OGputtnfool

Reaction score
Handicap
Freddie, or anyone. Without a video, please tell me what is the most common cause of toe/hosel hits? Yeah, I'm not hitting the hosel every time and I'm not hitting the toe every time. It's almost like I don't know which one is coming next. I'll even throw in the occasional decent shot, but they're few and far between nowadays.

Ok, so I uploaded some driver swings in post #4. I need to get some video of my hitting some hosel rockets and toe shots sometime to see if I can pick out what I'm doing or someone here can pinpoint it.

Last edited:
Have you tried putting a couple of tees in the ground, a tee gate wide enough to let the blade through and practice swinging/hitting the ball without hitting the tees. Start with a short back swing and work up to a full swing. Go easy on yourself, make the gate wide enough to be successful. Try some foot powder or face tape on club and see where you are hitting the ball. Get a feel for what a good strike, for you, feels like.

Thats golf for this hacker-not hitting better shots but reducing my bad shots. I'll get a much better score by reducing doubles and triples than I will making birdies.

for me, it's alignment. if i'm not properly aligned, i will make in-swing adjustments to try to get the ball moving toward the target. that can mean a lot of things, but more often than not it means poor contact.

Based on what I see in your driver swing, you could stand a little closer to the ball. This would make you stand a little tall. Your stance is a bit wide. Your feet should be just outside the shoulders. This will make you stand taller and closer to the ball. Keep those knees flexed and make sure you have flex at the hips. The arms should just hang from your shoulders. Not extend out or be drawn in.

The swing itself is solid and smooth. It was your setup that gave me pause.

Based on what I see in your driver swing, you could stand a little closer to the ball. This would make you stand a little tall. Your stance is a bit wide. Your feet should be just outside the shoulders. This will make you stand taller and closer to the ball. Keep those knees flexed and make sure you have flex at the hips. The arms should just hang from your shoulders. Not extend out or be drawn in.

The swing itself is solid and smooth. It was your setup that gave me pause.

Thank you. I'll give it a shot on the range. For the record, I widened my stance about a 1/2 foot's width last fall. I felt like I was getting a little too fast with the lower body causing uncontrollable hooks at times and widening the stance quieted that down a bit.

The arm hang aspect makes me wonder if that's why my irons are inconsistent.

Here's the "anyone else's" comment. Your swing looks identical to my old swing. Deceptively looks good...but early extension.

Your swing is longer which is fine, but that also requires you to move the handle of the club more towards the front of your chest earlier in the transition. Your lower body is too far ahead at the transition and your hands can never catch-up to your chest. I ran your swing on .25 slo-mo on a side view and it's clear the club handle is behind your chest, and the right wrist plays catch-up because the handle is too far behind.

Try to get the club down using lower body rotation...and/or....shorten the swing to more keep the handle more in front of your chest at the top. Reverse the order...work from the ground-up.

Here's the "anyone else's" comment. Your swing looks identical to my old swing. Deceptively looks good...but early extension.

Your swing is longer which is fine, but that also requires you to move the handle of the club more towards the front of your chest earlier in the transition. Your lower body is too far ahead at the transition and your hands can never catch-up to your chest. I ran your swing on .25 slo-mo on a side view and it's clear the club handle is behind your chest, and the right wrist plays catch-up because the handle is too far behind.

Try to get the club down using lower body rotation...and/or....shorten the swing to more keep the handle more in front of your chest at the top. Reverse the order...work from the ground-up.

This might be the worst assessment I have read. Non of the things you said are correct.

Put up a video...far easier. Let the experts comment. Otherwise it's like asking a lawyer if you have a case without introducing evidence.

I can't comment on the swing, but I am impressed you can swing with a towel hanging off your hip; that would drive me insane.

I can't comment on the swing, but I am impressed you can swing with a towel hanging off your hip; that would drive me insane.

I can't swing without it now. I feel like I'm missing something. If it's windy, I sometimes toss it on my back. I can count on one hand the number of times I've had to take it off and put it on the ground because it was so windy it was a hindrance to my swing.

Your right elbow is flying a bit. And as a result, you are over the top of swing plane. Try to pinch the right elbow in closer to the left arm on the back swing. If you are able to do this, you’ll see more consistency in your ball striking.

I'll definitely work on that. First lesson I've had in 15+ years is tomorrow morning. I'm anxious to see what he says.

for me, it's alignment. if i'm not properly aligned, i will make in-swing adjustments to try to get the ball moving toward the target. that can mean a lot of things, but more often than not it means poor contact.

You said that dirty word again. My biggest issue by far. Don't know why, it looks like I'm set every time I swing, then it goes straight left. I look back and see that's where I was pointing to. I don't have this issue with my driver, just my irons, including full wedges.

Didn't mean to hijack, just venting!

You said that dirty word again. My biggest issue by far. Don't know why, it looks like I'm set every time I swing, then it goes straight left. I look back and see that's where I was pointing to. I don't have this issue with my driver, just my irons, including full wedges.

Didn't mean to hijack, just venting!

it's a huge issue for me too, but i'm usually aimed way right. so to try to help with that, i get set, and before i swing i stay in posture and swivel my head. it's almost like my chin is rotating up to the left (i'm right handed) on a parallel plane to my shoulder line. if i like what i see, i pull the trigger. but if i am looking right, i will back off or just re-position my feet. it seems to be the worst with putts and chips.

Put up a video...far easier. Let the experts comment. Otherwise it's like asking a lawyer if you have a case without introducing evidence.

There are a few videos already up. I think post #4 has 3 in it.

Had a lesson this morning. The pro didn't change much, but the small things he did change made a difference. I'm sure after practicing them more, I'll see even more improvement.

First, he made a subtle grip change and had me move my index finger on my right hand just a little lower. Sort of a "trigger finger" he called it. Felt a little weird at first, but after a few hits, I can deal with it.

Second, he pointed out (what I already knew) that my backswing was way too long. I was coming well past parallel on most shots.

Third, in addition to going past parallel, he pointed out that my left wrist was far from flat and was bowed so that it was allowing my club to come across the line.

He also pointed out that I have a fairly early release sometimes (ok, often). That's something I'll need to work on, too.

Was a good experience. It has been a while since I've had a pro put eyes on my swing in person so I'm glad I went through with it. Not sure if I'll extend to the series of 6 individual lessons or set up some 2 on 1 lessons with my son once school is out and we can both go on a weekday morning.

Back