What Wilson Staff irons should I go for?

owly

Reaction score
Handicap
Hi all,

I'm getting back into the game. I want to get some new irons to improve my game with, I currently have graphite burners that are too light for me / I don't enjoy swinging.

I was wondering whether I should go for the C200 or D200 series of Wilson Staff irons. I want to buy them used online. I went to a golf shop today and hit the D300 and C300 (they didn't have the older models), they felt about the same. I was more consistent with the D series. I carried the 7 irons about 165 yds (keep in mind half of them were shanks).

They both seem like good options. The biggest thing the associate at the golf shop mentioned was to make sure that I get stiff shafts, as they suit my swing speed. I noticed the D200 only comes in uniflex, whereas the C200 comes in stiff.

I basically want irons that I can take lessons with and get feedback from. I am not necessarily looking for the lowest score. Ideally I improve my swing over the next year, and then get fitted for a set of irons (if I feel I could use it). I'm in my early 20's.

Basically here are my Qs:

Will the uniflex on the D200s fit for me?
Are the C200s forgiving enough to consider at this point?
Would I even need to replace the C200s if I end up developing my game / swing over the next year?
Should I be considering something besides Wilson Staff? They seem like a great value.

Anyways, can't stop staring at the D200 and C200 checkout pages on ebay. Would greatly appreciate some advice!

Wilson/Staff makes some awesome gear. I’m on my 3rd set of their irons and I love them.

The D200s sound right up your alley and I bet you can find them in stiff flex on eBay or from a reputable retailer in gently used condition. Uniflex tends to toe the line between regular and stiff flex. I’ve had those shafts in other clubs and never had any issues with launch or feel.

There are a lot of higher handicap members here who have had great success with the C200 line, they are extremely forgiving. When I hit them head to head when they were released, the D200s won out for me too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like the D200's would work good for you!

FYI if you decide on the D200's, budgetgolfer on Ebay has them new for only $211 includes free shipping and the set is 5-GW in Uniflex.

No affiliation with the seller! Just passing on the best deal I have seen on these irons! :)

If you’re in your early 20s and hitting the ball hard, I would avoid super light shafts meant to speed you up. Find something cheap on eBay from any of the manufacturers with a basic, meaty shaft on it like KBS Tours or Dynamic Gold.

When I got back in to things a couple years ago I got the Wilson Staff Ci (or maybe it was C100) irons with the uniflex for next to nothing and hit them well...much heavier shaft on them. I wish the C200 came with options and the .370 hosel thing pisses me off too because it further limits options.

My advice...go straight to a used set of FG Tour F5 and get good.

Hi all,

I'm getting back into the game. I want to get some new irons to improve my game with, I currently have graphite burners that are too light for me / I don't enjoy swinging.

I was wondering whether I should go for the C200 or D200 series of Wilson Staff irons. I want to buy them used online. I went to a golf shop today and hit the D300 and C300 (they didn't have the older models), they felt about the same. I was more consistent with the D series. I carried the 7 irons about 165 yds (keep in mind half of them were shanks).

They both seem like good options. The biggest thing the associate at the golf shop mentioned was to make sure that I get stiff shafts, as they suit my swing speed. I noticed the D200 only comes in uniflex, whereas the C200 comes in stiff.

I basically want irons that I can take lessons with and get feedback from. I am not necessarily looking for the lowest score. Ideally I improve my swing over the next year, and then get fitted for a set of irons (if I feel I could use it). I'm in my early 20's.

Basically here are my Qs:

Will the uniflex on the D200s fit for me?
Are the C200s forgiving enough to consider at this point?
Would I even need to replace the C200s if I end up developing my game / swing over the next year?
Should I be considering something besides Wilson Staff? They seem like a great value.

Anyways, can't stop staring at the D200 and C200 checkout pages on ebay. Would greatly appreciate some advice!

In my opinion, you could run with the C200s, especially if you are going to be taking lessons and working on improving. The shaft is a touch light for my tastes, but you can get in in a stiff (if that's what works for you), and be OK for a period of time.

If you’re in your early 20s and hitting the ball hard, I would avoid super light shafts meant to speed you up. Find something cheap on eBay from any of the manufacturers with a basic, meaty shaft on it like KBS Tours or Dynamic Gold.

