BBQ and Outdoor Cooking Thread

I'm wanting to smoke a turkey breast this year and I'm seeing a lot of you are smoking your turkeys or turkey breasts this year and I'd like to know the following:

Are you doing whole turkey or breast:
Type of cooker being used:
Brining recipe:
Seasonings or stuffings being used:
Type of fuel and/or flavor of chips:

I'm not doing one for turkey day but do breasts when I find them at a good price.

I like a simple salt and brown sugar brine, use an ECB style cooker and typically stick to fruitwood for smoke. Apple is my go to.

i'm just getting into the smoking BBQing, thinking about getting a traeger pellet grill or a kettle with smokentor attachment.

Rob, How did it end up? You can lie to us if you need to. :act-up:

It was TREMENDOUS! I'd cut back on the salt next time, though. It was my first all-day smoke and I'd do it again.

I'm wanting to smoke a turkey breast this year and I'm seeing a lot of you are smoking your turkeys or turkey breasts this year and I'd like to know the following:

Brining recipe:

I'll be doing a 10 pounder to accompany a traditional turkey this year.

-whole turkey
- pit barrel cooker
- I am using a maple brine recipe along with a maple glaze and mop. If you scroll up you will see a picture of a test chicken I did.... Delicious.
- no stuffing, seasoning I'll use a rub recipe that I use on everything, binding coat is maple syrup.
- I am using charcoal mixed with chunks of cherry wood.

I have the recipes if your interested.

My sister in law is brining another turkey in a basic brine but adding orange slices along with some aromatics. I'm curious how much citrus flavor the turkey will pick up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is awesome, first time seeing this thread! My dad is huge into this and has won a few world championships (American Royal, Texas Livestock and rodeo...) I help him out all the time. We will definitely have a turkey on the smoker this week!

4fd519ce5e499069a226f3794d0d71d1.jpg
. Ready to smoke my turkey

Brining recipe:
14 lb whole bird.
I inject it with Creole butter.
Do it on the #BGE on a vertical rack.
#BGE natural wood charcoal and Apple tree chunks

Turns out great

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

I'll have two birds going tomorrow. 13 lb turkey on the Weber charcoal grill, and we also have a 6 lb breast that I'll do on the Traeger pellet smoker.

The whole turkey came pre-brined from Trader Joes, but I'll brine the breast in water, amber ale, kosher salt and brown sugar, with a bay leaf or two. Never done the turkey breast on the traeger before, so I'll be teeing this one up without a practice round.

Apple pellets seems right, but I also have some Premium Blend Q Pellets that are a combination of hickory, maple and cherry that could work too.

My wife is doing all the other preparation and sides for the family dinner, so as long as I don't mess up my part, all will be well.

BBQ & Smoking Food Thread

BBQ & Smoking Food Thread

Have my ribs on the Traeger right now. Will put the bird on at 7 in the morning and the ham on at 10:30. All for a 1pm feast.

I am using pecan on the ribs then with the bird I will use apple and maple pellets.

Brining recipe:

My recipe for brine
6 bay leaves
6 sprigs of thyme
8 sage leaves
1 medium white onion chopped
3 cups good quality maple syrup
1 cup of brown sugar
1 head of garlic
1/2 cup of salt

This is for a 6 lb turkey breast, so multiply out if necessary. Fill a large container with water covering the turkey and mix these ingredients. Stir until well mixed and then cover for 24 hours.

I use a Kamado grill
I use cherry wood chucks (3 of them) along with lump charcoal for fuel
Not much glaze here other than a thin layer of maple syrup, water and bbq sauce (super thin) about a half hour before done.

Droool! JB, the Maple BBq glaze sounds killer!

Same recipe as last year and it was the best turkey I have ever had.

I might steal that recipe and use it in a week once all the turkey goes on sale. I have some high-test maple syrup straight from VT sitting in my fridge staring at me, begging to be used.

About how long do you cook it for, and at what temp?

I might steal that recipe and use it in a week once all the turkey goes on sale. I have some high-test maple syrup straight from VT sitting in my fridge staring at me, begging to be used.

About how long do you cook it for, and at what temp?

250* in the smoker and while they say 1 lb per hour, its closer to a lb per half hour. I use an internal temperature to make sure its at 165.

250* in the smoker and while they say 1 lb per hour, its closer to a lb per half hour. I use an internal temperature to make sure its at 165.

Awesome, thanks.

Prepping the bird now and the smoker is ready to go. Gonna start the fire around 10pm and start cooking at midnight. Will check on it once or twice at night but should be good with the CyberQ temperature guru. Using a rub rub and cajun injection on the turkey.

d2c43faf74449c72e567a48255c3efbb.jpg

dd392cc4e231c1c273ebe90f72dd3914.jpg

Bird is brining and going in smoker at 8am tomorrow for a solid 5-5.5 hours. Gonna be yummy!

426701b457b54a558a92e7eb542d6906.jpg

Bird is done

f3ff7719fcf851b6271977b10b2c92fd.jpg

Boston butt going on now

Prepping the bird now and the smoker is ready to go. Gonna start the fire around 10pm and start cooking at midnight. Will check on it once or twice at night but should be good with the CyberQ temperature guru. Using a rub rub and cajun injection on the turkey.

d2c43faf74449c72e567a48255c3efbb.jpg

dd392cc4e231c1c273ebe90f72dd3914.jpg

What smoker is that?

Spicewine Ironworks. It is my neighbors competition smoker. He's letting me use it since I'm cat sitting for him all week.

Just put the bird in the smoker. No brine, I always just make a good rub, rub it down and seal it up for 24ish hours and let her rip.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Just put two 13 pounders in the smoker. Brined and injected.

The bird is at 159*. Getting close.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

This thread is better with more pics. It all sounds great guys enjoy it.

Back