Brand New Putter Grip is Crooked

campilobaxter

Mustachioed Root Vegetable
Reaction score
Handicap
I went to PGASS yesterday to get the new Odyssey 7S I won from THP (thanks again!) re-gripped and shortened a bit. I've been using a SuperStroke Fatso 5.0 on my other putter, so I decided to try the similar offering from Winn - WinnPro X 1.60.

5fe4f27657444719fc45ccf81e4df289.jpg
winnprox-1_32-putter-red-gray_grande.jpg

Everything looked great, until I got it home and rolled a few putts. With a neutral/square grip, the putter face is 2-3 degrees open. :angry: Very distracting, not to mention detrimental to my putting. It actually looks like the grip is twisted, as half of it might be on line, but the other half not.

I guess I just need to take it back to PGASS and have them re-do it? Can't think of any way to fix it myself (I'm not a club maker, I don't have solvent or grip tape at home).

This is exactly why my OCD doesn't let other people put grips on for me. Especially with putter grips, I want to make sure it looks and feels just right in my hands.

It's really not hard to do, and if you're a golf junkie it's well worth the time to learn.

You can easily fix it at home with some mineral spirits, a syringe type apparatus and 15 minutes on youtube. But honestly, I would just take it back and have them redo it.

This is exactly why my OCD doesn't let other people put grips on for me. Especially with putter grips, I want to make sure it looks and feels just right in my hands.

It's really not hard to do, and if you're a golf junkie it's well worth the time to learn.

I guess I'll need to do that. But for now, I don't want to tear off this grip and pay for a new one. This is a reasonable thing to make PGASS fix, right?

I guess I'll need to do that. But for now, I don't want to tear off this grip and pay for a new one. This is a reasonable thing to make PGASS fix, right?

Absolutely.

How long did you wait to use it after you had it done? I think that I would take it back and have them fix it.

I don't want to tear off this grip and pay for a new one.

The grip will not have to be tore off. it may very well be that PGASS does that, but it can be fixed easily without having to tear it off. Hopefully they don't give you a hard time and say that you "tested it" prematurely before the solvent dried.

How long did you wait to use it after you had it done? I think that I would take it back and have them fix it.

About 2 hours. Just had it re-gripped last night. I tried to twist it back a bit myself, but had no luck.

The grip will not have to be tore off. it may very well be that PGASS does that, but it can be fixed easily without having to tear it off. Hopefully they don't give you a hard time and say that you "tested it" prematurely before the solvent dried.

Yeah, I think I'm set there. It went straight to the car, then I went to dinner and didn't pick it up for about 2 hours. I guess the car ride might have influenced it (?), but I'm not sure how I could have prevented that.

Yeah, take it back and have them give you a brand new grip put on correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yeah, I think I'm set there. It went straight to the car, then I went to dinner and didn't pick it up for about 2 hours. I guess the car ride might have influenced it (?), but I'm not sure how I could have prevented that.

I've had almost my entire club set redone over time at the store about an hour from my house. Driving an hour home through the mountains and back roads has yet to move one of the grips. I'm always careful to pick them up by the shaft, of course, but they're all dead nuts still. So I doubt it was the car ride, unless you had a monster truck rally you attended?

You could have used that thing within 20-30 minutes and it have been fine unless you were trying to swing it like Jamie sadlowski haha.

Also another reason why I put my own grips on with air or my guy at the shop does with a little rubber cement type stuff. Works great and when I replace grips it’s much easier than two sided tape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Take it back to them. Sounds like they just churned it out without a care in the world whether it was properly installed or not. Like blakehall, I don't trust anybody else to mess with my grips.

Yes, and if they'd just blown it on with air, it'd take about 10 seconds to fix, check for accuracy, and send you on your way.

Nailed it. Don’t even need equipment to do it either. I just do it over the laundry sink and it works perfectly fine.

As for this situation, they should absolutely fix it for you for no charge, even if they need to cut it off and use a new one. That’s on them to make right.

Thanks everyone. I took it back and they fixed it, no questions asked and no cost. I think they actually put a new one on.

I also ordered some solution, grip tape and a club vice thingy so I can do this on my own.

Last few times I had my putter Re gripped I waited right there once it was put on and then had them hand it to me so I could sole it and square it up and makes sure the grip wasn’t twisted. Making slight alterations is easy when everything is still wet. They always tell me to go browse the store and it will be ready when I return and I just tell them I’ll wait while they do it.

Back