Customize a Putter

Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
It sounds kind of simple, but knowing there are companies out there who offer pretty much whatever you want, I realized it was actually quite hard to decide EXACTLY what I want on a putter.. that includes shape, finish, insert, milling, and stamping/engraving.

What would you pick? Would you make it a one-off or would you be subtle in case you need to re-sell?

- Shape
- Finish
- Insert?
- Milling
- Engraving
- Design
- Paintfill
- Shaft colour?
- weights?

Last edited:
If I could do any putter, it'd be similar to what I have now with some extra flair.

#9 HT Odyssey shape.
Sight line on top line and flange.
Bronze pvd finish.
White Damascus insert.
Weight ports in sole.
White shaft.
Taranto's incredibl artwork of my logo on the sole, that is painted green and white.
Can't think of much else...

I would LOVE to design a welded flow neck with 1/2 offset. Would probably make it to be about 355-360g, and it would absolutely be a one off.

- Material : either GSS or a soft carbon steel.
- Siteline : Single line on top, dual lines on the flange.
- Shape : wide body blade. Similar to the Piretti Cottonwood II

- Finish : Either smoke diamond or something with a tinge of blue
- Insert? : technically none. but would have the center of the face grooved, with milling around it.
- Milling : wide arc shallow milling on everything but the center
- Engraving : simple engraving on the bottom. Probably just the company name, and then something like "CB 1 of 1"
- Design : Nothing on the bottom but the engraving, and maybe company logo of who is doing it for me on the back
- Paintfill : red white and blue scheme on a smoke diamond finish or red and white on the blue finish.

Anser shape with a high toe. 350g. Stainless steel. Either deep milling or none at all. Single dot on the top line. Plumbers neck. Flange depth is questionable. I don't know how to describe it, but 1" sounds good.

I would like some sort of finish. Not pvd, not raw either.

That's pretty close for me

For me it's simple a Superstroke DCF-4 in baby champagne just stamp a 47 on it and stick in a black shaft.

My Lajosi is what I came up with when I went custom. Simple, maintenance free Satin Pearl finish, wide body flow neck.

If I did it again I would get it around 350-355g instead of the 365+ it sits at.
22342b0047be20312be5e100b75e1517.jpg

1810c8e1f33006a33cbb50a7b5e20efa.jpg

Anser shape with a slightly raised toe, with a half-shaft offset plumbers neck hosel. It would have a very dark grey matte finish, with a glossy sole, and a white alignment stripe on the top line. The flange would be just a bit wider than an Odyssey #1 size, certainly not as wide as their 1W. Deep milling in a pattern similar to the Metal-X Milled design, orange and white paint fill. The sole would have the outline of a Knight chess piece, but offset so only about 3/4 of the piece actually shows with the rest of the outline sort of running off the edges of the sole. I think I'd run it around 360 grams or so, as I tend to prefer a heavier feel.

I'd also go with the stepless plain steel shaft, and a SuperStroke Flatso Ultra 1.1 grip.

Last edited:
I'd love to design a flow neck Odyssey #7.

Finish: Oil Can
Material: Carbon Steel
Sight Line: Just like Odyssey has. One on the top flange, 2 on the wings.
Insert: Tei3
Engraving: Just my initials (CDW)
Paintfill: My favorite colors, Orange and Teal
Weight: 380-390g

oh this is a fun experiment.

throwing all the copyrights issues out the window on this one.

I want a Seemore trisole m2c shape
I want it made of damascus steel
Spoiler
102_1355.jpg

I want a copper insert
I want Bettinardi's honeycomb milling
I want my RST
I want a single sight line on top
I want Cleveland's 2135 sight line on the flange
I want a THP SS 1.0 grip on it

No engraving, no paintfill

What a great idea to dream a bit on!

Center Shafted Mid Mallet
Black Matte Finish
Medium Milled Face, cross pattern
My kids names on the sole or heel, done by Taranto of course!
All red painful
Single sightline on the top
Black Shaft
Weights on the sole, Toe/Heel

Easy.

