hedley_lamarr08

Happy to be here.
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I've lurked for a while and have had a lot of interest in new irons. I've played the CF16 for a while but had no stopping power with them at all. Not sure if its just bad fit or what, but its time to move on. I sold them and the two wedges listed in my set for $500. I'll be buying wedges with the irons.

Ball striking when playing is solid, as my handicap is limited mostly to putting and fairways missed (getting a G400Max as well). I've limited it to Titleist AP2/AP3, Cobra Forged Tec Black, Ping (G400, i200, iBlade) Wilson FG Tour V6, and the Mizuno MMC/SC/Fli Hi, Taylormade p770/790. I will only be going down to a 5 iron because I still enjoy the Apex Hybrids. (obviously with game improvement sets with wide soles I'd be likely to get the 4 iron and move on)

I prefer my wedges to kid of match up with my set.

Hard recommendations? Help me spend my money. With the $500, I'm willing to add about $600 to it. Don't just give me an iron, tell my the one reason I really should be looking at them. Thanks in advance.

P790.... just look at the thread for them.... stupid long and stupid forgiving, I suffer from OTT and these things still didn’t go anywhere but straight for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cobra Forged Tec Black because they are absolutely beautiful. Wilson FG Tour V6 for a great performance iron with great value. Those are my 2 recommendations given the Apex CF 16 didn't give you enough stopping power as they are among the highest launch/spin KBS shafts.

Cobra Forged Tec Black because they are absolutely beautiful. Wilson FG Tour V6 for a great performance iron with great value. Those are my 2 recommendations given the Apex CF 16 didn't give you enough stopping power as they are among the highest launch/spin KBS shafts.

And with the forged tec black Cobra irons you can get the matching black wedges since you wanted matching wedges.

You've got the whole mix right there that's for sure. I see game improvement irons (G400), this new category they are labeling players distance irons (i200, 790, AP3, Forged Tec Black, and not listed Wilson C300 forged), and players irons (Mizuno MP 18 MMC/SC, 770, iBlades, and V6).

You're coming from CF16 so I would stay in the players distance category. I'm buying new irons with graphite soon myself and will be heading to that category from my Wilson V4's which are like the V6. I plan on hitting the i200 this weekend at a Ping Demo Day, the C300 forged when they ever show up LH, and maybe the Cobras too if i can find a LH set to try.

You've got the whole mix right there that's for sure. I see game improvement irons (G400), this new category they are labeling players distance irons (i200, 790, AP3, Forged Tec Black, and not listed Wilson C300 forged), and players irons (Mizuno MP 18 MMC/SC, 770, iBlades, and V6).

You're coming from CF16 so I would stay in the players distance category. I'm buying new irons with graphite soon myself and will be heading to that category from my Wilson V4's which are like the V6. I plan on hitting the i200 this weekend at a Ping Demo Day, the C300 forged when they ever show up LH, and maybe the Cobras too if i can find a LH set to try.

One thing I'm not overly worried about is distance as long as the gaps are good. My 7i is typically 170 so I can roll back a little and not hurt much.

I just went thru this, I got fitted, I had my heart set on the MMH's and they felt great! I just wasn't as consistent as I wanted to be. I was much more consistent with the JPX 900 forged.

I tried the AP2's and AP3's, for some reason I hit the AP2's better.

I sprayed the Calloway's all over (the CF16's)

I hit the Srixon (the comparable club, I forget) and I couldn't stand that at all!!

Ultimately I went with the JPX 900 forged, I had to swallow a little pride because I couldn't hit the other clubs like I thought I would be able to. (maybe in a year or two)

So far in my limited experience with my Cobra Forged TEC Blacks I am in love with them. They launch easy and high for me so they drop nice and soft for approach. I find them to be easy to hit and they just feel amazing paired with my UST Recoil 780 SmacWraps. I am not a long hitter and they are pretty close to exact with my old clubs as far as distance goes. I would recommend giving them a try if you can find some to hit.

you mention stopping power being an issue. you can achieve that in one of two ways: launch, or spin.

personally, i prefer spin. so i would throw out the forged tec black, the taylormade irons, and the ap3. the wilsons would be good, but from what i understand they're not the most forgiving. i would say ping i200 or titleist ap2, with a big nod to the ap2. i think the 718 ap2 is a show-stopper.

if you prefer launch, i would say the taylormade, forged tec black or i200 would be good.

Sold my irons and wedges today: Got $525 for them so I have some extra to play with. Was looking to spend a grand or less. I've never dealt with Mizuno or Wilson staff, had Cobras that were okay, but the Ping and Titleist clubs seem to stand out. I'll update after I get fit tomorrow.

