Old tech vs new tech

There's a guy I've played with a couple times at my course who has this old Burner driver and he puts on a driving clinic. I asked if he has considered getting fit for something new and he literally looked at me like I was an idiot and with a blank stare just said "You're away."

Point taken lol.

That’s awesome!!

I don’t think it’s that extreme at all. I saw a man own his driver today. That doesn’t mean that driver would work for me. Older club can be purchased so people aren’t relegated to new, expensive gear. I don’t think new tech is drive by people away. And the rules of the game are out dated.[/QUOTE

New club tech is 100% fine, and certainly there's a match for everyone. But in terms of attracting people with "distance", "forgiveness", they over-sell performance in relation to their target market and folks become discouraged. I was at an event with a tour professional. People handed him their club...any club...ladies / men's....and he killed the ball, he even did "Happy Gilmore" shots with their clubs, went so far as to run to hit while someone yelled "draw" or "fade"...and hit each. I'd like to know how he could do that considering running to the ball is the opposite of standard teachings. I bet you've studied this, so what is going on?

I don’t think it’s that extreme at all. I saw a man own his driver today. That doesn’t mean that driver would work for me. Older club can be purchased so people aren’t relegated to new, expensive gear. I don’t think new tech is drive by people away. And the rules of the game are out dated.[/QUOTE

New club tech is 100% fine, and certainly there's a match for everyone. But in terms of attracting people with "distance", "forgiveness", they over-sell performance in relation to their target market and folks become discouraged. I was at an event with a tour professional. People handed him their club...any club...ladies / men's....and he killed the ball, he even did "Happy Gilmore" shots with their clubs, went so far as to run to hit while someone yelled "draw" or "fade"...and hit each. I'd like to know how he could do that considering running to the ball is the opposite of standard teachings. I bet you've studied this, so what is going on?

Talent

And for everyone else LOFT

i came in to say something similar, though not that i agree with that youtuber.

i think most of us would agree that center-face contact with proper angles will produce very similar results among many drivers. the giants of the game have been driving the ball 300 yards for quite awhile. where we benefit is in the misses.

so for a youtuber who has a great swing, or the guy op played with today, no, the new tech won't make that much of a difference. but for those of us who miss, yes, new tech is vastly superior.

Agreed. A guy that can tattoo it on the screws will see little if any benefit from the latest and greatest. It those of us that miss the screws more often that are getting the benefits of the new stuff. It's not a matter of distance for us, it's a matter of forgiveness.

There's a guy I've played with a couple times at my course who has this old Burner driver and he puts on a driving clinic. I asked if he has considered getting fit for something new and he literally looked at me like I was an idiot and with a blank stare just said "You're away."

Point taken lol.

:laughing:

That's freaking awesome.

I still rock the 2009 cleveland launcher 3W, as I haven't been able to beat it with anything I have tried so far. I do expect it will get kicked out sometime soon, but there are some older clubs that were really well made.

At my club our club champion who carries a +2 hdcp games a Ping I20 driver, older Titleist 980 series FW, AP2 710 Irons, old 588 wedges which are browned like you would not believe and a old Ping Piper CS putter with a raggedy old grip. He smokes us almost everyday we tee it up. He says he has no need to change what works.

for every master who pures their titleist 975, there's a hundred hackers with equally old equipment who play just as terribly as they would with new equipment

As they always say, "It's not the arrow, it's the Indian.". I remember a time when I play a game of pool with my own pool cue against a guy who played me with a broomstick! He whipped my a$$. AND took a couple of dollars from me! Some people can play with anything and beat you. Reminds me of what they used to say about Chuck Yeager that he could whip your tail with his airplane and then turn around and whip your tail in your airplane! Anybody remember 'Tin Cup' and playing with a shovel, etc?

Point taken lol.

That’s awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I still use the old tech I just wish I could deliver some beat downs with it haha.

Dan

Point taken lol.

Awesome.

My PGA pro told me a story about playing with an early 50's guy who smoked his butt at SilverRock in CA. My pro said the guy appeared to consider the backswing as an afterthought. Some backswings were flat...some "normal", others more vertical. So my Pro said he asked him about his different backswings. The guy said it didn't make a darn bit of difference because he could feel where the clubhead was at the top, and his body adjusted accordingly to return them to impact position...same place every time.

I loved my 983, but I still own my 975D. I should bust that sucker out and do a head to head.

Back