Famous People you've met?

cpljohnst

Go Jackets! Go Sun Devils
Reaction score
Handicap
16.0 GHIN
Saw this topic on a college football board I frequent and thought it would be fun here. Maybe we should do two categories: Famous non-golfers and then those famous in the golf world. Should be some good answers here!

I'll get things started. Frankly I've only met a couple in each category.

Famous non-golfers: Louis Gosset Jr. (actor). Hank Aaron. Both were extremely nice and down to earth. Very gracious with their time. Met both when I was employed at Six Flags Over Georgia in the early 90's. Both were visiting the park and were visiting as VIP's with a guide. Both took time to meet with employees back of house. Something neither had to do.

Famous in the Golf World: Arnold Palmer. Met Arnie when I was about 10 years old. Can remember every detail about it. Was so nice to me. Hope to meet him again one and tell him how much I remember that encounter.

Edited to add: Butch Harmon. Forgot about meeting him. We were on the same flight to Vegas right after the US Open at Pinehurst, he was connecting through Atlanta, while I was direct from here. I saw him as I passed through First Class on my way to coach. I introduce myself at baggage claim, and told him I'd be playing Rio Secco later in the week. We talked about the Open while we waited on our bags. Also a little about Rio Secco as a course. Was very nice guy.

That's about it. Lets hear yours. I'm sure there are some great stories out there.

Last edited:
I met Robin Williams on a USO tour of Landstuhl hospital. I happened to be pretty whacked out of my gourd on IV morphine at the time, which I think might be the best way to hang out with Robin Williams for 15 minutes. My details of the event are kinda fuzzy, but I remember us (mostly him) trying to come up with a better story for my multiple ankle fractures than the real story (I slipped on ice in a parking lot). I also remembering laughing my ass off.

I've also met Lance Armstrong and some other celebrities courtesy of the USO. Somewhere I have numerous pictures of me with members of the WWE from 2003, including a rather comical one of me next to the Big Show.

Remember that scene from Tin Cup where David Simms (Don Johnson character) was completely charming and nice in front of a camera then a total d*ck five seconds later to a kid when he thinks nobody is watching? That was Don Sutton and Bill Russell (Dodgers SS and later manager) to me when I was a kid.

Also, Charles Barkley (great guy, very nice), Manute Bol (such a jerk it made me wish the lion would have won just once) and Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg.

Last edited:
I ran into Steven Schrippa (Bobby Bacala from the Sopranos) at a bar in Montreal. We spoke for about 20 minutes and he was very personable and down to earth. Just a super nice guy and he has a smoking hot wife who gladly snapped this pic:

530e695df359a9a1ace05dfe4849fd4d.jpg

Roger effing Cleveland may be tops on my list, although the pga show offered a lot of worthy candidates. I've met a bunch of nhl players as well.

But nothing competes with the biggest name on the list. Mike Dean.

Famous People you've met?

Roger Cleveland, Harry Arnett, chad Coleman
And:
I had lunch with the queen of England while o was in the Navy.

Non golfers: Linda Carter (Wonder Woman), Clint Eastwood, Carlos Hathcock.

Golfers: Mr. Palmer, Lee Trevino, Cary Middlecoff

Several others, but it all depends on the definition of "famous" :alien:

<Edit> Oh crap! Johnny Bench! How the hell can I forget Johnny Bench. Played golf (two holes) with him in Phoenix at a corporate outing.

This will be a fun follow....

JM

Never met any famous golfers.

Famous Musicians: Steve Vai, Robben Ford, Roscoe Beck

Famous actors/actresses: John Lithgow, Rob Schneider and Oprah Winfry

Sports guys: Mike Bossy, Guy Lafleur, Doug Flutie, Bernard Hopkins, Tara Lapinsky, Lee Haney, Weider Brothers

Hall of Fame Baseball Player Jim Rice, Golfer Harris English and Lead Singer / Drummer Fred LeBlanc of Cowboy Mouth. Met Rice when I was young as my grandmother knew his family. English did a clinic at my home course a few years ago and I spoke to him for about 10 minutes. Met and talked to LeBlanc 3 or 4 times after shows I went to.

Probably a few others along the way but those are the only ones I can think of right now.

I too have had the pleasure of hanging with Hank Aaron on the anniversary of his historic homerun. He was very quiet at first but we all started chatting. Then played golf the next day.

