My 3 wood debacle.

ezpeasy

Reaction score
Handicap
Lately, I have found myself trying to find a 3 wood that works, but I have been having some trouble. I currently have a Ping G400 13 degree, which I hit way too high and floats on me way too much. I have tried a few different shafts but the results haven't been much better. I've heard good things about the new Taylormade Woods, but they don't make woods in a 13.5 loft, and for my bag to make sense in terms of gapping I need a strong 3 wood.

Do you guys have any suggestions on strong 3 woods that have been effective for you?

My old wood was a TM rbz stage 2 tour 13* that was a bullet off the tee but just too difficult for me to hit off the ground, plus I think had a long shaft. Upgraded to a rogue 4w and it goes as far as the old 3+.

Sorry not quite answering your question, and I'm a bit biased as the rogue is great for me and had only minimally tested out other lines.

Ps if you want to buy a used rbz stage 2 tour to try out I have one lol

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I have a Taylor made rbz tour 13*. I used to play it and I love it. One of the longest 3wds I’ve ever owned.. I had trouble hitting it off the ground until I changed the shaft to a 55g x flex tour AD PURPLE ICE. And after that it got even longer with the light shaft. And I could it hit off the ground much easier. Making it a par 5 weapon. You should find you one on eBay. I’m sure they are relatively inexpensive now. Maybe a light shaft will help you hit it off the deck too...

My old wood was a TM rbz stage 2 tour 13* that was a bullet off the tee but just too difficult for me to hit off the ground, plus I think had a long shaft. Upgraded to a rogue 4w and it goes as far as the old 3+.

Sorry not quite answering your question, and I'm a bit biased as the rogue is great for me and had only minimally tested out other lines.

Ps if you want to buy a used rbz stage 2 tour to try out I have one lol

What shaft is in it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you tries the 13.5 Epic Sub Zero? Strong, long and forgiving. Performs so well for me that I couldn't replace it with the Rogue Sub Zero, despite trying.

To back up the above post. The Calloway sub zero is very long. I like it a lot

What shaft is in it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Standard "rocketfuel" stiff
29760a0b7b1e22402c22a652dc3ca32a.jpg
637519ad19fde933d7eb41a8df827a34.jpg

i think you want to focus more on the head, and less on the shaft. i think tour edge makes some great fairway woods. maybe one of the beta models.

I just picked up an exotics ex10beta.. love it. Easy to hit and long. Low spin should help with your high spin shots.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Two questions ezpeazy: How did you come to have the Alta CB X stiff in your Ping 3-wood? When you say you balloon it, is that on the tee, off the fairway, or both?

I was fit into that shaft by a Ping rep. I balloon it both off the tee and off the deck. The flight is useful for holding greens when going for par 5's, but really hurts in terms of roll and wind play.

At your swing speed, you aren't alone in experiencing a too high ball flight and too steep an angle of descent with the Alta. Did you try the Xtorsion Copper? Lots of G400 golfers at your swing speed say it really outperforms the Alta CB in terms of ball flight and dispersion. A couple of people dropped a Ping Tour 65 in that head and got good results after playing around with the length and swing weight.

i think you want to focus more on the head, and less on the shaft. i think tour edge makes some great fairway woods. maybe one of the beta models.

Agreed. The EX10 Beta line is ridiculous!

Two questions ezpeazy: How did you come to have the Alta CB X stiff in your Ping 3-wood? When you say you balloon it, is that on the tee, off the fairway, or both?

It seems like the Ping Tour 75 X may be a better option especially if the Alta CB is launching too high.

If you hit that 13 too high, look at the Tour Edge Exotics CBX. Lower launch than the Ping, Callaway, and EX10 Beta, and ludicrous ball speeds.

Tour Edge is where I would look. In addition to the Beta, I would look at the CBX.

Rogue SZ 3+ or a new Tour Edge could help you out a bit.

I had the same issue with the stock shaft in my G30 3 Wood. Went with the tour 65 shaft and worked a treat.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Back