What Do You or Other's Guys Say / Do to Get Into Someone's Head?

GolfLivesMatter

Reaction score
Handicap
Now this question is meant for those who "suspect" or "know" your buddies say and do subliminal things to mess you up. For example, every time I get to a par 3 with water in front, one of my buddies says while I'm teeing the ball....."Yep....I'm using my water ball". Other times a buddy will say on a trapped hole, "I'm just hoping I clear that trap". Maybe I play with buttheads? LOL!

honestly, that's a part of the game that just doesn't resonate with me. i've known and played with plenty of people who have that side to them, and i find it pretty off-putting. you want to talk some smack because it's fun to make fun of your friends, no problem. but intentionally trying to influence someone to play to a level below their potential is not in what i consider to be the true spirit of the game. if i beat you, i want to beat you at your best.

Nothing. It's never been my style.

Now this question is meant for those who "suspect" or "know" your buddies say and do subliminal things to mess you up. For example, every time I get to a par 3 with water in front, one of my buddies says while I'm teeing the ball....."Yep....I'm using my water ball". Other times a buddy will say on a trapped hole, "I'm just hoping I clear that trap". Maybe I play with buttheads? LOL!

In high school, this kid from a different was school was known as "that guy". He really wasn't very good so he tried to get into everyone's head so they'd mess up and make him look good. I would absolutely pipe one down the middle and he's say something like "hit that a bit off the toe huh" or the ol' "are you trying to do X in your swing or is it just natural". It got to the point where I would do the exact same thing to him but not directly. If there was water left off the tee, I'd be talking to myself and saying "alright there's water left. Don't even look at it. Don't even think about coming over the top or pullling it left." I'd play a safe shot up the right and he'd go up and keep glancing left at the water and look nervous. He stopped trying to mess with me after that.

If you play with some serious "buttheads" as you say then you gotta fight fire with fire. A sure fire way to absolutely screw them up is make random observations about their grip, takeaway or transition - they don't have to be true. It's amazing how dropping a casual "Wow John, your swing has gotten way flatter since we last played!" will send his scores into the stratosphere.
Warning: this is not a good way to make friends.

Actions speak louder than words. Sticking it close on the par 3 over water will do much more than coming back at them with a crappy attempt at gamesmanship. Luckily, I choose to play with people who want to see you do well, even if there is a little bet in place.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

What Do You or Other's Guys Say / Do to Get Into Someone's Head?

My best friend in Florida would bust my chops every round we played off the drive. We played pretty evenly and there was some beer drinking going on most times. Once I said “5 bucks you hit it in the lake on this drive” and sure enough he did so that is our go to comment every time. He’s good for a water Ball about 50% of the time. I don’t get to play with him much now since I am in TX but that won’t ever get old for us. He’s the only person I would ever do that with though so you won’t hear talking out of me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't intentionally try to get in anyone's head. I want to see people play well.

If you play with some serious "buttheads" as you say then you gotta fight fire with fire. A sure fire way to absolutely screw them up is make random observations about their grip, takeaway or transition - they don't have to be true. It's amazing how dropping a casual "Wow John, your swing has gotten way flatter since we last played!" will send his scores into the stratosphere.
Warning: this is not a good way to make friends.

Yeah, I've heard that too. How about "how hard do you grip your club?". lol.

When I play with my local friends or THPers, we're often encouraging each other and having fun.

Maybe I'm playing with the wrong guys or something if we're supposed to be getting in each other's heads???

I'm usually too worried about my poor play to have time to think about getting in other people's heads

I like to play against people when they are at their best. I don’t play the gamesmanship game. I just like good golf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't like trying to make people struggle, I enjoy everyone I play with to be playing well.

It depends on the game.
With my dad, it better be Augusta-like etiquette.
With my son (who’s learning golf), it’s encouraging and fun.
With my HS buddies, it’s a riot, listening to music, maybe a beverage, and sprinkles of comments in jest.

The group of women that I play with are very supportive. We cheer each others good shots and offer encouragement after bad ones. We're really not competitive at all. Love playing that way.

Is humming Salt & Pepa's "PUSH IT" while a guy putting for a skin considered bad?? (asking for a friend)

honestly, that's a part of the game that just doesn't resonate with me. i've known and played with plenty of people who have that side to them, and i find it pretty off-putting. you want to talk some smack because it's fun to make fun of your friends, no problem. but intentionally trying to influence someone to play to a level below their potential is not in what i consider to be the true spirit of the game. if i beat you, i want to beat you at your best.

