Old tech vs new tech

Tadashi70

Reaction score
Handicap
So I played golf today with a guy that had a Titleist 983 with a green E-i70 shaft. He weighed in at 170 tops and stood 5’8”. He hit that old school tech onto the first green, past me on 3,4, 11,12...you get the picture.

We started chatting about my Epic with the UST shaft and how much he liked the look and the flight of my ball. But we laughed because he got more out of his 10 yr driver than I did with my tech heavy driver. He asked if I thought he could get more out of the latest and greatest. I told him, I doubt it but he should give it a try.

Have you guys run into this situation. Where old tech is out playing your new tech.

I think the tech gets you to and around the green better but you still have to get the ball in the hole.

My answer to the final question is yes and no. Depends on how good the person is. You could play with anything and beat me every single day. But some people I play with sometimes I could do the same to. The people who play most like me I think we'd split it 50/50 just like we always do.

Did he hit your Epic?

I know a guy who hit's his old titleist (maybe even 983?) well over 300 yards. And his Taylormade RAC irons like an SOB. He's about a 10 cap when he's playing his best though. I think he'd really shine if he got fit for a driver just to bring his dispersion in, and played a newer iron that helped any mishits.

Also a putting lesson :angel:

So I played golf today with a guy that had a Titleist 983 with a green E-i70 shaft. He weighed in at 170 tops and stood 5’8”. He hit that old school tech onto the first green, past me on 3,4, 11,12...you get the picture.

We started chatting about my Epic with the UST shaft and how much he liked the look and the flight of my ball. But we laughed because he got more out of his 10 yr driver than I did with my tech heavy driver. He asked if I thought he could get more out of the latest and greatest. I told him, I doubt it but he should give it a try.

Have you guys run into this situation. Where old tech is out playing your new tech.

The main question is did it make you think the new tech isn’t all it’s cracked up to be? Did you ever actually play with wooden clubs? Just curious.

It's all about freely swinging IMO. I watched kids in the Drive, Chip, and Putt contest at the Masters...the whole thing...because I was so intrigued by how these small kids have figured a way to use EVERY OUNCE of weight of their drivers, combined with centrifugal force, to hit well over 200 yards. I mean some of these girls were like 12 years old and out-hitting the boys. Check out Vijay's right hand at impact....it's basically off the club...also Couples.

Not to that extent but my brother keeps his clubs seemingly forever and is a + handicap. Up until last year he was playing an Amp Cell driver and X Hot irons. His hybrid is probably 6-8 years old.

I recall about 8-10 years ago when an older gentleman asked if he could join us which we naturally said of course. I'd say this fellow was mid-60's and had a set of clubs that appeared to be as old as himself. No headcovers on the woods and definitely showed some mileage. Man, could this guy play. He not only was out-driving all 3 of us (10-15 years his junior) but was hitting it further than other low (2-3) handicap, mid 20' brutes that were also part of our regular group.

I can't recall what he scored but he put on a display like no other. I have never seen him since but what an experience. We each had more invested in our driver than the total value of all his clubs. It demonstrated to me that equipment does not necessarily make a game. Quite an eye opener.

All I can say regarding the question is that I hit my old R7 Quad a hundred times better than with the piece of **** Burner Superfast that I replaced it with.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

The main question is did it make you think the new tech isn’t all it’s cracked up to be? Did you ever actually play with wooden clubs? Just curious.

Not at all. The advances that I have seen through the years is nothing short of amazing. And I’m pretty sure if he could get as comfortable with new tech he would add distance to his already long game.

I have a couple sets of persimmon woods at my parents house. Along with my old ping eye2s and MacGregor VIP blades.

Old tech beats me nearly weekend. Two of the better players I know haven’t changed anything in a long time. The better of the two has clubs over ten years old. Lesson learned- the better player shines over equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recall about 8-10 years ago when an older gentleman asked if he could join us which we naturally said of course. I'd say this fellow was mid-60's and had a set of clubs that appeared to be as old as himself. No headcovers on the woods and definitely showed some mileage. Man, could this guy play. He not only was out-driving all 3 of us (10-15 years his junior) but was hitting it further than other low (2-3) handicap, mid 20' brutes that were also part of our regular group.

I can't recall what he scored but he put on a display like no other. I have never seen him since but what an experience. We each had more invested in our driver than the total value of all his clubs. It demonstrated to me that equipment does not necessarily make a game. Quite an eye opener.

GREAT POST! Go on the equipment thread and you'll get tons of hate mail. I suggest, if I may, that you consider buying Percy Boomers book on the golf swing. No tiresome mechanics....all about the physics of golf. I swing the club like it weighs 20 pounds, which means I use my lower body to create stored energy on the backswing, and depending upon how fast I uncoil, the ball goes a certain distance. Wedge play is like stupid-easy now. My right hand was actually coming off the club at impact last Sunday....aka Vijay and Freddie...it happened....didn't even try.

GREAT POST! Go on the equipment thread and you'll get tons of hate mail. I suggest, if I may, that you consider buying Percy Boomers book on the golf swing. No tiresome mechanics....all about the physics of golf. I swing the club like it weighs 20 pounds, which means I use my lower body to create stored energy on the backswing, and depending upon how fast I uncoil, the ball goes a certain distance. Wedge play is like stupid-easy now. My right hand was actually coming off the club at impact last Sunday....aka Vijay and Freddie...it happened....didn't even try.

