KBS TGI 70 Tour Graphite Iron Shafts - THP Review

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
Coming soon for review, one I'm pretty curious about because we heard for years that KBS would stay steel only and in the last two have really changed course on that, the new KBS TGI Tour Graphite iron shafts. I'll be receiving the TGI 70 in for this review and there honestly isn't much out there on them yet, so it'll be a real discovery period once they're installed and put into play. As for what they will go in, I have not the slightest clue, going to have to try to find some .370 heads which could be a chore.

What I'd like to do in advance of them getting here, start the conversation and let you (THP) have a crack at posing the questions, curiosities, excitement, whatever you may have for these. I know we have some KBS die hards on here who are super excited, so come on out into the deep end of the pool and lets talk shop!

For now, here is what we know from KBS:

TGI Tour Graphite Iron - $49.95/shaft

YOUR GRAPHITE NOW PLAYS LIKE STEEL.

The KBS TGI – Tour Graphite Iron is designed for players looking for maximum steel like play-ability, shot control and performance in a graphite shaft, developed from optimized weight and stiffness.

10 Years ago, KBS Golf Shafts changed the way your Irons played and performed, now we are doing it AGAIN, with Graphite. Introducing the KBS TGI Tour Graphite Iron. The KBS Tour Graphite Iron is the first Graphite Shaft to play like KBS Steel with optimized weight and stiffness per player to gain maximum play-ability & performance. It is designed with the same E.I. curve as our KBS Tour Steel and is in every weight class to fit every player from Juniors to Women, to Tour Professionals.

SHAFT FEATURES
5% lower trajectory
5% less spin
5% more distance
Available in 4 flexes from 50g › 80g

In hand pictures to be added when they arrive, both in this post, and a subsequent one in the thread discussion!

[h=1][/h]

I am really curious about these and same as you the .370 is a problem, I guess they figured these would be for custom fitting with all the cpm stuff done for tip trimming.

I thought Callaway used to use a lot of .370 bore but I think all the newer stuff is .350 or .355, I guess I could just drill them not which is really not a big deal but if the shafts were not right then oh well just sell the whole set I guess.

I really liked the C taper feel and benefits but they killed my joints, if these had a similar ball flight, etc. they could be excellent. Curious to see what you find out.

seems like the 5% stuff is exactly what they say about the C taper line, is that a coincidence?

• Staff
I am really curious about these and same as you the .370 is a problem, I guess they figured these would be for custom fitting with all the cpm stuff done for tip trimming.

I thought Callaway used to use a lot of .370 bore but I think all the newer stuff is .350 or .355, I guess I could just drill them not which is really not a big deal but if the shafts were not right then oh well just sell the whole set I guess.

I really liked the C taper feel and benefits but they killed my joints, if these had a similar ball flight, etc. they could be excellent. Curious to see what you find out.
Im excited about the weight after the Zelos review. I expect high launch and higher side of spin from these if I'm being honest, but less than the Zelos, and much more receptive to 's stronger swinger.

I have really enjoyed the PX LZ 95 weight and being just a bit lighter might be a good thing. I did not get along with the Tour 90 or Tour V 110 the tour 90 S was just moon balls and the Tour V 110 stiff played like a 2x4 for me.

• Staff
I have really enjoyed the PX LZ 95 weight and being just a bit lighter might be a good thing. I did not get along with the Tour 90 or Tour V 110 the tour 90 S was just moon balls and the Tour V 110 stiff played like a 2x4 for me.
Man, I wanted the 90s to be the ones for me for a long time. Couldn't work well with my swing though, quick and strong hahaha

I am going to be very curious as to how you like these Jamesman.

• Staff
I am going to be very curious as to how you like these Jamesman.
70g, it'll be interesting, but after Zelos it doesn't scare me, so that's good.

KBS Tours were good for me for a good while, so that profile, lighter, and graphite does sound enticing.