Matt Dillion came by the Biltmore for lessons while I was there. This during filming 'what about Mary'

Alonzo Morning and I have stayed friendly since my days of teaching him golf.

Ran into Joe Torre in Vegas over the weekend. Nice guy but in a hurry. Sat next to Bobby Bowden in Atlanta Airport.

Taught with TW in '97 at his first youth clinic. Have also interacted with him on numerous occasions. Played golf with Pat Sheehan and Rich Beem, still remain friendly with both. Caddie for and played with Palmer. Tom Lehman and I won the father/son proam.

Non golf: James Taylor, Lionel Ritchie, Tom Brady, Jennifer Nettles, Patrick Pass (Patriots player), Manute Bol and Paul Allen.
Golf: Billy Andrade

I have a pretty healthy list,as per my workplace. Includes Will Smith,Jessica Alba,Bill Gates,Steve Nash,Michael Buble. Samuel L Jackson,Jessy Ventura many many CFL players as per our gray cup celebrations. Roberto Alomar,Ken Griffey Jr, Marcus Stoman, Marco Estrada ,Jose Reyes and Jose Bautista and David Ortiz. From baseball games and my ex wife family knowing some of these baseball players

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

I ran into Steven Schrippa (Bobby Bacala from the Sopranos) at a bar in Montreal. We spoke for about 20 minutes and he was very personable and down to earth. Just a super nice guy and he has a smoking hot wife who gladly snapped this pic:

530e695df359a9a1ace05dfe4849fd4d.jpg
Should have got a picture with the wife...

Roger effing Cleveland may be tops on my list, although the pga show offered a lot of worthy candidates. I've met a bunch of nhl players as well.

But nothing competes with the biggest name on the list. Mike Dean.
No autographs please

I taught LeBron everything he knows...about Physics. Other than that I got nothing.

Should have got a picture with the wife...
So…uh…after a quick Google search, that wasn't his wife in the bar in Montreal. Go figure.

Jordan Spieth
Jason Garrett
Matt Holliday
Adam Wainwright
Miguel Cabrera

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Condi Rice(4 times including attending a dinner party she hosted this year), Angela Ahrendts, Kent Hrbek(caddied for him), Tom Lehman.

Freddie Kong...

After him it would Kurt Bestor, Karl Malone, John Stockton, Steve Young, Bronco Mendenhall, Kyle Whittingham, The Godfather (WWF wrestler), Thurl Bailey (frequented my restaurant and knew each other by name), Gordon B. Hinckley, Bryan Russell...I think that's it

Non golf: Lebron, Ken Griffey Jr. Chuck Liddell, and that's all I got.

Golf- nobody.

Famous Non-Golfers: Tim McGraw, Bob Seger, Russ Ortiz, Kirk Maltby, Darren McCarty, and Taylor Swift

Golfers: Sergio Garcia & Jack Nicklaus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Golf: chad Campbell (really nice guy) Guy Boros (played a practice round with him, best guy you will ever meet)
Non golf.
Johnny Bench, Lou Brock, Stan Musial, Jim Edmunds.
Sooners: Barry Switzer, Ryan Bosworth, and Billy Sims

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Golfing wise was Lou Rodriquez ... One of the best am golfers in the 80's-90's. Kinda idolized my swing and game around him

a true legend

actor : Harrison Ford

rockers: REM group at a Georgia golf course . All I remember was one guy had a uni brow

everyday joes : me

baseball: John Smoltz.. Asked him to hit me with a fastball

John F Kennedy, I was 12 at my uncle's graduation at Harvard. JFK was running for President that summer so he was campaigning, he was happy to meet each member of our family who were there for the graduation.

Met a lot of rugby league professionals, they run a lot of coaching courses for kids in the winters, and as a season ticket holder I get to go in the players bar after games. Too many to list and probably won't be known to you guys but some of the bigger names are Kevin Sinfield, Ellery Hanley, Danny McGuire, Jamie Peacock, John Holmes, Mike Stephenson, Sean O'Loughlin, Michael McIllorum, Danny Buderus, Bradley Clyde, and Iestyn Harris.

Non rugby, Ricky Hatton, Damon Hill, Jackie Stewart, Tony Iommi, Slash, and Wayne Gretzky although I had no idea he was famous!

Back