Golf life in Pacific Northwest, specifically the rain and cold

So we’ve been here for almost three weeks now. The first week the weather was awesome, mostly clear, some clouds and little to no rain. I get that’s not the norm, but this last week has been a complete s*show. A couple of decent days but three or four storms that brought wind gusts of 50+ (70+ last night and this morning), to the point where you can’t really go outside for many hours or near an entire day even. This can’t be the norm right? Both neighbors have portions of their fence down, which leads me to believe this is an anomaly of sorts. I mean, if it was like this all the time I would think people would build stronger fences or no fence at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have lived near Portland for almost 30 years. Weather at the coast is always more intense than in the valley where I am at so you're going to see worse than me. But the recent series of high wind heavy rain storms are not normal. Our weather pattern is that "rain" is usually a heavy mist or sprinkle and it lasts several months. Like once every 3 or 4 years a storm comes down from Alaska and we get a couple of inches of snow in the valley.

I have lived near Portland for almost 30 years. Weather at the coast is always more intense than in the valley where I am at so you're going to see worse than me. But the recent series of high wind heavy rain storms are not normal. Our weather pattern is that "rain" is usually a heavy mist or sprinkle and it lasts several months. Like once every 3 or 4 years a storm comes down from Alaska and we get a couple of inches of snow in the valley.

Thank heavens for that. I was about to start questioning the decision to move out here (not quite but it has been eye opening). Granted we are right on the water so we are getting the full effect for sure, but this has been brutal. Every once in a while I can see it getting gnarly but multiple times a week would end up driving me nuts.

Look forward to the times during the summer when it is 70 and breezy on the coast and 90's here in the valley. But winters do suck, especially on the beach. I hear Coasties say alot during storms, "It was a wet rain today!" Kinda like a dry heat thing I suppose

Also what they call a small hurricane on the east coast is just called a strong storm here in the NW during the winter, lol.

It's a tad breezy up here today. Trees falling on power lines is sure to make my commute home a delight.

Also what they call a small hurricane on the east coast is just called a strong storm here in the NW during the winter, lol.

No kidding. We moved from Florida where I spent my first 43 years and I’ve been through a few Cat 1 storms. The wind that was coming through here this morning was every bit as powerful for long stretches at a time. The place we are renting is right on the water so we get the full brunt of it. And it’s old, so not much protection from the sounds of it all. When we do buy next year, it won’t be on the beach I can promise you that. For the next few months we’ll just have to deal with it.

I did speak with some folks who did say that while winter storms are the norm, the last couple this week were a bit stronger than usual.

Well we left work early and hit the bar today...something about the site being unsafe.
139021e106886d9d0e7365f43773fbea.jpg

It will be interesting to see what you think of the cooler Oregon climate after you get a year behind you. I’m so glad to be back in Minnesota after 20 years in N. California.

So location really matters. 2/3s of Oregon is a high desert with tumbleweeds and other dry grasses. On the other hand, the Oregon coast generally gets a lot of rain. Florence? 71-inches per year. Gold Coast? 80-inches per year. Brookings has relatively low rainfall at 39-inches per year. So, it matters EXACTLY where you are talking about. Temperature-wise you are looking at average highs in the 40s this time of year. 50s and 60s at spring through fall. You will face more wind than you are used to in Florida.

If you are more specific on where along the coast you are looking to relocate, I can be more specific.

We visited Seaside for an interview

Ah, there it is. So, Seaside gets about 100-inches of rain per year, so you are going to get wet. The temperatures are about what I gave you.

Back