allows carts anywhere but the cart path, so rather than strolling down the middle of the fairway soaking it all in as the caddie carries your bag, you're running back and forth to the cart path.

When I walked up, the starter said "and right over there you'll find the putting green. Enjoy it, because it's by far the flattest thing you'll putt on all day."

Back