Mack Daddy 4 wedges....which grind for me?

fufu

Reaction score
Handicap
I’m currently playing Maltby M-Series wedges in 50-54-58. I’m looking to upgrade. I’ve had these wedges for 15 months and they have lost their zip. I’m sold on the Mack Daddy 4s but can’t figure out which grind I should have. To be honest, ive never fully understood all the differences.

Im a 6 cap with a decent short game. My chipping is average. I play a variety of courses, that offer a variety of conditions. One thing I rarely see is very soft conditions. Sand varies from medium firm to fluffy. Never extremely firm. I’m not a picker or a digger. My divots are 3-4” long and fairly shallow.

Tour 50/4* of bounce.
- I like this club. Full shots are fine. 90% of my chips with this one are bump/runs...or square face pitch and runs.

Tour 54/10* of bounce.
- No issues with full shots. Great from bunkers. Great from rough. My only problem is trying to open it up a little from tight lies. I definitely have a hard time with sliding it under to increase loft with this one.

Mid 58/8* of bounce.
- All around good club. I don’t hit full shots with this one. Mainly chips and pitches.

I play my wedges around D5 and 2* flat. Can i order those from Callaway? What grind/bounce options to you recommend for me?

link to my current wedges:
https://www.golfworks.com/maltby-m-series-wedges/p/ma0257/

I am not expert. But the 50,54 in the S standard grind. And maybe a W for the 58 would be a good choice. That is the set up I have going on

Sent from my H3123 using Tapatalk

Given your thorough summary, I would give the following recommendations:

50: S

54: C or X (in the raw finish) if you like opening up the face a lot. S could work here too.

58: S

W is not as versatile in the 54 spot and is about 50% more bounce than your current 58, which might cause issues and therefore I don't feel is a good recommendation without trying it.

Personally I’d go for a W for the lowest loft as this will almost always be used square.

The middle I’d go an S or a W if this is to be your regular SW.

The lob I’d go an X or a C which can then be opened if necessary.

Sounds a lot like my game, although I play in some really soft conditions for part of the year.

I'm also more or less a sweeper, at least with partial shots.

I've got the S grinds in my gap wedge and sand wedge, and the C in my lob wedge.

I would use the Vokey online fitting tool and find the MD4 that most closely match its recommendations.

So I just watched this video:

https://youtu.be/XBIDcI_s_Ws

I think with my 50 the S grind is fine. The 54/58 need to have some heel relief to allow me to open the face as that is my preferred method of playing higher shots.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would use the Vokey online fitting tool and find the MD4 that most closely match its recommendations.

Based on that fitting tool. It came out to:

50-S
54-S
58-C

Which Is about what I figured. Only one I question is the 54 to a C grind to help with hitting open face shots

You need and X or a C in the 58 if you like opening it up.

The X is more forgiving generally than the C. The C is an easier club to properly lob with an open face. The X will be better than the C for all but the hardest bunkers.

Based on that fitting tool. It came out to:

50-S
54-S
58-C

Which Is about what I figured. Only one I question is the 54 to a C grind to help with hitting open face shots

Look at the Cally S grind and see how much heel relief it has. It may have enough to allow you to open the face.

Pulled the trigger today.

50-S
54-S
58-W

Back