DSC_0625_zpsroze37sm.jpg

DSC_0626_zpsqevivoqz.jpg

DSC_0624_zps6puxuery.jpg

DSC_0623_zps2evvxipl.jpg

Solid copper, stainless flow neck with no offset, 360ish grams, deep mill, all edges melted, custom siteline setup I adore, and a quote/commemoration for my little girl.

I've had I believe 12 custom putters done for me over the years. Its a lot of fun, and really not something to get gun-shy about when it comes to choices. Go with what you know you like, talk to the putter maker as they will communicate with you the whole way (most will at least) and most will even do things they have never done before for you if you have a wild idea.

Center shaft with no hosel design , carbon steel 330 gram head, rounded (banana shape) sole, clean top with no alignment dot or line.

Probably a SeeMore FGP mallet in it's normal black but with all red color fill in. No insert with the normal straight shaft, but all black instead of just the bottom portion. My current FGP is 355 grams and I think I'd like it a little heavier than 355. No weights and I'm good with the stock milling. I'd put the Super Stroke SS2R grip on it, but I wish it was black and red instead of white and red. I can't stand the white on Super Stroke grips and they get dingy yellow pretty quick and stay that way.

I also really dislike the font/engraving that SeeMore uses on their putters. It's very "cheap" or boring looking. If I had a choice I would have my own custom engraving on the bottom of my initials with some detail around it and/or images. I'm just not sure what and would have to take some time coming up with a design.

I've put a lot of thought into getting one done from Lajosi. It would be either his DD-201 or his AD202

IMG_1937-Large-300x225.jpg

ad202-3section-e1351658319470-204x157.jpg

From there, I'd go with a copper insert, and probably limited face milling, although if I could have the perfect face milling, I'd go for some very light milling that blends well with the edges... Certainly more for aesthetics than feel/sound. It'd probably look like this:

$_1.JPG

From there, I'd rock a rounded edge plumbers neck welded on for looks (because that's awesome, obviously!).
More than likely I'd rock the sight line on the flange.
I'm so torn on finish. I love some of the gunmetal finishes, and some torched colour, but I also really enjoy smoke diamond or even that stock simple stainless finish with a bit of satin.

To the engravings, that's where I am really lost. I'd love something that represents my family and where I came from, but I don't think I can focus purely on one theme. In the end I'd probably just ask from something unique like a checkerboard or something that crosses between the face and the sole.

Wide blade with an off center shaft. Finish wise, I'm a fan of the finishes that give the illusion of multiple colors. Don't know what they're called, but similar to the finish on my SS12, but hopefully a little darker. I'd probably go milled over insert, though milling type/pattern would depend on what's available. Black Chrome shaft with a darker mid/oversized grip, maybe blue to match the paintfill. Weight-wise, 350G seems to be about the sweet spot. As far as engraving/design, I'm actually a less is more person. A minimalist logo and a small personalized engraving would be enough for me.

I suppose we're talking pure fantasy here, so I'll go with an Anser head, face balanced, plumbers neck, whatever length my putter is now, with weight on the heavy side, with three sight lines - center and ball diameter.

Now the fun part. The head will be made of pure Platinum, with a stainless steel face insert, with my Chinese name-seal on the center. It'll be scoured like the modern putters. The grip will be made of leather, so will the Headcover. I've seen gold and jade putters.

The problem is, this won't last 10 minutes at the airport. Or even at the bag drop. The owner of the jade putter always brings her bag from the game straight to her car.

sq2-2.jpg

The Squareback #2 I will own one at some point. I really adore this head shape.

That's awesome Ron!

579223_727849558569_277453223_n.jpg

401324_727849169349_474309456_n.jpg

28167_727848186319_251719678_n.jpg

Wouldn't change a thing I dont think. She is going to be going in for a refinish here shortly
This one is a beauty in person. I may or may not have lost $$ while carpet putting it hehe.

sq2-2.jpg

The Squareback #2 I will own one at some point. I really adore this head shape.

My first putter was a Fastback 2.5... I should have never gotten rid of it

Back