Tipping at Golf - How much do you Tip? ...for which services

Do the club cleaning guys make a good wage or are they reliant on tips for their pay?

If they are getting a good wage, it's part of their job description. Especially if you are paying top dollar to play or are a member at a fancy club. I never did follow the "well, he's a cheap skate if he's not tipping" or "they are loaded, they can afford to tip well". What does one thing have to do with another? Now if I was playing the club for free all the time, that's a different ball game altogether in my eyes.

Out side staff at golf course work for tips and part of their take home.

The argument against what you are saying is that the server may not be solely responsible for the poor service. If the food is cold, perhaps they weren't notified in a timely manner. Or they have too many tables because the restaurant owner can't be bothered to hire enough staff, etc. The only one in the place working for such a low wage is the serving staff (I think).

I don't necessarily disagree with what you are saying (or JB for that matter) but have a slightly different outlook on it.

The other side of the coin is how closely do you inspect your newly cleaned clubs? Do you look at every one and make sure it's to your satisfaction before tipping the cleaning lad? Or do you just give the tip, and then curse when you get home because he or she didn't do a good job if that happens to be the case? Or what about the curmudgeon guy who wants every speck of dirt cleaned off their club and then tips the lad a whopping 25 cents for a job well done? That's much more insulting in my eyes, then no tip at all.
The wage the restaurant staff gets payed depends on the tip % that each person gets. For example, I get significantly less of a cut than a server, so I get more hourly wage than they do.

In the kitchens that I have ate at or worked in, if you are a server, your name gets called or you are buzzed on your hip via buzzer/pager when the food is up. If you have 6+ tables of 4 and no heat lamp to keep the food warm when it's up then it would be hard to get all food out hot, but it can and should be done everytime if you are going to recieve extra money for a good service.

As for club cleaning, it doesn't take very long to pull up a handful of irons and be like "ok good job, thanks" which is what happens pretty much every time with people's clubs that get cleaned who don't have club storage. You can place a pretty good judgement on how long it takes for your clubs to be cleaned too. If you think "wow that was really fast" they probably aren't too clean. Lots of times at other clubs they just give your irons and wedges a quick whipe with a rag, I'd still give the kid a dollar or something, but if they're still dirty you don't have to tip at all.

The only people who get seriously mad or upset about not being tipped are poor workers. Yes, there are cheapskates out there who run up a 100 dollar tab and dont give you a dime after you cater to them flawlessly, but anyone who knows how to give great service can make up for it with the same service they give in no time. It all gets back to you eventually. It's a part of busniness that will always be there as long as money stays valuable.

I wasn't so much arguing with you or anyone, just sharing my opinion and experience on both sides of the matter.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

$5-$10 for club cleaning per bag, more if it's a nicer place/better service.

Is it bad that my home course doesn't offer any services that one would tip for? Haha yikes

I usually give the kid that cleans my clubs $10... And I'll tip $1-$2 per drink

There's a lot of industries, services and professions where tipping is not expected. So who makes that determination? The determination seems to be that we should tip someone wiping our golf clubs. I can think of a few much more important service industry positions and professions that tipping isn't expected.

Tipping Caddies here is pretty much mandatory, normally 300 - 500 Thai baht depending on the course. When you get a good one they are worth their weight in gold, when you get a bad its is an additional expense you do not really want.

I live in Indonesia, so tipping in here is expected, perhaps tipping is required. This is how much I tip : Caddie girls normally get 20 bucks for accompany me playing 18 holes. Locker guys get 2 bucks for cleaning my shoes. Starter don't get tip at all. Bag boys get 1 bucks for bringing my bag into my car. Waiter or waitress get another extra 10 percent from total restaurant bills. However, playing golf in here is awesome, 5 stars ratings :clap:

I live in Indonesia, so tipping in here is expected and can be quite expensive for Indonesian standards. This is how much I tip : Caddie girls normally get 20 bucks for accompany me playing 18 holes. Locker guys get 2 bucks for cleaning my shoes. Starter don't get tip at all. Bag boys get 1 bucks for bringing my bag into my car. Waiter or waitress get another extra 10 percent from total restaurant bills. However, playing golf in here is awesome, 5 stars ratings :clap.png:

Where in Indonesia? I played a couple of courses in Jakarta and also Balikpapan when I was working over there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where in Indonesia? I played a couple of courses in Jakarta and also Balikpapan when I was working over there. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Royale Jakarta Golf Course, Pondok Indah Golf Course.There are many more.