Thanks....trust me I love shiny and new! It was just a revelation that this fellow had a swing that could play any club and get maximum performance. I’ll check out the book....thanks.

I’ve ran into the situation where the golfer outplayed me with old tech. The new tech helped make my bad swings have not as bad results, but he was/is a better golfer. With new to him tech he played worse. Then he got a little more comfortable with it and played as well as before. I’m sure if he sticks with it the new tech will outperform his old tech. In my scenario, I think the comfort level played a much larger factor than the tech did. Comfort and consistency is a beautiful thing to watch.

"Beware the old guy with old clubs and new grips."

There's a certain YouTuber named Rick who did an interesting comparison (in my opinion) of Titleist drivers. I think he had their last five releases. Spoiler alert: all the clubs produced similar numbers.

Will I continue to buying shiny new clubs?...yep!

I just thought I'd my best friend too who is still playing the R7 driver that I sold him about a year after I bought it. He still hits it over 300 yards and I've always been curious what results he would see if he got fit for a new one.

All I can say regarding the question is that I hit my old R7 Quad a hundred times better than with the piece of **** Burner Superfast that I replaced it with.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

How I miss my old R7 Superquad TP ....best driver ever owned, was a bomber (mind you I was younger) and could work ball bubba style. Darn face eventually cracked after 3 years. Never found the same setup since and I have looked.

I just thought I'd my best friend too who is still playing the R7 driver that I sold him about a year after I bought it. He still hits it over 300 yards and I've always been curious what results he would see if he got fit for a new one.

Someone like that really needs to get fit. He may see very little ball speed increase but you can easily gain 10-20 yards optimizing launch and spin. You can also easily buy something off the rack and not see any increase.

There's a certain YouTuber named Rick who did an interesting comparison (in my opinion) of Titleist drivers. I think he had their last five releases. Spoiler alert: all the clubs produced similar numbers.

Will I continue to buying shiny new clubs?...yep!

i came in to say something similar, though not that i agree with that youtuber.

i think most of us would agree that center-face contact with proper angles will produce very similar results among many drivers. the giants of the game have been driving the ball 300 yards for quite awhile. where we benefit is in the misses.

so for a youtuber who has a great swing, or the guy op played with today, no, the new tech won't make that much of a difference. but for those of us who miss, yes, new tech is vastly superior.

Absolutely, the random player of similar or better ability has outplayed me with old tech.

As for myself and old tech, not out-playing because due to the forgiveness factor, my Epic is far superior to any previous driver I've played.

But as to pure distance on flushed shots, my old TM r7 Limited TP is longer.

Consistent distance though, great shot to imperfect shot, cumulative distance goes to the Epic.

Thanks....trust me I love shiny and new! It was just a revelation that this fellow had a swing that could play any club and get maximum performance. I’ll check out the book....thanks.

The golf industry is it's own worst enemy...sure they want folks to buy new clubs...and new clubs are fun....but at the same time it's also driving people away from the game. So now the USGA is blaming "rules" on lack of participation. It's not the rules....it's over exhaustion of over-instruction.

I mean it's to the point where if I asked you to throw a tennis ball to me from 10 feet, they'd step in and suggest a laser finder...is it 9.8 or 10.2 feet? Then provide endless Konica ultra-slow motion examples of how to toss the ball. Then experts post 10,000 video's, breaking down every inch of movement. Then arm "aids" to help send the ball on it's 'intended" path. Then increasingly heavier balls to "get the feel".

JUST THROW THE DARN BALL!

The golf industry is it's own worst enemy...sure they want folks to buy new clubs...and new clubs are fun....but at the same time it's also driving people away from the game. So now the USGA is blaming "rules" on lack of participation. It's not the rules....it's over exhaustion of over-instruction.

I mean it's to the point where if I asked you to throw a tennis ball to me from 10 feet, they'd step in and suggest a laser finder...is it 9.8 or 10.2 feet? Then provide endless Konica ultra-slow motion examples of how to toss the ball. Then experts post 10,000 video's, breaking down every inch of movement. Then arm "aids" to help send the ball on it's 'intended" path. Then increasingly heavier balls to "get the feel".

JUST THROW THE DARN BALL!

I don’t think it’s that extreme at all. I saw a man own his driver today. That doesn’t mean that driver would work for me. Older club can be purchased so people aren’t relegated to new, expensive gear. I don’t think new tech is drive by people away. And the rules of the game are out dated.

i came in to say something similar, though not that i agree with that youtuber.

i think most of us would agree that center-face contact with proper angles will produce very similar results among many drivers. the giants of the game have been driving the ball 300 yards for quite awhile. where we benefit is in the misses.

so for a youtuber who has a great swing, or the guy op played with today, no, the new tech won't make that much of a difference. but for those of us who miss, yes, new tech is vastly superior.

Yep!, I think it's fair to say our opinions match one another.

To me new tech will only take a sub par player so far and it comes back to fundamentals of the swing. Old tech (not super old tech) doesn’t really hold a good player back as much. Could they benefit? Probably? Do they need to groove a new swing and get comfy with the new girl friend (new tech) vs their tried and true wife (old tech)? That could be a huge hurdle to overcome and not worth it for many

I do think the technology in balls has come a long way though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

There's a guy I've played with a couple times at my course who has this old Burner driver and he puts on a driving clinic. I asked if he has considered getting fit for something new and he literally looked at me like I was an idiot and with a blank stare just said "You're away."

Point taken lol.

Back