I couldn't have said it better.

I really don't do any of the "head" stuff. We have guys around here that it's their MO but I try and not pay attention to them but I'm able to dish out some smack also.

my longest-term foursome we play a 2-man better ball for massive stakes like an ice cream cone. when someone is playing poorly we are nothing but encouraging but there are some good natured ribs. Like the guy 5 yards in front of a fairly level fairway bunker someone left a rake on the backside. "You want me to move that rake?" may have popped out. And we all laughed, he proceeded to blister a wormburner that sure enough cracked into the rake and stopped dead. He proceeds to say to his partner, "Want me to move that?" Confidently his partner says no...and hits the same rake.

In our group, that led to laughs and a desire to play that course again just so we could tell the story again. It is not really getting in each others heads so much as friends cracking wise.

Would I do that with a stranger or in competition? Nope. But with friends where that is intrinsic to the nature of our friendship? All day, all night.

Just like when I pull my driver they routinely say things like, "Remember to really come out of your shoes on this one" and "I am ready to yell fore if it heads towards that group" when the group they are talking about is 2 fairways to the right (I used to slice horrifically, though these days my miss is a pull-hook, but they remember the first 15 years they played with me). I personally find it funny, entertaining, and miss it when it is not there because I know it means I am playing so poorly they are back there whispering to each other "I hope he hits a good shot here, he needs it" just like I do for them when they are off.

Golf should be enjoyed and for those who play it straight...well done. For those who engage in good natured shots at each other...well done. As long as everyone is on the same page.

I don't do that. I hope everyone in my group plays well.

I don't do that because when I was MUCH younger a good friend and I were out for a casual round. We were pretty even through about fourteen holes. We were giving each other good-natured verbal jabs all day. At the fifteenth tee, I asked him, "Do you inhale or exhale on your backswing?" He was pretty much ruined off the tee for the rest of the round - he'd either freeze in his backswing, collapse in laughter, or shank one. He thought it was funny, but I felt so bad about it I decided I wouldn't do that kind of head game again. I'll joke about the results, but I don 't try to rattle someone about his/her swing.

I have never played with anyone like that. And if I did it would be the first and last time.

Our group can get pretty nasty with comments, but it's all for a good laugh. Have to be able to judge when someone is having an off day or something.

Most of what we say can't be repeated on here. The stuff that can be said is mostly regarding past events, such as "remember that time you 3-jacked while 1 up with one to play" stuff along those lines.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Is humming Salt & Pepa's "PUSH IT" while a guy putting for a skin considered bad?? (asking for a friend)

Not at all..."your friend' should consider saying as his bluetooth speaker is playing...."Hey, these FOUR TOP's songs are GREAT" just before teeing off.

"I've seen you make it from closer"

my longest-term foursome we play a 2-man better ball for massive stakes like an ice cream cone. when someone is playing poorly we are nothing but encouraging but there are some good natured ribs. Like the guy 5 yards in front of a fairly level fairway bunker someone left a rake on the backside. "You want me to move that rake?" may have popped out. And we all laughed, he proceeded to blister a wormburner that sure enough cracked into the rake and stopped dead. He proceeds to say to his partner, "Want me to move that?" Confidently his partner says no...and hits the same rake.

In our group, that led to laughs and a desire to play that course again just so we could tell the story again. It is not really getting in each others heads so much as friends cracking wise.

Would I do that with a stranger or in competition? Nope. But with friends where that is intrinsic to the nature of our friendship? All day, all night.

Just like when I pull my driver they routinely say things like, "Remember to really come out of your shoes on this one" and "I am ready to yell fore if it heads towards that group" when the group they are talking about is 2 fairways to the right (I used to slice horrifically, though these days my miss is a pull-hook, but they remember the first 15 years they played with me). I personally find it funny, entertaining, and miss it when it is not there because I know it means I am playing so poorly they are back there whispering to each other "I hope he hits a good shot here, he needs it" just like I do for them when they are off.

Golf should be enjoyed and for those who play it straight...well done. For those who engage in good natured shots at each other...well done. As long as everyone is on the same page.

Well stated...and your story is quite funny. It's ALL ABOUT good nature fun. Not talking about ahole stuff. Just played the other day with co-workers and one said, "do you think you've fixed your left to right?". I KNOW he was bugging me....but I laughed. I got him back later. Just ask anyone about their alignment.

Back