Do you likebrutal US Open conditions?

JayB

Reaction score
Handicap
I am really enjoying watching the pros struggle around the course today. I like seeing the, frustrated. It gets old watching them throw darts for kick in birdies week after week.

The game is more relatable to how I play; struggling to hack it from the rough, chip it close and not put up doubles. Granted, they are struggling on a brutal course and I have these struggles on a 6000 yard muni with 1” rough and greens like a shag carpet.

For one or two tournaments a year, yes, I do like this.

We can resume our scheduled -15 scores finishing T-3 after this week.

I like good shots to be rewarded and bad shots to be punished no matter the score. Maybe these conditions just allow for fewer good shots or a LOT more bad shots. When that no longer holds true, I'm not in support.

I am really enjoying watching the pros struggle around the course today. I like seeing the, frustrated. It gets old watching them throw darts for kick in birdies week after week.

The game is more relatable to how I play; struggling to hack it from the rough, chip it close and not put up doubles. Granted, they are struggling on a brutal course and I have these struggles on a 6000 yard muni with 1” rough and greens like a shag carpet.

They have to change their mindset. They need to be happy with a par and perhaps even content with a bogey. Those who do will remain in the hunt. Those who refuse to adjust because they believe the course "shouldn't be that hard" or they're too good to have to play like that will be the ones who pay the price.

Same. Let them suffer. They're Trying to save par most holes with the same putt I'm usually trying to save par. Give them a course that makes par a great score. Golf should be hard for everyone at some point. I like seeing someone race for a -30. But once in a while if Par has a chance to win, fantastic. On off rounds I'm trying to save par from 20ft. I like to see the same from the pros once in a while. Huge difference in courses but 20ft for par is the same no matter the course.

Everyone is plus par right now. The course has done its job.

It is definitely interesting. These are supposed to be the best, and they are struggling. It is making them think and change up their game a bit. Some of it is extreme, I don't think a ball should roll 25 yards off a green, but it is equal for all. The cream will rise to the top.

I love this type of golf. You can tell which Pros are able to accept bogies and which aren't.

I hate the usga and I hate what they do to this championship. I don’t like watching people struggle and it’s not at all relatable to my game.

This is the US Open. The toughest test in golf, and I think this course is playing great for this week.

I haven't problems watching a course challenge the pros. But when they push the course past it's breaking point to challenge them I think it's silly.

The USGA seems to do it more often than not lately.

Pick a course, trick it up a bit, get a winning score between -5 and -10. How hard can it be to do that?!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Let me ask you this, if you payed $80 bucks and the greens looked like this and were bumpy how happy would you be?

Why do we let the USGA do that to our showcase?

Let me ask you this, if you payed $80 bucks and the greens looked like this and were bumpy how happy would you be?

If it was at Shinnecock, I'd be ok.
That said when the greens at the Ocean Course and Hammock were awful, I wasn't thrilled.

That said when the greens at the Ocean Course and Hammock were awful, I wasn't thrilled.
Why should Shinnecock have subpar conditions?

This has nothing to do with Shinnecock, it's the USGAs mismanagement of the course.

I said this same thing the Chambers year. I'd have been OK with it because it was Chambers, same for Shinnecock.

the only thing i don’t like is a course that takes away options. i don’t like a course that gives you one shot shape or one landing area, and if you miss that you’re f’ed. i love watching guys get creative.

other than that, i don’t mind watching them struggle. and fwiw, i don’t think a par 70 7,600 yard course is necessary to make these struggle. water the fairways and let them grow longer so we don’t see 50+ yards of roll, but maintain firm and fast greens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wrong thread

sign me up

Why should Shinnecock have subpar conditions?

This has nothing to do with Shinnecock, it's the USGAs mismanagement of the course.

I think there is a difference between looking bad and playing bad. At this point I think these are more looking bad.

I think there is a difference between looking bad and playing bad. At this point I think these are more looking bad.
They look awful bumpy to me, lots of movement as the ball slows, I think that's part of why no balls are dying in the hole.

I want good shots rewarded and I think this course is starting to cross the line. At least it’s not Chambers Bay.

This is the US Open. The toughest test in golf, and I think this course is playing great for this week.

I agree 100 percent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

water the fairways and let them grow longer so we don’t see 50+ yards of roll, but maintain firm and fast greens.

An interesting take that would be fun to see. There is always the length debate, so keep the fairways soft and let the grass be a bit longer. To knock down distances off the tee.

I’m ok with it being hard, but fair. The 15th hole starting to cross the line.

It’s amazing how once a year, the USGA manages to take a great course and make it barely playable.

Back