The 2015-16 College football thread (SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I might be in the minority but I dont like that, I like for the regular season games to have meaning :)

The FCS playoff has 24 teams, and I think they only play one less game during the season. If that's considered "too much" you could go with a 10 or 12 team format (all 10 FBS Conference winners and possibly two add-in's) and have every FBS conference champ play for the title. There are so many ways to do it ... yet they won't. I think they love the controversy.

I agree, I think 6 teams is the answer though. The 4 big conference champs are in period. Then 2 at large teams. Top 2 seeds get a bye.

But there are 5 big conferences.
ACC
SEC
Pac 10
Big 10
Big 12

Darn it, but you know I am a hillbilly and cant count.

How about 5 champs and 1 at large?

Or four 16 team super conferences would work as well

But there are 5 big conferences.
ACC
SEC
Pac 10
Big 10
Big 12

How could UNC leap frog OSU. OSU had a harder schedule, lost to a strong team and did so in a close and dramatic fashion. UNC played absolutely nobody, and jumps them for a single quality win?

I can understand the argument if someone bleeds baby blue, since the game was so early in the year and we see that argument all of the time from CF fans of their favorite team, but the ole OSU plays nobody schedule is just not the case this year.

I'm not making the argument that they should necessarily, but the argument can be made that UNC's biggest win (Clemson) would be much better than OSU's (Mich), as well as the same argument that was made for OSU last year like you referenced, they lost the first week.

I think the whole argument is moot, I don't think they win this weekend, but it will be an interesting choice if UNC does win.

Personally, I'd still like to see the XII die and end up with 4 superconferences

Personally, I'd still like to see the XII die and end up with 4 superconferences
So would I, but I don't see it happening. I just wish the Big XII IX XII would go back to its name and get the conference championship again.

Play Jimmie Austin, hit campus corner, take in a fun game? Yes.

First time I ever played Jimmie Austin was from the tips... that was 7,400 yards of not much fun. 625 yard par 5s and 280 par 3s are rough.

After Sparty beats Iowa, Iowa will have one loss to the same opponent as OSU.

Of course these are just the thoughts of an old hillbilly :)

You better watch your mouth you old hillbilly!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

This is why I have said the simplest action is to take the major conferences, take the winner of said conferences each year and choose the best four schools for the playoff. It would not be hard to figure out those best 4 schools, SOS would be out the window and so would margin of victory.

The complaint that "my conference has better teams" is fruitless in that the easy answer is "win it then".

The simplest action would be to expand the field to sixteen and eliminate the most of the bickering over who gets the last spot. When you get to arguing 16/17 the only people who really care are the talking heads and nos. 16 & 17.

i'm with sposey on this one. as much as i love march madness, i would hate to see something like that for football. it's too easy for a team that isn't "the best" to win a title.

You win four straight weeks against four of the best teams in the country you got a pretty rock solid argument for calling yourself the best.

The simplest action would be to expand the field to sixteen and eliminate the most of the bickering over who gets the last spot. When you get to arguing 16/17 the only people who really care are the talking heads and nos. 16 & 17.
Not sure adding 2 more games potentially goes over well

Not sure adding 2 more games potentially goes over well

It may not go over well with the P5, but I'm guessing that strong teams outside the P5 would certainly like to jump in the mix.

The last thing the P5 want is another Boise State coming in and wrecking their dog and pony show.

Sounds good to me, Pac whatever, South Whatever, Atlantic Coast whatever and Midwest/Big whatever!!!

Evidently Michael Thomas (OSU) doesnt care for Bama's strength of schedule

12241331_1033537116666738_6891243118979135540_n.jpg

Exactly how I feel... Bama wins the beauty pageant, but no way are they ahead of 1 loss OU and MSU... and honestly... if Iowa loses this weekend, I think their body of work is better... thus will never happen... Bama gonna Bama. If Bama wins by a narrow margin "oh, that other team is underrated and has just had a bad season"...

Any other team, "They should have won by at least 20... what an overrated team in an overrated conference"

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

The 2015-16 College football thread (SPOILERS)

Do do we count end of year ranking or rankings at the time of match up?

LSU was #2 before losing to Bama, weren't they?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yeah they were, no idea if its current rankings or what or if its just wrong

IMO it should always be where a team was when the game was played.

This is how the committee looks at it. IMO, the correct way to do it.

Should it though? How many SEC teams are ranked inside the top 10 pre-season and wind up unranked with 4-5 losses at the end of the season (a la USCe last year)? So playing them week 1 and losing to them means you get the benefit of losing to a top 10 team when they turn out to be really bad?

Hard to take into account where team was ranked at the time of the game, especially when the team nose dives thereafter.

There were eight -- EIGHT -- SEC teams ranked in the preseason. It's incredibly difficult for me to give credit for beating a "ranked" team, especially early, when the early rankings are so incorrect.

(Not trying to rub salt in a wound, but Auburn is a perfect example this year.)

Should it though? How many SEC teams are ranked inside the top 10 pre-season and wind up unranked with 4-5 losses at the end of the season (a la USCe last year)? So playing them week 1 and losing to them means you get the benefit of losing to a top 10 team when they turn out to be really bad?

Yes, it should, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back