My Life as a Golfer - Year 1

Maric

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
My Life as a Golfer – Year 1
Two years ago, I retired and moved to Myrtle Beach, SC home to about 100 golf courses. After a year of fixing up my house and learning my way around I decided it was time to start learning golf. Golfsmith was going out of business, so I went there to check out the women’s clubs. I’m not sure if the clerk was disgruntled because he was going to lose his job, or he was just ignorant. There were 2 different brands of women’s sets available. When I asked them what the difference was his response was “this one has a purple bag and that one is blue”. I’m not surprised they went out of business. I chose the blue.

I had taken a couple of lessons at an indoor facility before I retired. I learned the best grip for me and some basic swing set up, but work interfered with the ability to practice or continue. My father and some of my brothers played and now some of my nephews play frequently (almost obsessively). I played a little in high school but not very often or very well.

My first lessons here in Myrtle Beach was at the local driving range with an older gentleman that got great reviews. He was an excellent teacher and very encouraging. In between lessons I would hit the range and practice what I learned. The only problem was that he preferred to give lessons in the afternoon and I couldn’t handle afternoon heat and humidity.

My next instructor was at the indoor simulators at the PGA Superstore. The instructor was good, but I always left the lessons more discouraged that encouraged. He would hand me a page of notes on corrections I needed to make. I also wasn’t fond of the “peanut gallery” that would stand behind me and watch. It made me very self-conscious. I would hit the range early in the morning to practice what he had written down and slowly improved. He was very good at pointing out what I was doing wrong but rarely acknowledged any improvement. For me as a beginner, he was not the right instructor.

I was beginning to lose interest, when I attended a Women’s Expo and came across a booth for shecaddie. The woman at the booth explained she had started shecaddie to help women who wanted to learn to golf or were new to golf and ready for the next step. To get an idea of what the group is about go to shecaddie.com or shecaddie on Facebook.

I attended a couple of shecaddie clinics and was finally ready to play a round. My first round was at a 9 hole 3 par with a couple of other shecaddie members. First drive landed right on the green about 2 feet from the hole. Tapped it in for my very first birdie! First hole on my very first round – I was hooked! Through the winter, weather permitting, I attended clinics and played the 3 par.

The instructors at the clinics were great. Taking us one step at a time through the clubs. Demonstrating how little changes to set up and swing can make big differences in distance and direction. Lots of time to practice while they offer subtle advice. In January I played my first “real” course at a shecaddie event.

About this time, I also discovered this wonderful site. THP has really helped me understand how much is involved in becoming a better golfer.

I continue to play 2 9 hole rounds a week and attend at least one clinic. My game is steadily improving.
About a month ago I felt I was ready to try a fitting to get a “big girl” driver to replace the driver that came with the set. Here’s my fitting thread https://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php/102255-My-very-first-driver-fitting/page2

So that brings me to the present. I’ve really fallen in love with the game. The stats, the little tweaks that make a big difference, the encouragement I receive from fellow shecaddie golfers and of course THPers.

Numbers
Numbers are important in golf so here’s my number timeline.
Driver Club Head Speed Total Distance
First Lesson in 2015 (Average)29.847.43
Last Lesson in 2015 (Average)3355.7
Last Lesson 1/185292
Fitting 3/18 (Best swing)63124
Current Best (measured by 3Bays)73189
I think the 3Bays is a little high on total distance, reality is probably more like 150 for best.

Conclusion
I love golf, I love the challenges, statistics, being out on the course and on the range. But most of all I love the comraderie of my fellow shecaddie members.
Golf can be intimidating (especially for women new to the game) and having a group that encourages you to get better while having fun makes it great.

Thanks for sharing this. Should be fun to follow.

What a fantastic post and thank you for sharing your journey. Hopefully you can continue to enjoy the game for many years to come.

Great post! As a regular poster in the "Breaking 100" thread, I extend the invitation to join us. We're a bunch of high-handicap hopefuls who share stories of misadventures, tips, struggles, and breakthroughs. We're also a great support group and mutual admiration society.

Thanks for sharing, and don’t ever let the morons wear you down!!

My life as a golfer @ year 1 :

1. Club Ho
2. Hackerparadise Ho
3. Golfwrx Ho
4. Ebay Ho
5. Youtube Ho

Congrats on your first year! Looks like a pretty good one overall, definite improvement in your swing speed and you’re having fun which is the most important thing!

Great post. It will be fun to follow along and see how this year goes for you. Good luck with it and enjoy the game!

Thanks for sharing. Great to see the improvements and glad you enjoy it so much.

Thanks for sharing. I really enjoyed reading your golf journey to this point.

Remarkable improvement made already, I can see why you're hooked! Thank you for sharing this remarkable post. This one could be used often as inspiration to others just starting out.

Great post. Looking forward to following your journey.

Love hearing from another woman! Fantastic post and fantastic year!

And I’ll look up shecaddie here shortly- thanks for the tip!

Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to following along

great write up, even better progression, thanks for sharing

Thanks for posting. I can't imagine trying to learn golf as an adult starting from close to no experience.

Thanks for sharing, you had some bumps on the road, but you’ve stuck with it, glad to see you continue to do so and enjoy the game.

Great post. Nice to see you getting such enjoyment from the game! There may be some bumps in the road every now and then, but try and always have fun with it. Here's to continued success!

Thanks for posting. I can't imagine trying to learn golf as an adult starting from close to no experience.

I'm so glad I did.

Back