Done my fitting. Before I wasnt sure about the results nor did I have a great preference. I hit everything mentioed about except the Cobras that were not available. The AP2 and AP3 were really nice as were the G400 and the i200. I didnt care for the MP18 for my game but they are by far the best looking irons in golf. The last one hit, the AP1. It was not hard or clicky. It felt like it was in between the G400 and I200. The decision was between AP3 and AP1 when the dust settled. I chose the easiest route and went AP1 with AMT red (stock shaft) and a GP2 wrap grip. To add at the end of the bag I went ahead and added a Vokey SM7 52 and 58. Just need a driver now.

great choice! something about the 718 ap1 makes it seem like it's no longer the after thought in the lineup. it feels to me like titleist really gave the 718 ap1 its due attention, and what came out is really impressive. can't wait to follow along for your thoughts!

I've lurked for a while and have had a lot of interest in new irons. I've played the CF16 for a while but had no stopping power with them at all. Not sure if its just bad fit or what, but its time to move on. I sold them and the two wedges listed in my set for $500. I'll be buying wedges with the irons.

Ball striking when playing is solid, as my handicap is limited mostly to putting and fairways missed (getting a G400Max as well). I've limited it to Titleist AP2/AP3, Cobra Forged Tec Black, Ping (G400, i200, iBlade) Wilson FG Tour V6, and the Mizuno MMC/SC/Fli Hi, Taylormade p770/790. I will only be going down to a 5 iron because I still enjoy the Apex Hybrids. (obviously with game improvement sets with wide soles I'd be likely to get the 4 iron and move on)

I prefer my wedges to kid of match up with my set.

Hard recommendations? Help me spend my money. With the $500, I'm willing to add about $600 to it. Don't just give me an iron, tell my the one reason I really should be looking at them. Thanks in advance.

As for the CF16's...what irons have you played that did have stopping power?

you mention stopping power being an issue. you can achieve that in one of two ways: launch, or spin.

personally, i prefer spin. so i would throw out the forged tec black, the taylormade irons, and the ap3. the wilsons would be good, but from what i understand they're not the most forgiving. i would say ping i200 or titleist ap2, with a big nod to the ap2. i think the 718 ap2 is a show-stopper.

if you prefer launch, i would say the taylormade, forged tec black or i200 would be good.

This breaks it down the way I think about it. If you want more spin consider including Hogan PTx in the mix.

This breaks it down the way I think about it. If you want more spin consider including Hogan PTx in the mix.

A solid recommendation. The PTx launch and spin very well without giving up as much forgiveness as other irons of a similar launch profile.

Get a comprehensive fitting. If you never get fit again for any of your clubs, get fit for these. Here's why.
1) These are your scoring clubs. You've already said yourself that distance isn't what's most important with these clubs. These clubs are all about minimum dispersion, gapping and hitting that spot shot after shot.
2) The sweet spot is NOT the same on all clubheads. Some heads have the sweet spot more toward the heel or toe, or a little higher or lower. Some might think, well I'll just adjust. But in reality that doesn't happen. Our tendencies are our tendencies.
3) The shaft has a huge impact on dispersion and reacts to YOUR swing dynamics. The head is only part of the equation. The best head for you can be ruined if you don't have the best shaft for your swing married to it.
4) Lie, loft swing weight all impact your dispersion. Same is true with the grip.

Get these right and you can get the ball closer to the hole with regularity. Get these wrong and all you've gotten is some new shiny things.

I do like “shiny new sticks.” I hit them well with no complaints. They were cheaper than the AP3 and arent forged (I hate bag clatter). Part of me has that anxious twitch because ive paid for yhem and dont have them. I always get buyers remorse even on car purchases. These should serve me well. If i cant play golf with a club this forgiving then i probably should quit. I dont have the ability to play blades so it seemed like the smart move to just swallow the pride, save some money (AP3) and buy something i know will be quality and last as long as i choose to play them. If I hit it 20 yards left/right, there are no clubs to cure that. These are the lesser of evils between that i feel are between the G400 and the i200/Ap3. The new Vokeys are key as well. I imagine the 52 will be worn out in a year or so.

I do like “shiny new sticks.” I hit them well with no complaints. They were cheaper than the AP3 and arent forged (I hate bag clatter). Part of me has that anxious twitch because ive paid for yhem and dont have them. I always get buyers remorse even on car purchases. These should serve me well. If i cant play golf with a club this forgiving then i probably should quit. I dont have the ability to play blades so it seemed like the smart move to just swallow the pride, save some money (AP3) and buy something i know will be quality and last as long as i choose to play them. If I hit it 20 yards left/right, there are no clubs to cure that. These are the lesser of evils between that i feel are between the G400 and the i200/Ap3. The new Vokeys are key as well. I imagine the 52 will be worn out in a year or so.

What did you go with?

AP1, AMT Red shaft. GP2 wrap midsized grips. 5-GW. Vokey SM7 52 and 58 ( I only use the 58 or 60 whe desperate). I do wonder gf I could call and have it change to a 56 so I could buy a 60 later if desired?

What is the PW & GW lofts on your AP1 irons? I like to maintain 4 degree gaps, mine are 44* PW, 48* GW, 52* & 56* wedges.

The GW is 48 that’s why I went with 52. I’m considering running by to see if they can change to 56 instead of 58. It may seem like a redundant move from the Apex but they will be slightly larger and more forgiving. I won’t turn down forgiveness. I need all the help I can get.

Back