THPer Testing: Ping G400 vs G400 Max vs G400 LST

Same here, but it’s interest that all 4 of us performed better with the lst over the others, I wonder why though. Would be cool to see individual results

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All 4 took some spin off the ball, without too much of a launch angle lost. That is a recipe for increased carry (generally speaking).

Really interesting data. Based on all the reviews I have read, I expected the G400 to be closer to the LST in regards to spin and distance than this data shows and that the Max had the worst dispersion. Was thinking the G400 would be the best fit for me but know I'm not so sure that it wouldn't be the LST.

With the limited number of balls hit, I'd love to see the breakdown by player. Moreso because reading the player descriptions I would think at least 2 tend to be higher spin, with perhaps a 3rd being there too. With the same shaft being used, I'm curious as to the limited number of shots. I understand it more in a fitting where shafts are being changed out and there is the thought of altering the swing, but here its slightly different IMO.

I’m really shallow on.. everything. My numbers on average with each were in the mid 3000’s, with only one drive under 3000. Ball speed and launch were really good, with a max of 161 and launch in the mid teens.

I don’t think I hit a poorly struck drive on any of the shots, so it wouldn’t have mattered if it were one ball each, three balls each, or five. Every ball was gonna spin like a top, and the G400 was gonna go left lol

First off I appreciate the mulligan I was given with my heel shot about 175 yard carry pulled left going 10 feet off the ground tops haha.

Same shaft, but handed the 3 different drivers at random. I knew which one I liked the most when I actually tagged a good one carrying like 235 followed up by another solid drive, but I couldn't tell what it was until we were told that we all hit the LST the best.

I’m really shallow on.. everything. My numbers on average with each were in the mid 3000’s, with only one drive under 3000. Ball speed and launch were really good, with a max of 161 and launch in the mid teens.

I don’t think I hit a poorly struck drive on any of the shots, so it wouldn’t have mattered if it were one ball each, three balls each, or five. Every ball was gonna spin like a top, and the G400 was gonna go left lol

Well duh, you are a machine. For you did G400 go more left than Max?

Not sure if JB deleted his reply or not, but I saw him say that Wardy was 7 yards more left with g400.

So now a follow up. How many guys missed way right to cancel out Wary's left miss? Did those get calculated in to the final numbers like that? Always find dispersion numbers can be really skewed by heavy misses to each side.

Well duh, you are a machine. For you did G400 go more left than Max?

Max was either straight with a fall right fade, or a bit of a spinny fade. G400: 3 swings, 3 pulls that fell off to the left. Somethin about that clubhead and I did not agree. LST was straight, spinny fade, straight with a fall away fade.

Interesting numbers. I went back and forth between the Max and the LST and ending up going with the Max. Now Im second guessing myself, but I look forward to playing with shaft combos to see what kind of numbers I get.

Not sure if JB deleted his reply or not, but I saw him say that Wardy was 7 yards more left with g400.

So now a follow up. How many guys missed way right to cancel out Wary's left miss? Did those get calculated in to the final numbers like that? Always find dispersion numbers can be really skewed by heavy misses to each side.

I deleted to follow up with more information.

Mward missed on average 7 yards more left with the G400 than any of the others. Nobody missed heavy to either side, ironically enough. Jdtox was pretty much a 5 yard draw with all of them. Cobra had 2 that were 11 yards left and two that were missed right. Dwchockey took an interesting path to the center, but was close to the center line on all of his shots. Mward explained his.

THPer Testing: Ping G400 vs G400 Max vs G400 LST

If my numbers are being included in the test, it doesn’t matter if 8 other people hit a draw, the average will be right of center, JB was being very nice when he said I hit a slightly bigger fade, I normally aim left of fairway and wind up somewhere between the middle of the fairway and right rough. It’s more of a slice but I can normally play for it

If my numbers are being included in the test, it doesn’t matter if 8 other people hit a draw, the average will be right of center, JB was being very nice when he said I hit a slightly bigger fade, I normally aim left of fairway and wind up somewhere between the right fairway and right rough. It’s more of a slice but I can normally play for it

Not according to the numbers. You definitely start WAY left, but the ball ended up pretty close to center. The Max did spin a bit much for you and you struggled to control that one (but had a slight pull that evened it out)

Not according to the numbers. You definitely start WAY left, but the ball ended up pretty close to center. The Max did spin a bit much for you and you struggled to control that one (but had a slight pull that evened it out)

Yeah I saw your post and edited mine, this will be for another thread but that OTT move definitely makes holes with trees short left hard for me. Open range and most the time I can control the fade, I didn’t know which driver it was (you just confirmed it was the max) but that one I couldn’t control how much fade it had

The LST is looking like a special driver. The Max has got some serious ball speed though, probably why Finau is gaming it.

Nice job JB. Heading to a Ping Demo Day this Saturday to hit these. I wonder what drivers/irons they'll have available in LH.

The LST is looking like a special driver. The Max has got some serious ball speed though, probably why Finau is gaming it.

If I recall correctly there was an increase in ball speed with one of them which likely was the Max but with it came more spin. A couple shots did balloon on me pretty noticeably. The Alta shaft has a real nice feel to it and it does look good as well

Max was either straight with a fall right fade, or a bit of a spinny fade. G400: 3 swings, 3 pulls that fell off to the left. Somethin about that clubhead and I did not agree. LST was straight, spinny fade, straight with a fall away fade.

I'm really interested in why the G400 wouldn't work as well as the others despite such a similar profile and appearance. Are the weights of the clubheads different?
Did the other guys also struggle to get comfortable with the G400? Is that why the results came back so inferior to the others?

