Do you likebrutal US Open conditions?

Not a fan of this course set up at all this year.

An interesting take that would be fun to see. There is always the length debate, so keep the fairways soft and let the grass be a bit longer. To knock down distances off the tee.

it’s not my idea. it’s been bandied about for awhile. to me it’s the perfect solution to the real estate dilemma. soften and slow the fairways, but keep the greens firm and minimally receptive to put a premium on ball-striking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes but not to this magnitude. I think they baked out the greens too much. The usga should just let the superintendents at the course do what they’re paid to do. I mean, if it’s truly a top 5 or top 10 course in the world, why is the usga needing to intervene this much? I don’t mind a tough course but 3-over par leading after 56 holes!? Cmon. At what point do you realize it’s TOO difficult.

Pick a course and take it as it is. The USGA manipulates and jacks up a course into a vague semblance of itself.

I’m not a big fan of it, but everybody out there is playing the same course so I think it’s fair in that sense. Whether it plays easier/rougher during certain times of the day falls under the “rub of the green” in my opinion.

I haven't seen anything unfair yet. Great shots are rewarded. Poor and even adequate shots are being punished. You better hit some great shots on this course.

I don't like that the morning wave played a much easier course than the afternoon. But that's Golf too. It could have easily been reversed.

I've seen a ton of terrible putting today. Forget the bouncing around When the putt dies. End it 12-18" past like we're all taught to do and that's not a factor. So many missed putts. That's not on the course, that's on the golfers.

The greens were holding ok. That's the chief complaint when a course is considered unfair.I think the top of the leaderboard just played piss poor today. Anyone that played it and is whining about it just doesn't want to admit their poor play. I didn't see anything that was unfair. Sure it was set up hard as heck. Throw in all the big names putting like a 4 year old and it played a lot harder than it should have.

Sure there were a few medium range putts that got away from them. When you read that in a putt, you don't try to make it so lag it. If it goes in, great. If it doesn't, then you tap the next one in. If you go for it you better be prepared for it rolling to parts unknown. But for the most part the high scores were caused by excruciatingly poor putting.

I haven't problems watching a course challenge the pros. But when they push the course past it's breaking point to challenge them I think it's silly.

The USGA seems to do it more often than not lately.

This.....

I’m not a big fan of it, but everybody out there is playing the same course so I think it’s fair in that sense. Whether it plays easier/rougher during certain times of the day falls under the “rub of the green” in my opinion.

My problem with it is that Berger and Finau weren’t playing the same course as the last groups. I really like both players but now kinda hope they don’t win.

Imo the course changed too much. Should have been softened up more to compensate.

I think if they 'probably' water the greens tonight, groups earlier may have a chance to contend...e.g Poulter at +7. Anyone know the tee sheet times?

I find it much more fun to watch tournaments where par is a good score than the birdie fests we see at a lot of tour stops.

I am curious what the course superintendent is left with at the end of an Open; half dead greens, dreaded walkways and damage from stands trucks and what not. I would love to see what it takes to put the course back together after and event like this.

My problem with it is that Berger and Finau weren’t playing the same course as the last groups. I really like both players but now kinda hope they don’t win.

Imo the course changed too much. Should have been softened up more to compensate.

I agree and I think I stated it here. If not here somewhere else on this site. Conditions can vary widely between the morning and afternoons. That's just golf though. Early afternoon shower and the afternoon is vastly different today.

Even without that the afternoon groups played poorly. Extremely and excruciatingly poorly. The putting in particular was gosh awful.

I am curious what the course superintendent is left with at the end of an Open; half dead greens, dreaded walkways and damage from stands trucks and what not. I would love to see what it takes to put the course back together after and event like this.

I'd imagine he's heading to Disneyland just like everyone else.

Once he gets back there'll be a mess to clean up though.

I'm enjoying seeing greens that need approach putts. Maybe Approach isn't just liminted to just the fairway.

There’s no rain hardening a course and then there is clear blue sky, heat, breezy wind, on a hillside hardening a course. The latter is what happened today. There was no moisture left to keep thing soft, and when that poa grows it takes water with it making the greens hard and bumpy. The hard part about Shinnecock is that the greens are tiny. It’s tough to stick a 200 yard iron on a teeny tiny green that’s hard as a rock. There also seems to never be a possibility to run one onto the green. Every shot has to carry something. It’s like a links course with forced carries every where.

I go back and forth. I don’t like to see them struggle however it’s a level playing field and you really have to be on point with no room for error to win it. Makes it more special for the winner. A true grinder.

Other then a couple of questionable pin placements (13 and 15) I thought the course played the way the US Open is supposed to. Par is goal, plain and simple. The early / morning times seem to have the advantage more times than not, but that is the draw on the weekend. I was there on Friday and after my round today I watched the most of the afternoon. Most of the pros took the high road (not like in 2004, and for good reason). 15 was silly late but that unfortunately seems to happen to the USGA more then anyone else.

The superintendent was on the grounds crew in 2004. Fun factoid.

I want good shots rewarded and I think this course is starting to cross the line. At least it’s not Chambers Bay.

Is it good shots, or good shots to the right place? If the awesome wedge 4 feet from the pin rolls off, but you can hit it 40 feet from the pin and hold the green and 2-putt for par, is that a problem?

I like to see them struggle once or twice a year.

I missed the afternoon fun so I don't know how it played. But heading into today there were like 3 guys under par, two of them at -1. That seems in the realm of really hard but fair.

I absolutely loved how the course played in the afternoon. Great shots led to easy pars and average shots led to grinding over a bogey putt.

The only issue I have is how drastically the course changed between the morning groups and the afternoon groups. I know we just accept that at The British Open with the weather and luck of the draw, but that's not a feature I'd like to see the US Open adopt.

I haven't problems watching a course challenge the pros. But when they push the course past it's breaking point to challenge them I think it's silly.

The USGA seems to do it more often than not lately.

Exactly my thoughts. This is revenge for Erin Hills.

I don’t and what’s more I think it makes a mockery of the tournament. A major should be hard but make it fair and make it so people that are hitting the correct shot are rewarded with the chance of a birdie. I’d rather watch someone on a charge on the back 9 of a major rather than someone winning just by making fewer bogies than everyone else.

#FiberLaunch

That happens all the time though. The first groups out get pristine greens that haven't been walked on. The afternoon groups get 25-MPH wind and storms. Or vice-versa. At the British Open they call that "golf."

Back