When I got back in to things a couple years ago I got the Wilson Staff Ci (or maybe it was C100) irons with the uniflex for next to nothing and hit them well...much heavier shaft on them. I wish the C200 came with options and the .370 hosel thing pisses me off too because it further limits options.

My advice...go straight to a used set of FG Tour F5 and get good.

To the bolded... Why does this limit options? A .370 hosel is capable of handling nearly any iron shaft made, including taper-tips (.355) and parallel tips (.370).

ive been playing D200's for three years now. To me they feel too heavy but I like a lighter club. Sounds like they will fit the bill for you.

Not that I am great at working the ball flight, but they seem to be a little hard to work draws or fades, high/low trajectory. But most game improvement irons can be like that.

In my opinion, you could run with the C200s, especially if you are going to be taking lessons and working on improving. The shaft is a touch light for my tastes, but you can get in in a stiff (if that's what works for you), and be OK for a period of time.

To the bolded... Why does this limit options? A .370 hosel is capable of handling nearly any iron shaft made, including taper-tips (.355) and parallel tips (.370).

Harder to tinker with because of purchasing options...not talking about playability.

Harder to tinker with because of purchasing options...not talking about playability.

I've found use of shims pretty simple with .355 tips, if one is interested in trying different shafts with different tip sizes, but to each their own.

I've found use of shims pretty simple with .355 tips, if one is interested in trying different shafts with different tip sizes, but to each their own.

If I could go back in time I would either never started thinkering or I would have took up club building as a hobby...I wish it were the latter. As it stands not I have to bring everything in to some old dude at my club.

If I could go back in time I would either never started thinkering or I would have took up club building as a hobby...I wish it were the latter. As it stands not I have to bring everything in to some old dude at my club.
LOL, I can understand that. I actually stopped doing my own tinkering years ago, because I was building and re-building. For no other reason than to just try something else.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

They're all good...and nothing beats the name "WILSON STAFF" on a set of clubs. I'm older and grew up with WS, and bought a set of FG-51's to replace a set I sold years ago. Still hit like banchees! Don't forget their golf balls too!

What Wilson Staff irons should I go for?

I wish the C200 came with options and the .370 hosel thing pisses me off too because it further limits options.

Deleted because it was answered already. I’ll just add that I played .355 DG S300 in these heads with zero issues.

Do you think the added weight of the D200s on the heel could hurt my swing development as I try to get better?

Almost considering getting Ping i E1s or something similar at this point so I can get more feedback on my swing.

Guess it's a dilemma between short term satisfaction and development.

I'm cooling on the idea of the C200s just because they are so light.

Do you think the added weight of the D200s on the heel could hurt my swing development as I try to get better?

Almost considering getting Ping i E1s or something similar at this point so I can get more feedback on my swing.

No, the D200s won't hurt you. Single digit cappers on this forum have played those irons with great success.

If you want to improve your game, go with game improvement irons. Go out and have fun with them. No sense in going with less forgiving irons and frustrating yourself, IMO. But in the end, you should play what you like. If you like smaller, thinner, less forgiving, then play those.

First of all, I am a Wilson staff fan. Not because of branding but because in 2012 they displaced my Pings, my Mizuno's and the three other irons. Since then I have tried several Wilson products and they are all very nice. Near best in market at fractional cost.

recently I got some C200's and the jury is still out on them simply because the shafts are light and headweight is low. This may sound like crap but my old Wilsons are playing at D5/d6 and the new C200's with the stiff KSB tour 90 not even getting to DO. Last night I installed a light weight grip on my 8i. Now the Swing Weight is D6. Club feels heavy now but is actually still 2oz lighter in total then my old CI9's. If you are young you might want to think about a full weight shaft or at least be willing to re-grip with a light grip. I'm +50 but a C9 swing weight is silly light. Even my graphite woods are D2.

My son is a 17 year old starter and he will get my old CI9's (similar to new c200). I consider them as providing enough help for a starter yet enough feel that you could play them as a 5 handicap. they won't slow you down.

Ended up getting the Wilson Staff FG Tour F5s w/ DG S300 Stiff shafts 4-GW off ebay for $180 + $20 shipping. (condition looked practically new / unplayed)

The C200, D200 and FG Tour F5s all seemed like great options.