I like threads like this one. Makes for really interesting discussion.

If I recall correctly there was an increase in ball speed with one of them which likely was the Max but with it came more spin. A couple shots did balloon on me pretty noticeably. The Alta shaft has a real nice feel to it and it does look good as well

I believe both of ours had a really high ball speed, but spinny. I remember mine was a 161 ball speed, but mid 3000's spin. Really good carry, but that would frustrate me to know how much I was leaving on the table cause of spin.

Interesting read. I’m getting ready to demo these myself and had thought the Max would fit well for extra forgiveness. But it didn’t win the dispersion test here..

I believe both of ours had a really high ball speed, but spinny. I remember mine was a 161 ball speed, but mid 3000's spin. Really good carry, but that would frustrate me to know how much I was leaving on the table cause of spin.

I assume if you went with that driver you wouldn't stick with the Alta shaft? 160+ ball speed for someone just covering 100mph in swing speed is pretty special. I bet getting a better fit shaft in there for you would make it an easy choice to game.

I'm really interested in why the G400 wouldn't work as well as the others despite such a similar profile and appearance. Are the weights of the clubheads different?
Did the other guys also struggle to get comfortable with the G400? Is that why the results came back so inferior to the others?

I like threads like this one. Makes for really interesting discussion.

No idea man. We were asked not to see the bottom of each club to see which was which, so it was swing, hand club back, get other club, repeat. Literally every one with it was the same pull. 6 other times, same'ish ball flight. G400 just wasn't workin for me.

As far as if someone said hey, you get a free Ping driver so name it.. I'd be going LST, likely something in that 8-9 degree range, with something low or low-mid launch and low spin. Also, cotton balls. The sound is on the higher side after years of getting used to Taylormade and Callaway driver sounds. That softer thud is just something I'm accustomed to.

Love seeing some testing going on. Older models, I know, but I found the same thing when I was fit into the G30 LST, by Club Champion, and the fitter explained that most of the folks they were putting into the G30 series, at that time, were going into the LST as well, over the regular G30.

No idea man. We were asked not to see the bottom of each club to see which was which, so it was swing, hand club back, get other club, repeat. Literally every one with it was the same pull. 6 other times, same'ish ball flight. G400 just wasn't workin for me.

As far as if someone said hey, you get a free Ping driver so name it.. I'd be going LST, likely something in that 8-9 degree range, with something low or low-mid launch and low spin. Also, cotton balls. The sound is on the higher side after years of getting used to Taylormade and Callaway driver sounds. That softer thud is just something I'm accustomed to.

I don't blame you. With my spin issues I'm always leaning towards the lowest option available as well - which based on the averages it looks like the group you're with are much the same -- Although I bet at least one of them could be optimized if they moved away from Alta. I'm still blown away by the 160+ ball speed. Was that with the max? I've always gone off this chart here for what's possible;

52acf2eaf742dca5df561283f7590338.png

So that head is basically beating the Trackman charts. Get a good fitting shaft to get the spin down and man.. Bombs for days.

Great testing guys! Well done @JB ... I have been interested in these drivers for a while and seeing these numbers quantify my suspicions. I've heard a few players not too keen on the sound of the MAX, nor that it's all that it's cracked up to be. Not as explosive as some are claiming. (another forum)

I don't blame you. With my spin issues I'm always leaning towards the lowest option available as well - which based on the averages it looks like the group you're with are much the same -- Although I bet at least one of them could be optimized if they moved away from Alta. I'm still blown away by the 160+ ball speed. Was that with the max? I've always gone off this chart here for what's possible;

So that head is basically beating the Trackman charts. Get a good fitting shaft to get the spin down and man.. Bombs for days.

I think the 161 was from the LST, and the swing speed *may* have been a little higher than 104. The GC quad view didn't show swing speed. It did show a 161, and an AoA a *bit* higher than the 5.

I used to hate that chart. But then I hit this(m4) and am like, wow that's ok.

OSiYN4l149Pem-tutCHwMk_3jJWmhVD6V--1tQcB9M9Bpo1rZ_O-RZPOsDOVlJSYMp9yKypnBCEKUR3oCx-329v7v3PaOAgN9J-z640CQcDDfn-eNYBcf88W29Hp4xf2E7CRFCULqjYntx5H4x3RpfZKJFEargzsbHOtQHO2oZtdV8tCkv7BY_iAeXExGIvLrOE9JtsqcmKIn8Ly0vtt2eW3aDV7QQTWryyznO4tW9jkd7gp5CMgqxWQQRtpnzdWT2T_WGwVJ2hUchd6nidMvzu0Gvj1JjCy5Xa07kgpMJA73eQSvJNs9rjT4B04xIPChjr2TNBIY3Kl6bqV2OzVaCCgAnaKVDdC6Gs50EEVNztXd15HgyQtPsSTGPinNNzTW9I6NJ1jr9Bufvy5M_qMC9lbJ91GpZVXFceMxzlvfOjn9l6JmZvW24ylLMJWxuVfDCi5ejHSn0CYK1CZ9wS0bxS1AvTbi_WtXEoXB7amglmNwfz7WlsU-bOx6jewkqNt2mNDkHW_sZ7fKKi7wq8hm2Vf8hBhx4VR9wwUv_5P5ZlXG8NpOI86XRuLAwzBriQ6F6deY5X-y9acgdYp2ZAxmKFvb90eBWfym0sAZ9ly=w712-h949-no

Back