Masters and Technology

flog2424

Philippians 4:13
Reaction score
Handicap
I was watching some of the driving range coverage while ago and something hit a nerve....... Trackman and other Golf Specific Tech.... While its normal to see these at ranges all across the various tours, it just seems out of place at Augusta. Since spectators aren't allowed to have cell phones, I wish they would step up and say keep your technology at home for the week boys.

Anyone else annoyed by this?

Nope, I think there's a completely different reason for the cell phone ban.

Honestly, I don't see the correlation. Spectators are allowed to have cameras out during practice rounds, wouldn't that count as a form of technology? These guys are trying to win one of the biggest tournaments in the world. It's a career changer for many. I think it would be silly to tell them to keep their technology and training aids away from the practice area.

I was watching some of the driving range coverage while ago and something hit a nerve....... Trackman and other Golf Specific Tech.... While its normal to see these at ranges all across the various tours, it just seems out of place at Augusta. Since spectators aren't allowed to have cell phones, I wish they would step up and say keep your technology at home for the week boys.

It’s their trackman though. They have an official operator to assist players, but the only orange box on the tee is owned by ANGC. It makes it a little better IMO, and if it keeps the range a little more clutter free since players can get an idea of their numbers and then go try it on the course or around the short fake greens, everyone wins.

It's not an anti-technology ban, it's an anti-distraction ban. You won't hear all these trackman beeps going off during a round while you'll hear cameras clicking. The spectators are allowed cell phones during practice rounds because they aren't as big of a deal as a real, weekend round. The fact that they are allowed during practice rounds proves the point that it's not anti-technology, it's anti-distraction during the weekend.

I know spectators need to stay away from phones and I know these guys are trying to win the biggest tournament of their career but it just doesnt fit the eyes of a traditionalist.....

I know spectators need to stay away from phones and I know these guys are trying to win the biggest tournament of their career but it just doesnt fit the eyes of a traditionalist.....

The Masters is probably the most technologically advanced event in all of sports to be honest. Their streaming app is flawless. They recently posted every single final round for streaming on YouTube without compensation. Their media center is second to none. The fact that they maintain absolute control of their product is why the end results comes across in such spectacular fashion. I dont see any conflict with their cell phone policy and the other advanced aspects of the event. In fact I think every single tournament and the PGA Tour needs to start paying more attention to them.

I'm upset the golfers get to wear synthetic blend clothing for moisture management. This is Augusta National Golf Course! Wool blazers and knickers or GTFO!

Speaking of Masters and technology... Is the entire thing broadcast in 4k or only certain days or channels?

Sent from my BLA-A09 using Tapatalk

Speaking of Masters and technology... Is the entire thing broadcast in 4k or only certain days or channels?

Between April 5-8, 2018, DIRECTV's stunning 4K HDR broadcast of Amen Corner and Holes 15 and 16 will bring you closer than ever to the beauty and excitement of the Masters Tournament. 4K offers four times the resolution of 1080p HD video, while HDR (High Dynamic Range) provides greater contrast and depth of color. See Amen Corner, the most widely celebrated stretch of holes in golf (Hole Nos. 11, 12 and 13), and Holes 15 and 16 like you have never seen them before.
Masters Amen Corner will be live Thursday through Sunday approximately 10:00 AM – 6:00 PM EDT on DIRECTV 4K channel 105.
Holes 15 and 16 will be live Thursday and Friday approximately 11:45 AM – 6:45 PM EDT, and 12:45 PM – 6:30 PM EDT on Saturday and Sunday on DIRECTV 4K channel 106.

Thanks. Of course I only recorded regular broadcast last night. I'll get the 4k content tonight.

No problem here with players using the technology at their disposal to assist them in winning a major tournament. Patrons with cell phones is a completely different animal as the majority of the cell phone carrying world does not practice proper etiquette when in public with their electronic leashes.

Nope. I don’t see the Masters as some stuck in the past tourney. If players use tech in other tournaments, I don’t see why they shouldn’t use it at Augusta.

#FiberLaunch

Between April 5-8, 2018, DIRECTV's stunning 4K HDR broadcast of Amen Corner and Holes 15 and 16 will bring you closer than ever to the beauty and excitement of the Masters Tournament. 4K offers four times the resolution of 1080p HD video, while HDR (High Dynamic Range) provides greater contrast and depth of color. See Amen Corner, the most widely celebrated stretch of holes in golf (Hole Nos. 11, 12 and 13), and Holes 15 and 16 like you have never seen them before.
Masters Amen Corner will be live Thursday through Sunday approximately 10:00 AM – 6:00 PM EDT on DIRECTV 4K channel 105.
Holes 15 and 16 will be live Thursday and Friday approximately 11:45 AM – 6:45 PM EDT, and 12:45 PM – 6:30 PM EDT on Saturday and Sunday on DIRECTV 4K channel 106.

Reason enough for me to get a couple new 4k OLED TV's.

Yeah.... it's 2018. I have no problem with it. I mean where does the "traditionalist" argument stop?

What's the line in the Sand?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Augusta has fans under the greens to get the speed right. The Masters is in no way anti technology in my eyes.

They are anti asshole, and since most people can't show any restraint with their cell phones they simply get rid of the problem.

Agree...cheapens the game. There's an "organic" aspect to golf that tech is killing. My opinion, but Nicklaus and Palmer had a choice of X100 shafts...or...X100 shafts, blades, and wood...woods. Somehow they made it without technology.

Agree...cheapens the game. There's an "organic" aspect to golf that tech is killing. My opinion, but Nicklaus and Palmer had a choice of X100 shafts...or...X100 shafts, blades, and wood...woods. Somehow they made it without technology.

They didn’t have the option though. Notice Nicklaus, Player and Watson are playing titanium or composite drivers, forgiving players irons, and new balls. If they’d had trackman back then You can be sure they would have used it.

Technology changes everything, and golf has always been a game that used technology as soon as it was available. From rubber to graphine golf balls pick up new tech and use it, even before other industries sometimes.

As for the Masters, as a tournament it’s always been on the bleeding edge. If I’m not mistaken it was one of the first golf events televised. Their app is the single best sports streaming app I’ve ever used. As someone else mentioned, they’ve got fans under the greens so they can control how fast the greens are. So while ANGC is all about tradition and history, they are not anti-tech, they make good use of it.

To me this misses the point - it isn't a question of should technology be allowed and encouraged because of course it should. The question is how should it be implemented and when. Augusta has been nearly flawless with its rollout (although typically this mean being behind other tournaments) of public facing technology. For example, this year's addition of shot tracer will continue to take things to the next level but will do so only after the implementation is widely accepted and can be properly implemented.

The thing I love about the Masters is that the golf is first the beauty of the course shines through. Now that shot tracer is well accepted and does not distract the viewer, it has been selectively implemented. Thankfully the Masters hasn't fallen for some of the gimmicks that other tournaments have tried, like the US Open mic'ing the cups up so much it is deafening when they make a putt.

The Masters will continue to be the best tournament because everything is meticulously planned and done purposefully - something that I marvel at every year. Is it 8:30 yet?!

Back