Royale Jakarta Golf Course, Pondok Indah Golf Course.There are many more.

I've played PIG and Senayan whilst I was there. I wanted to get on the ones at Halim but couldn't get a tee time.

I struggle with this a little bit and ran into it at almost every course in Palm Springs.
1) I carry my clubs from the car to the pro-shop and then a guy takes my bag off my shoulder and starts to mount clubs onto a cart. This isn't a service that I want, need, or appreciate so I always tell them "no thank you" very politely.
2) After the round a guy tries to clean my clubs and dismount my bag from the cart. Again, no thank you. I've never had them cleaned properly and I'm OCD so I would never be satisfied anyways.

Does the above make me a cheap bastard? I have no problem tipping for services rendered - when the service is something I actually want done.

I'm the same way. I don't use the bag drop, I clean as I go, I will unload the cart on my own, and I'll return the cart to the designated area. All things I can do myself. Does that make me cheap, probably, but I hate, absolutely hate, paying for a service that I have no problem doing on my own.

My clubs are clean after I hit the shot or before the next.
I guess I'm the cheap skate that doesn't want clean clubs cleaned then expect to tip.
If by chance my clubs are dirty and the kid cleans them he gets a couple bucks.

Like Bigcountry I also cleaned clubs and basically got the same tips as he did but that was a long time ago from '85-90 at a private cc.

So today, I pulled up in my cart behind the other two guys in my group. Got out of the cart. Stood there within earshot and sight of three outside service guys, shooting the breeze. Stood there for about a minute. Grabbed my bag, walked up the hill to the parking lot. I pass the guys, at which point they ask if I want my clubs cleaned.
I refused.
This bothered me. I would have tipped for me and my cart mate, but they lost out.
I usually tip $1 min per drink, $5 for cleaning clubs.
At my home club, there is a no tipping policy which makes life easier.

I tip the club washer guy/girls and cart girl ...

I believe you can never go wrong doing something good/kind for someone.

Was not that long ago I was that young guy hustling for an extra buck and happy to get it. If you actually talk to some of those guys/girls they are pretty good young men and ladies ...

Plus I believe in good karma and paying things forward.

I usually give the kid that cleans my clubs $10... And I'll tip $1-$2 per drink

Gulp, not to be cheap but I play 3-4 times per week. Using your example, I would be paying between $1,500-$2,000 for someone to wipe down my clubs every year.

I am usually a higher tipper at most things. And there are occupations that depend on tips imo. Heck, I even tip at all-inclusive resorts when I vacation. For example workers in Mexico make peanuts and regardless of the (everything is included idea) I figure if one can spend thousands of dollars vacationing than what is a couple hundred extra to give throughout the week to those who really appreciate it, work very hard, and really need it. I don't have a lot of money at all and live pay to pay with very little savings for the rainy day and still I tip. I guess mainly because I can feel what it means to be without after working hard. I know some building doormen and parking attendants as well in several buildings in Manhattan near my job who park cars every day for millionaires and billionaires and also (in the case of doormen) carry packages and assist with just about everything for the tenants on a daily basis and its amazing how most all of them will say the very same thing. Its the people with the most money who tip the least if at all and yet its those who don't have much who end tipping the most. I think not all but many people of higher wealth often lose touch with reality but I guess that can be a whole other topic for another time and place.

