What’s the weakest part of your game?!? All handicaps

Drhoward

Reaction score
Handicap
+3.0
I WANT TO OPEN THIS DISCUSSION TO EVERY HANDICAP LEVEL.

what issues do you have in your game that holds you back from being even better? What’s the weakest part of your game? Putting? Driving? Iron play? Course management? For me it’s course management. I am a +3.0 golfer and I have a lot of great qualities in my game. I hit the ball a ton. Strike it very well, iron game strong. Putter very solid. But I take to many chances trying to get low that cost me. My mental game is the weakest area for me followed by by chipping. What about you guys?!?

Wedges without a doubt. I’m hoping the Cbx can help me put.

Outside 150 is a big drop off, my home course is only mid 6400's so don't have many long shots into par 4's. My driving is very hit or miss but wouldn't say it is weak. Partial wedges have been a bit off but that will come around and not worried. That is a lot of answers to an easy question. I can say putting is the strongest part of my game.

Short game by s large margin.

Tee game is 2nd

For me it's iron play. I make solid contact most of the time but I tend to be more directionally challenged than other players of my skill level. I go through streaks of brilliance where I think I've got it all figured out but then the weakness always shows up again.

I hear good things about that wedge. Fingers crossed!

Putting is the strongest part of my game too. I try my best to have full shots with my wedges and stay away from half shots that helped me alot

Which direction do you miss in most?

chipping, pitching and sand. i'm hoping 2018 is the year i get it figured out. driving and iron play is decent, but a missed green is a bogey or worse.

I’m a terrible golfer. I might break 100 a couple of times a year. The worst part of my game is by far my putting. I’m just terrible at it. Three putts are routing, and I usually have at least a couple of four putts a round. I call myself a “half or double” putter. I frequently hit the ball half as far or twice as far I need to.

chipping, pitching and sand. i'm hoping 2018 is the year i get it figured out. driving and iron play is decent, but a missed green is a bogey or worse.

What do you chip with mostley? Also what is your miss in the sand? Do you skull it or hit it fat?

I'm one who generally thinks all areas of my game have room for improvement. But I'd have to say driving distance is the thing holding me back the most. I top out around 250-260 yards under normal conditions, so I'm long enough. But at 60+ I'm not going to see much distance improvement, especially since my numbers for things like launch angle and smash factor are pretty maxed out, and I've been working out and eating right for years.

I have some swing flaws that make iron play a challenge.

I’m a terrible golfer. I might break 100 a couple of times a year. The worst part of my game is by far my putting. I’m just terrible at it. Three putts are routing, and I usually have at least a couple of four putts a round. I call myself a “half or double” putter. I frequently hit the ball half as far or twice as far I need to.

LOL! I’ve never heard that before. It sound like to me if your missing both long and short that your moving or swaying when you take the club back.. once you address the ball try and stay as still as you can. Don’t move your head. Don’t over extent on your back swing and keep your head down all the way thru your strike of the ball... let your swing bring your head back up to see the ball... to practice this keep your head down as long as you can even after the hit..once you start staying still I have a good feeling you will strike the ball much more consistent =)

Last edited:
What do you chip with mostley? Also what is your miss in the sand? Do you skull it or hit it fat?

either 54 or 58 around the greens. both wedges have max bounce. my miss could be chunky or thin, almost always way out toward the toe with no spin. i think it's a combo of a poor setup (shoulders very closed), and an overactive lower body.

sand is thin 95% of the time. i think it's a lower body issue.

What type of swing flaws?

Early release, lost spine angle and inside swing path. That leads to a positive AoA and other stuff.

Putting, always putting.

either 54 or 58 around the greens. both wedges have max bounce. my miss could be chunky or thin, almost always way out toward the toe with no spin. i think it's a combo of a poor setup (shoulders very closed), and an overactive lower body.

sand is thin 95% of the time. i think it's a lower body issue.

To make it simple I would play my chips like this. If you have a chip shot that you need to run a bit. Like if your chipping to a pin with room to roll used less loft and most important play it on your back foot. Make sure that you preset your hands with a forward angle in front of the ball and basically take a putter stroke. Keep the angle that you set.. if you want it to stop faster or hit it higher you do the same thing but play it off your front foot. Same swing. Like a putter stroke. Keep the angle all the way through.

As far as the sand shot. You want you weight a little to the front. Open the face and hit the sand behind the ball. Not the ball it self. If you want to go further you hit closer to the ball but not the ball it self.. if you want it to come out soft. You hit a bit further behind the ball. Believe it or not sand shots aren’t all the hard.. just practice staying still as you can and focus hitting the sand behind the ball with a descending blow. I think you see some progress. Hope that helps you!

But only relative to the strong other parts of your game, right?

My irons are always pretty solid. Im a bit erratic off the tee with driver but never to a point I can not recover. My wedges are pretty good as well. I would be well advised to try and hit more center of green shots but no guts, no glory.

To make it simple I would play my chips like this. If you have a chip shot that you need to run a bit. Like if your chipping to a pin with room to roll used less loft and most important play it on your back foot. Make sure that you preset your hands with a forward angle in front of the ball and basically take a putter stroke. Keep the angle that you set.. if you want it to stop faster or hit it higher you do the same thing but play it off your front foot. Same swing. Like a putter stroke. Keep the angle all the way through.

As far as the sand shot. You want you weight a little to the front. Open the face and hit the sand behind the ball. Not the ball it self. If you want to go further you hit closer to the ball but not the ball it self.. if you want it to come out soft. You hit a bit further behind the ball. Believe it or not sand shots aren’t all the hard.. just practice staying still as you can and focus hitting the sand behind the ball with a descending blow. I think you see some progress. Hope that helps you!

i appreciate the tips. it's all in my head. it's executing the mechanics that has completely broken down. there is a disconnect between the know-how and the execution right now.

Lofted chips and high short pitches.

Used to have flop shots and short touch shots that got air. With the move to the south and bermuda rough being the norm, I've lost the ability as even a somewhat nestled ball in bermuda gives me fits.

I've adapted to functionally give myself a chance for an up & down but the lofted chip or flop is still absent from my game.

Rats.

Back