Mizuno MP-5 - THP Review Thread

Oh I enjoyed the feel as well, on pure shots. I just don't do that enough hahahaha

I keep telling myself I don't have the game too. But I always go back to them. Glutton for punishment I guess.

I keep telling myself I don't have the game too. But I always go back to them. Glutton for punishment I guess.

You were hitting them well today. They can easily be your gamers.

That's malarky dude, you have plenty of skill to game them and I'd bet you'd become far more consistent with them. You're a good golfer buddy, never lose sight of your capabilities my friend.

That's malarky dude, you have plenty of skill to game them and I'd bet you'd become far more consistent with them. You're a good golfer buddy, never lose sight of your capabilities my friend.

I try telling him the same thing ALL the time. It's not his ball striking that is holding him back from where he wants to be!

Yeah but like Jman said, when I'm not is what worries me.

other than two really bad swings today I saw no issues with you gaming them. Lots of solid contact and I would bet many were on the center. I think your miss with them will be less punishable than you think because you are barely missing the center when you do. Sometimes you leave the face open and hit the push or stop mcoimg the hips and end up turning it over to much which both of those were very limited today

I try telling him the same thing ALL the time. It's not his ball striking that is holding him back from where he wants to be!

Makes two of us. I have spent enough time on the course and at the range with this guy. When he trusts himself the sky is the limit.

I have played with you enough to know you are mistaken here. Your game can handle what ever club you choose to hit. You, my friend, have skills!

I just spent a while with the 6 iron at the range. swapping shafts to get a sense of which felt best. I absolutely love the feel of these. For a blade they seem very easy to hit. For me these are at the top of the ponder list. Such a beuatiful
iron.
Emart was telling me today how well you were hitting these yesterday.

Stop kidding yourself, you have every bit the game for these, and yes even your occasional miss.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the enablers, but this thread is about the Irons. I'm sure Canadan has more relevant thought than wether I could/should game these.

I have been finalizing my thoughts on the mizuno MP-5 irons, and have some pretty obvious takeaways and some other thoughts.

First, you get what you expect. This is an muscleback iron, and that comes with the territory of being punishing on mis-hits. But, that such a small part of the story. I have documented with the 6 iron a gap of ~5mph of ball speed between my great strikes and my less than average strikes. That is assuming we throw away anything that hangs out on the hosel or extreme toe and consider mostly the shots that are thinned (to win). This translates, for me, to a distance range of about 16 yards on the extremes, and more like 7-8 yards on a more common basis. As there is nothing about these irons that really drive distance, I find myself clubbing up for insurance that I'll make my number, with some shots traveling a bit long thanks to great swings. No matter.

What I find so enjoyable about irons like this, is the consistent nature of the results. If you hit it thin, you're going to hit it lower and a bit shorter. If you hit it fat, you're not going to like the results. If you hit it towards the toe, you're going to still see similar success with a bit of a tail. Really, there's nothing surprising about the results I have seen --- And for many who are in the market for an iron of this profile, I think that's a very good thing.

As you'd expect, it is very easy to flight the ball with the MP-5 iron, both up/down and left/right. While my left to right shape could probably use some work, I never really feel like I can't hit a shot based on the design of the head.

The weighted shaft combination with the head makes swinging very smooth. I'm probably losing a couple MPH in comparison to lighter offerings with 100-110 gram shafts, but I've really enjoyed the stability that comes alongside a smoother, flowing swing. For the more powerful guys out there, this could represent even better control.

To the feedback I receive, it's obvious. I still offer a 'nope' if I miss my shot a bit with solid results, but that's more a swing path thing than the response off the face (hard to hit a draw at the pin when you tug it a bit). I think that feedback is ever present especially when I am in my garage in 50 degree weather trying to recreate a thinned shot for numbers (still hurts, by the way). I can't say specifically whether their new found cut-muscle design is a wild improvement over a straight blade, however I do think they took the design to the next level and really made it flow well with the shape of the iron head.

With all that in mind, the sound, to me, is near perfection. I can't say whether it relates to Mizuno's grain flow forged steel, or whether it's simply how their metals are selected, but it is truly the ideal sound when struck on the button. A sound that makes me crave more, and more, and more -- Especially when perfection is about millimeters from 'decent' on every swing.... And maybe that's why some crave this profile.

Based on everything I've experienced, I would say that my biggest 'issue' with the design is a lack of a softer leading edge, however it really hasn't been much of an issue during my testing. I've had some GREAT iron shots with the MP-5's, and it's been enough to let me really consider gaming these in the future. If nothing else, they have refreshed some confidence I'd been missing. I would be confident in recommending these irons to the lower handicaps of the golfing world. Anyone willing to enjoy predictability without manufactured forgiveness or flighting would probably enjoy them.

Solid write up my man! I absolutely adore these irons.

Yeah, but so did my ex wife for a minute....and well yeah

Hahahahahahahaha. Well played.

Excellent work Dan, these irons are my golf equivalent to Amy McDonald. So beautiful, but so out of my league.

Mark Crossfield bags these now. I know people love or hate him, but frankly his advice and views on golf are spot on and he's quite good.

Going in for a fitting on Monday. Wish me luck. The last beauty I fell for didn't bother to leave note where my wallet should have been.

But seriously. After testing the 6 iron mp5 versus the XR Pro I was not only impressed by the feel, but also the level of forgiveness.

The distance was only a few yards shorter but the dispersion was tighter both front to back and laterally.

Also while the occasional mishit was very clearly felt with the Mp 5 I could not say the same about the XR Pro.

The sound reminded me of a tuning fork on well struck shots, bring to mind the harmonics which Mizuno engineers into their clubs.

I was also impressed by the lack of any fliers during my testing, which is an issue I have encountered with cavity back irons.

If I have to say anything bad, I can only state that they are so aesthetically beautiful that I could almost see myself just hanging them in a picture frame on the wall of my man cave. I would almost hesitate to put them in play for fear of placing a scratch on these lovely ladies.

Wish me luck. My wallet's already hiding hoping that the Mp 5 irons don't break my heart.

Again

Thanks Mizuno

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Forgive me Father for I have sinned. Last night I had impure thoughts about a MP-5

Beautiful irons but Id expect nothing less from Mizuno.

Sounds to me like you're hooked.
I'm trying real hard to resist. But I think it's looking like a lost cause

Damn you Mizuno. Why you have to be so good!

I could never resist bright and shiny clubs and these just might be the brightest I have ever seen ....

A serious question. How do THP'ers keep these beautiful jewels pristine.

Would almost hate to put them in play and knick the Chrome.

You don't, you play them and let them show some signs of great golf!

My review set is already showing signs of chatter, but that's never REALLY bothered me. My biggest thing is making sure the range balls I hit are clean, and the face is clean when I hit them. Keeps the face in great shape for a long time doing that.

Thanks Canadan and T2GRN18

Back