Would love to try them, but too light for my liking :(

Would love to try them, but too light for my liking :(
I think this is just the beginning of us seeing more and more lighter, and still stable, options. I was resistant as a 110-120g player, but, lighter could mean not only faster, but benefit round endurance, so that keeps my eye. The key is going to be dispersion and stability, it reads like KBS believes they've found that.

Curious if these feel as boardy as their tapered steel shafts. Well I should say boardy to me.

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk

James on a kick of reviewing some lightweight shafts. I like these back to back with the Zelos, since you're already in the mindset of swinging the lighter irons. Can't wait to hear your thoughts since I'm a huge fan of the KBS profile.

Curious if these feel as boardy as their tapered steel shafts. Well I should say boardy to me.

It's funny, and goes to show how personal shaft choice is - to me the KBS tour is one of the smoothest feeling shafts. Just works perfectly for my swing.

It's funny, and goes to show how personal shaft choice is - to me the KBS tour is one of the smoothest feeling shafts. Just works perfectly for my swing.
I agree. Either I'm spoiled by Nippon which is super smooth to me, or I don't generate enough speed to appreciate some of KBS offerings. I do like the tour 90 though.

Different strokes.

I think this is just the beginning of us seeing more and more lighter, and still stable, options. I was resistant as a 110-120g player, but, lighter could mean not only faster, but benefit round endurance, so that keeps my eye. The key is going to be dispersion and stability, it reads like KBS believes they've found that.

The thing I've found is that I swing lighter shafts slower than heavier. I think it's a subconscious reaction to not being able to "feel" the club as well in the swing.

Talking C-taper?
James on a kick of reviewing some lightweight shafts. I like these back to back with the Zelos, since you're already in the mindset of swinging the lighter irons. Can't wait to hear your thoughts since I'm a huge fan of the KBS profile.
Went back to beefy this week, so it'll be another adjustment hahaha
The thing I've found is that I swing lighter shafts slower than heavier. I think it's a subconscious reaction to not being able to "feel" the club as well in the swing.
That's a swing weight thing though, no? Always has been for me, and why I pay extra focus on the SW when installing lightweight shafts into irons.

Talking C-taper? .
Yes. I want to like the C taper and CT lite. I try them a few times a year, they always feel boardy to me.

Interesting they have finally gone down this road...looking forward to your thoughts. Man i loved the tour 90s.. had them in everything before i went graphite for the last few years.

Yes. I want to like the C taper and CT lite. I try them a few times a year, they always feel boardy to me.

Dude, those aren't KBS feel, those are the outliers by a large margin and were designed to be, really. The KBS Tour helped bring feel, to steel. You like the Nippon (my current gamers too), you'd enjoy the KBS Tour or Tour V's.

Dude, those aren't KBS feel, those are the outliers by a large margin and were designed to be, really. The KBS Tour helped bring feel, to steel. You like the Nippon (my current gamers too), you'd enjoy the KBS Tour or Tour V's.
I do like the T 90's. I should spend some more time with the other offerings instead of trying to like something that's not designed for me. Thanks for the advice dude.

I do like the T 90's. I should spend some more time with the other offerings instead of trying to like something that's not designed for me. Thanks for the advice dude.

Happy to help. Always!

Lower trajectory and less spin doesn’t seem like it would work for me, but knowing your game, I will be following closely

Looking forward to the pics as well

Lower trajectory and less spin doesn’t seem like it would work for me, but knowing your game, I will be following closely

Looking forward to the pics as well
I'd like to know, lower than what. The info we have is pretty vague, and there's really just not a ton out there. Other things I've read from people who've worked with them report higher end of launch spectrum with some decent spin.

We shall see!

Seems more likely to be a swingweight issue. A bit of lead tape can solve it

I'd like to know, lower than what. The info we have is pretty vague, and there's really just not a ton out there. Other things I've read from people who've worked with them report higher end of launch spectrum with some decent spin.

We shall see!

That is different- if anyone will get to the bottom of it with facts and data it’s you, looking forward to the review process

Back