Stepped shaft vs rifle shaft Vs graphite

Brucem609

Rum Afficianado
Reaction score
Handicap
Being quite the novice when it comes to these things and trying to be more accurate with my irons I am looking at all kinds of stuff - shaft related.
I currently game the Ping G irons with the AWT 2.0 shafts. I like them but have no idea if I could get better accuracy out of them.
i had wrist and elbow surgery in January and got 100% clearance yesterday.
Can somebody help - are my shafts good enough?
Would I get better accuracy tighter dispersion with rifle shaft? Should it be aligned and frequency matched?
would graphite be better? What gains do I get here?
Lile to be knowledgeable prior to going to the golf shop.
thanks

After having wrist and elbow surgery, I think your best bet would be to go with graphite shafts. They significantly dampen vibration in comarison to steel and it would seem like vibration would be something you would want to aviod after surgery on those body parts.

Graphite would be better for your arms and wrist's like Sox said but you should try a sample club before you buy a set. I am sure its in my head but I just cannot hit a graphite shafted iron. I don't care for light weight steel shafts either. I rented a set of clubs on vacation and used a cheap steel shafted driver and hit it as good or better than my gamers. When I struggle with my driver, pretty much always lol I consider putting a steel shaft in and see what happens.

Dan

I'm a big proponent of graphite irons shafts for a lot of reasons. More consistency in manufacturing leads to more consistent results, more efficient transfer of energy throughout the golf swing, and much better vibration dampening so it's easier on your joints.

All that being said, you still need to be fit. Just like steel shafts, if you pick the wrong profile shaft, you're not gonna have great results and may not like the feel of them. They're not for everyone either, some people just can't find a graphite option they enjoy. So don't limit yourself either. Hope that helped.

You’re not going to find a “better” shaft than the AWT 2.0 made by Nippon. Maybe a better option exists for you personally in terms of weight, stiffness, and feel but if you’re sticking with steel you’re in good shape.

Agreed on getting fit if you go graphite...that’s one expensive experiment to do on your own.

Back