The lightness of the C200 scared me away from them. I could have gotten C200s w/ stiff shafts for $325. I'm coming from graphite shafts...Idk, the 130 page THP C200 thread made me very tempted to pick them up

The D300s (latest model) performed great for me at the hitting nets. I was very tempted to get the D200s for $210. It seemed that the D200s profile was a bit fatter than the D300s, and I thought I might get tired of them. The uniflex shaft thing scared me away a bit too.

The F5s seemed like such a great deal, and I think I can grow into them. I really like the idea that they will provide some feedback.

We'll see how it goes..! Now I can finally stop over researching and go enjoy hitting some new clubs.

If you can get a hold of some Ping i E1s then you can't possibly go wrong and can move forward without second guessing.

Ended up getting the Wilson Staff FG Tour F5s w/ DG S300 Stiff shafts 4-GW off ebay for $180 + $20 shipping. (condition looked practically new / unplayed)

The C200, D200 and FG Tour F5s all seemed like great options.

The lightness of the C200 scared me away from them. I could have gotten C200s w/ stiff shafts for $325. I'm coming from graphite shafts...Idk, the 130 page THP C200 thread made me very tempted to pick them up

The D300s (latest model) performed great for me at the hitting nets. I was very tempted to get the D200s for $210. It seemed that the D200s profile was a bit fatter than the D300s, and I thought I might get tired of them. The uniflex shaft thing scared me away a bit too.

The F5s seemed like such a great deal, and I think I can grow into them. I really like the idea that they will provide some feedback.

We'll see how it goes..! Now I can finally stop over researching and go enjoy hitting some new clubs.

Great choice...keep in mind the shafts on the F5s are actually Dynamic Gold XP which I think you will end up appreciating...a little lighter than standard DG but not much. They're still in the 117-120 gram range and really good.

I wouldn't necessarily rule out the c200 just because of the lighter shaft. I came from a heavier KBS tour shaft and the transition to the lighter KBS Tour 90 wasn't that difficult. I have since switched to graphite, also lighter weight, and the C200s perform.

I'm in the high single digits, and the C200s are going to help me improve even more. There is no reason they can't help you improve with your improving swing.

Doubt creeping in...

May flip these and go for the C200s. Haven't hit them yet, but the more I read about the C200 tech the more I think I could benefit from it

Doubt creeping in...

May flip these and go for the C200s. Haven't hit them yet, but the more I read about the C200 tech the more I think I could benefit from it

I have owned both sets...stick with the F5. They are surprisingly long and forgiving while giving you all the obvious benefits that a softer, forged club will have over a super hot GI iron.

Doubt creeping in...

I have owned both sets...stick with the F5. They are surprisingly long and forgiving while giving you all the obvious benefits that a softer, forged club will have over a super hot GI iron.

And this is why it's so great there are a number of really good iron options available for golfers these days. I didn't like the F5s, at all, but loved the C200s. Why? Who knows. The better swings weren't much different between them, though the worse swings were helped more by the C200s. I just felt more comfortable with what the C200s gave me, I guess, especially when I paired them with the C-Taper Lites.

@owly whatever you go with, hope you really like them. Look forward to your thoughts on whichever set you decide on.

Doubt creeping in...

@formula8 has a set of F5's he picked up from Budget Golf - He hits them really well.

Give yourself a couple of months before giving upon them. You'll know if they aren't right for you...

And this is why it's so great there are a number of really good iron options available for golfers these days. I didn't like the F5s, at all, but loved the C200s. Why? Who knows. The better swings weren't much different between them, though the worse swings were helped more by the C200s. I just felt more comfortable with what the C200s gave me, I guess, especially when I paired them with the C-Taper Lites.

@owly whatever you go with, hope you really like them. Look forward to your thoughts on whichever set you decide on.

Agreed...not trying to sell one over the other but since he's already ordered and paid for the F5s then go for it, imo.

@formula8 has a set of F5's he picked up from Budget Golf - He hits them really well.

Give yourself a couple of months before giving upon them. You'll know if they aren't right for you...
I actually have the V4's. Less forgiving than either C200 or F5

To the OP. If you already have the F5 just play those and see how you like them. There will always be a myriad of options out there that intrigue you.

For me personally, forgiveness in my irons is way down the list of reasons why I don't score well. Very few times I miss hit an iron and the shot is close enough to the green that a more forgiving option would be the difference between me hitting and missing the green. Missing fairways, not chipping / pitching it close enough and missing putts are all more crucial to me scoring.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Back