As for the topic at hand, I don't like the whole loading clubs, cleaning clubs thing. It has nothing to do about being cheap. Its just not something I ask for nor feel I need or want. The rare occasion I have been to a private CC I actually find it a pain in the butt. I just want to take care of my own stuff my own way. I feel the same way about valet parking when I go to a high end restaurant or a wedding reception hall or whatever. It has nothing to do with being cheap. I just want to park my car, keep my keys and go to my car when I am ready. Many times there is no choice and I tip well even when it has to happen. But I just hate the fact that it happens in the first place. Its not that I am cheap. As mentioned I tend to tip generously but I just want to take care of myself my own way. I find the whole thing an inconvenience and something I didn't ask for nor want. Having tip on top of it all for something you don't want, didn't need, nor ask for just further adds to the displeasure of the whole thing. And this is coming from one (me) who is normally a generous tipper.

I live in a town where tipping is normal. Did you know that when you get a drink from the cocktail waitress, it's free and a tip is not necessary? But we tip them because it's the service. Bartenders get tips, but their job is to make drinks.

Tips are given for a service above and beyond the job description. If you like the service you should give a tip. In any job description it doesn't say you work for tips. If you do, then you're a street performer.

I tip at the golf course when needed.

I am glad the course I play at I just walk up pay get the cart and go. Then I finish load my clubs return the cart and go home. In looking at the tipping industry for things like this should I get tipped for taking x-rays or performing an MRI? This is a service industry, but expecting a tip would be seen as an insult. I am not saying I deserve a tip I'm just not a fan of tipping for every little thing that is part of someones job.

If I have cash on me and someone cleans my clubs its a $5 tip. However there have been a few times where it was a new course and I didnt expect it so I didnt have cash on me. I dont carry cash unless I think I will need it so sometimes tips are left out not because Im cheap or an ahole but dont have the means to give one.

I or someone in the group will tip
$5 for the clubs, the entire groups. $1 if I get a beverage on the course. $20-$50 for caddie tip, not his fee but tip. 20% at the bar or restaurant.

Gulp, not to be cheap but I play 3-4 times per week. Using your example, I would be paying between $1,500-$2,000 for someone to wipe down my clubs every year.

I get that and can be expensive, but I was a bartender for 11years so I'm a little generous because I've been on the other end if I'm dropping $70-$100 to play golf I better not be complaining about tipping IMO.

I live in a town where tipping is normal. Did you know that when you get a drink from the cocktail waitress, it's free and a tip is not necessary? But we tip them because it's the service. Bartenders get tips, but their job is to make drinks.

Tips are given for a service above and beyond the job description. If you like the service you should give a tip. In any job description it doesn't say you work for tips. If you do, then you're a street performer.

I tip at the golf course when needed.

How is a waitress bringing you a drink you ordered above and beyond their job description?

Do you still tip the club cleaner guy well $$$$$/$10/$20... or a little less $, $$ if you don't like him?

Perhaps he's a Jerk, perhaps he says stupid remarks, perhaps he's eyeing your hot girl with glee in a disrespectful manner, or any other not so nice gestures...How do you handle this?

Likewise perhaps the club cleaner guy is a nice enterprising fellow, their ready, "Hello Mr .... how was your round today"... talking professionally and upbeat.

NB: On another issue I always pull over after 18 away from the green to organize my gear, put things away. I have lost too much stuff (cell phones, cameras etc) being left in carts by being rushed by bag cleaner guys quickly cleaning my clubs, unloading my bag sometimes with all the zips still open, in order to get to their next customer.

I worked at a golf course in the early 2000s during college. I caddied and did valet. I made great money when I caddied. Typically I double bagged (carried two bags) most of the time and my tip was based on my skill. How to read greens, yard ages, club selection, etc. Typically the better the golfer, the more they wanted to know and the more tip I received. I always tip at a course where they use cart boys etc. Mainly because I was one of those guys at one point. I clean my own clubs after every round cause I'm anal but I tip the guy who wiped them down at the end. But the tip is based on the service. If a guy doesn't even ask me to wipe them down or unload the cart, I don't tip.

Back