Great Putting vs Great Ball Striking

mesaman777

Reaction score
Handicap
~
I know this topic has been touched upon in the past, but I am always intrigued by the responses and thoughts of players.

All things being equal in regards to score, would you rather have a day where you absolutely flush shots consistently, hit all of your lines, distance control is near perfect, but you find yourself missing many make-able birdie putts and settling for par with a few bogies mixed in. ( obviously pars and bogies are an example depending on player abilities )

Or

You are struggling to make contact all day but your draining putts from all over the place, not a 3 putt in sight, leaving yourself easy kick-in 2 putts.

For me, while I understand what a let down missing make-able putts all day is, and it can take a toll on you mentally, I would still rather hit beautiful flushed shots and tell myself I'm just having a bad putting day. I also understand the absolute adulation of making putts all day to save your round and telling yourself that you are a scrambling machine and you can build confidence from that.

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer to this question, just so many opinions.

If the score ends up being the same in either scenario, I would pick the putting. Just because that is the opposite of what usually happens for me now.

Putt for dough! Give me that option every day. I typically stand a better chance at lower scores when not hitting the ball well but short game is on point than when I am striking the ball well and not sinking putts I should make.

I'll take great ball-striking all day.

Much rather have a great ball striking day. If I'm spraying it all over the yard I'm likely not very happy, even if I'm making putts to save a score. Day turns into a grind.

I take making putts from everywhere.

I'm worse at putting and hang my hat on good ball striking, so give me ball striking and I will be happy about it. Less chipping/grinding makes for a more enjoyable round.

Such a tough question because either independently or both, of course, can lead to low scores.

I've hit my personal best four times (can't get over the hump!) and I've taken different roads to the same score.

Most though were highlighted by exceptional ball-striking and solid putting. But one was spotty ball striking and insanely great putting (for me. Four birdies, two long putts, numerous longish par saves).

If having to choose, I'd opt for ball-striking because at least it provides the tangible opportunity to go low.

Then again though, on Monday I hit 14/14 fairways and 14/18 greens but 3-putted FOUR TIMES to completely wreck my score (+6).

Golf, I wish we could choose but we can't. Ever.

If score is the same either way, ball striking... much more fun to hit the ball well than spray it all over the course and drain some lucky putts. Also, good ball striking days help my confidence for future rounds. When I'm making putts from everywhere I know in the back of my mind that I'm living on borrowed time...

I’d take a great putting day. It feels so sweet draining 10ft+ putts even semi-consistently. And I’m picturing some long ones if poor striking it getting me on the green far from the hole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m not particularly good at any area. That said, as long as I avoid penalties putting affects my score much more than decent ball striking. If we’re talking scoring better I’ll take the better putting round. If it’s enjoyment, I love those days when I am hitting the ball pure(ish)

putts all day! i can typically get around without hitting flush shots, but that feeling of draining putts from wherever you are on the green is second to none!

I'll take great ball striking. Putting, at that point, doesn't matter to me if it takes me 4-5 strokes to even reach the green. I'll take giving myself a chance at par or bogey over leaving those scores back at the tee box or fairway.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I'd take the putter. Nothing more deflating when you're playing a match than to watch someone make putt after putt. Doesn't happen often but it is fun when it does!!

I think I'd come out happier if I made the best of a bad situation rather than wasted opportunities, so I'd take the hot putter

Easy pars all day long. If I’m missing greens and two putting then I’m shooting a number.

if the score will be the same, i'd rather hit the ball well. scrambling and making putts is not as satisfying and ego-stroking as posing on flushed iron shots. we always talk about that one shot that, regardless of how badly you play, will keep you coming back. for me, that's not usually a made putt. but it is very often a flushed iron or wedge.

I’ll take ball striking

I've had good putting days before, but I've never experienced that great ball striking day you speak of. I would take that in a heart beat.

If a player is struggling with their irons they're not putting for anything anyway, saving double bogey? who cares? this one is easy.

Putting is the least of the golf skills to worry about, put the ball on the GIR every time and even the worst putter will have a great day.

If a player is struggling with their irons they're not putting for anything anyway, saving double bogey? who cares? this one is easy.

Putting is the least of the golf skills to worry about, put the ball on the GIR every time and even the worst putter will have a great day.

This is how I see it. While you need to putt well to break par/stay in the mid 70s, hitting gir is essential to even have a chance.

I’d take ball striking all day. 3 putting every hole you’re looking at 90 but if you’re having a clinic ball striking day, some of those putts will be kick ins. You’ll drain at least one putt from 10-15 feet and the rest can be a mixture of 2 and 3 putts. That should be low 80s if not for sure in the 70s.

Yes please!!! :)

Great ball striking for me.

Great ball striking. If you're flushing the drives, 3 wood 2nd shots to par 5's, 2nd shots to par 4's and tee shots to par 3's you should have plenty of birdie putts. All pars is great, make a few putts for under par is possible.

Back