Do you play the same ball for 18 holes?

OGputtnfool

Reaction score
Handicap
So, the "water ball" thread got me thinking. Obviously, on Tour, they are required to play the same brand/model of ball for the entire round. For us mere mortals, we do not have such a rule. So, do you play the same brand/model of ball the entire round or do you change up based on variables at play or based on no variables at all?

For me, I try to stay with the same brand/model I start with. If the round goes in the toilet, then I'll start pulling whatever, but for the most part, I attempt to play with the same. Currently playing the TM TP5. My previous ball was the Nike RZN Black so if the round goes to ****, I may pull a RZN Black out of the bag. The only other time I might pull out a RZN Black would be for a provisional ball to ensure I know which was the original and which is the provisional.

So, the "water ball" thread got me thinking. Obviously, on Tour, they are required to play the same brand/model of ball for the entire round. For us mere mortals, we do not have such a rule. So, do you play the same brand/model of ball the entire round or do you change up based on variables at play or based on no variables at all?

For me, I try to stay with the same brand/model I start with. If the round goes in the toilet, then I'll start pulling whatever, but for the most part, I attempt to play with the same. Currently playing the TM TP5. My previous ball was the Nike RZN Black so if the round goes to ****, I may pull a RZN Black out of the bag. The only other time I might pull out a RZN Black would be for a provisional ball to ensure I know which was the original and which is the provisional.
Hell no. I'm on my 2nd dozen by hole 5 ;)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Play the same ball the whole round. Whichever I start with, Bridgestone B330-RX or Snell MTB, I will finish with on 18.

But on a serious note, I stick with same brand and model start to finish if I can help it simply because of feel. I'll run chrome soft x or pro v1s on a course i'm comfy with. Otherwise I'll run MTB or Bridgestone

Always try to stick with one ball. Only thing that will make me change is a bad scuff. I usually use same ball ball for multiple rounds as well. When I lose it I grab a fresh new one. If I’m playing a tournament or money round I’ll be a little more particular about it.

I played the same exact ball for 183 holes.

But on a serious note, I stick with same brand and model start to finish if I can help it simply because of feel. I'll run chrome soft x or pro v1s on a course i'm comfy with. Otherwise I'll run MTB or Bridgestone

Whatever ball I start with, that’s what gets played. I don’t switch up brands or even types of ball of the brand I’m playing.

After the round I take out the scuffed up ones and make sure I have a fresh sleeve for the next round.

I played the same exact ball for 183 holes.

That is impressive! I typically retire mine after 54 holes and pull out a new one to start the following round.

That is impressive! I typically retire mine after 54 holes and pull out a new one to start the following round.

It was pretty beat up when I took it out of play!

I can only imagine! lol

Here it is! I did try to keep it as clean as I usually do. These are just how it looked when I retired it. I never cleaned it up. I also never normally play Maxfli. But someone gave me a dozen of these, and I just never lost this particular one!

183 holes. Had to retire it. I was smashing drives that were going 200 yards. They felt like 250+,but we're just dead balls. Won't be keeping a ball anywhere near this long ever again.

emupenun.jpg
3ajyqytu.jpg
esaby9u4.jpg
yzy8ures.jpg

I generally wear out and retire the balls I play, but it wasn't always so. I'll play a round with two balls of the same make and model that I pull out of the bag.

I use the same ball type. For a while I messed with using an e6 on holes I was going a 100% with driver. I will play different balls in a scramble if there are no rules against it.

My bag only has one kind of ball in it. I got tired of accidentally grabbing a water ball and not knowing what I was playing, so all the water balls are in the shag bag now.

I think I have made it thru a round with 1 ball only 1 time ever.This year is going to be different.

Played one ball for 18 holes today. I switch brands sometimes if I’m looking for variety during a round.

I play whatever comes out of my ball pocket.

I play the same ball for all 18 holes.

Sometimes if no one is out there following us, I may play a second shot but even then 99.9% of the time I will use the same ball for that too unless I have a ball that I haven't hit and want to try it! Now I don't keep shag balls or anything close to it, I give them to a friend so only have good balls that are like new in the bag that I will hit. If I get too many I will give some away to folks on the golf course that we may pass by or just meet up at a slow tee box. Then at the end of the season, I will do bag cleanup and play what ever odd balls are in the bag!

I’ll play the same model most of the time. If my swing is on vacation I’ll play whatever cheaper ball I have on hand. No sense tossing away good balls because I forgot how to swing a club.

I usually play whatever I grab out of the bag. I rarely am able to play an entire 18 with only one ball.

I play the same brand and model unless I'm actively auditioning another ball.

Rare though as I usually stick with the same until they alter it in a way not to my liking (ie: Srixon spin-skin... blech!) or they disappear (ie: Strata Tour Ultimate 2, Hogan Tour Deep, TM TP Red LDP).

Play whatever I pull out of the bag. Play a softer ball, supersoft, wilson 50, trusoft on cooler days and firmer ball Chrome Soft, NXT, B330 on warmer days (mid 80's and up). Tournament or competitive round try to play the same ball so putting is more consistent. I seldom wear out a ball:loser:

I generally play the same ball model throughout a round, but when I’m testing balls I’ll play a mixture.

I'll stay with same ball I started with unless it gets damaged during play. I will switch though if it misbehaving (always ball's fault) to another brand but usually end up with what I started with.

Back