Personal VPN using Google Compute Engine

mr.hicksta

Golf->Tacos->Gainz
Reaction score
Have any of you have setup a personal VPN using Google Compute Engine? I’ve been reading up on it and wanted to see if anyone else has tried it before giving it a go!

What does Google charge for data in/out? I know for our projects (usually AWS) transfer costs are something we worry about because our datasets are large. That could get pricy if you’re using it consistently.

The instructor of that CISSP class was saying Google gives you a $300 credit and that it ends up being a couple bucks a month after that. He didn’t get into the configuration much, though. I’m just thinking it may be a better option than PIA or some of the other popular services.

Either way a fun experiment. Especially if you get the credit to burn through.

The instructor of that CISSP class was saying Google gives you a $300 credit and that it ends up being a couple bucks a month after that. He didn’t get into the configuration much, though. I’m just thinking it may be a better option than PIA or some of the other popular services.

Haven’t looked into it via google compute but let me know me how it works out because I’ll be setting up a vpn at my dads new place ones he buys a new house

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's everyone's reasoning behind home vpn? I use open vpn on my phone whenever I connect to a public wifi

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

What's everyone's reasoning behind home vpn? I use open vpn on my phone whenever I connect to a public wifi

It would be for use outside my home network similar to PIA or ExpressVPN while scratching the nerd itch

It would be for use outside my home network similar to PIA or ExpressVPN while scratching the nerd itch
So similar to what I'm doing with my phone, but with a PC. I was just curious. Figured you were trying to hide your golf purchasing habits from the Mrs before she rescinds the 40th club offer.

So similar to what I'm doing with my phone, but with a PC. I was just curious. Figured you were trying to hide your golf purchasing habits from the Mrs before she rescinds the 40th club offer.

Haha! Nah this is 100% curiosity, but it’s funny how it’s been tied back to my club purchases

Tagged, this seems like a very interesting thread
o.png

I have used Google cloud platform (GCP) for vpn and it works great. The egress cost with AWS is silly so stick with GCP or another provider. AWS is like hotel California......”you can check out but can never leave” In full disclosure I work for Oracle and happen to think OCI is a great fit as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a 3rd party provider.

They were so aggressive with remarketing ads that I paid $100 for 5 years of service.

Honestly, doing anything else at this point would just be a waste of money/time/energy/etc.

Back