Swamp donkey

Reaction score
Handicap
Hey guys. This is my first post here. I've been "golfing" for almost 20 years and have only taken one lesson. The last 15 of those years, I've been using a really cheap set of dunlops. (I think I paid around $100 new for the whole set. Driver, woods, irons, putter and bag. They have got me by but I'm looking to slightly upgrade. I've upgraded my woods, driver and putter over the years so I'm just looking at irons.
I'm going to take lessons this summer, so I don't want to spend a lot of $ being fitted and buying new irons until I do so. I know I could just stick with the dunlops but, well, I don't want to and I'm hoping having slightly better clubs will be a little bit of a confidence booster.
I have 2 cheap options right now and long story short, can't hit them before buying.

-vintage Taylormade bubble burner. $50
-tour edge ql bazooka $125

I'm hoping to pick these up by the weekend so which would be a better option?

Thanks!

Are those your only options? I think you could find some much better irons on ebay for around the price of the Bazookas.

Welcome to THP.

I'd wait and hold out to find something else. There are plenty of cheap options out there with better technology in the same price range that you have given. The Ping I3+ is available on Ebay for less than $100 and would be a good option. I had them for 10 years and loved them.

Thanks guys. I forgot to mention that I'm a lefty. It really limits the used market.

Thanks guys. I forgot to mention that I'm a lefty. It really limits the used market.

yes and no, look at bid auctions on ebay and you'll find some great deals, i found a set of cobra amp cells for like 150 bucks , and you can find some incredible deals on used Wilson staff clubs.

you can check callawaygolfpreowned.com in the clearance section. For the same cost of the Tour Edge you can find some very nice irons. Plus, they have a pretty good warranty program as well.
Good Luck!

I'm sure you could get something better on eBay. definitely with a look anyway.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Search ebay my friend.
These two sets are much better than what you're looking at, IMHO. Search for golf clubs and it will give you a dexterity option on the left. Checkmark left handed, select iron sets and you're on your way. As a lefty you'll get a better deal than righties get because they're tougher to sell. Good luck

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TaylorMade...947841?hash=item2cd197ce01:g:n7sAAOSwKBRau-Lw

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cleveland-588-MT-Forged-Irons-8-PW-Set-Regular-Traction-85-Steel-Left-Hand/132527532661?hash=item1edb41aa75:g:WigAAOSwDApadedM

Have you looked into a used set on ebay or a location like 2nd swing . com and preowned callaway web sites?

I know many people that buy the used clubs to start with before investing in a fitting and new clubs.

If you're really in a pinch I have a set of Big Bertha Fusion irons (not the FT version). The only catch is that you have to get the 7 iron re shafted. It snapped at the head on me at the driving range. Not sure what that would cost you. If you can't find anything better than what you're currently looking at in your price range, I'll hook you up. They're certainly better than what you're looking at.

I know I've hijacked this thread, at this point, but one more thing. Be patient. I know you want to get upgraded and you'd like to do it relatively quickly but don't rush into a much inferior set just to have it by this weekend when you could find an amazing deal if you give yourself a week to 10 days. You've played with those irons for this long. Another few days is a cakewalk. Good luck, brother.

Find an old set of Callaway Big Berthas. I have a set from 2004 that are fun to tinker with and will more than serve you well.

Wow, thanks for the replies everyone!
I was really sold on the bubble burners because it's a full set 3-lw for $50. I know for their time, they were really good clubs. For someone with my skill level, I wasn't sure the new technology would help that much. You guys have me thinking of going another route now.
The guy selling the pro tours just told me he would drop the price to $100. I don't know much about these clubs though.
I guess I was searching ebay wrong because before I wasn't seeing many options. I followed the instructions someone posted found a lot of lefty sets.
Thanks again everyone!

Wow, thanks for the replies everyone!
I was really sold on the bubble burners because it's a full set 3-lw for $50. I know for their time, they were really good clubs. For someone with my skill level, I wasn't sure the new technology would help that much. You guys have me thinking of going another route now.
The guy selling the pro tours just told me he would drop the price to $100. I don't know much about these clubs though.
I guess I was searching ebay wrong because before I wasn't seeing many options. I followed the instructions someone posted found a lot of lefty sets.
Thanks again everyone!

Good luck brother. You'll find a better set on ebay guaranteed.

Would Callaway x16s be a better choice? Is the technology still relevant or should I keep looking?

There is a set of Wilson D2000's in the for sale section on this forum. The are price at 180 shipped, I would go with those. I myself would scoop them up if my wife would let me spend the money.

Would Callaway x16s be a better choice? Is the technology still relevant or should I keep looking?

The X-16s were great clubs. I'd keep looking though and see if there's something a little more current that fits your budget. If you went with the X-16s, though, they are a big upgrade from what you're currently playing.

If the set that you're looking at is on ebay and comes with the Cleveland wedges, too, that's a damned good price. That would be worth jumping on, to be honest, my friend.

I guess I'm going with the x16s. Just got 4-pw plus 2 Cleveland cg 15 wedges for $90 shipped. I think learning how to search clubs on ebay has created a monster. Time to find a new 3 and 5 wood, putter and maybe a new bag...
Thanks for the help!

Back