How Much Range Time After Long Layoff?

VegasMav

Cigar Posse Member
Reaction score
Handicap
Cigars
Haven't swung a club in over 4 weeks. Mind you I generally play once a week. How much range time do you put in before your tee time? I got to the course an hour ahead and practiced chipping, putting and about 15 mins on the range. I needed to shake some rust off.

How about you?

I'd want to hit a medium/large bucket the day before.
The day of, maybe 10-15 balls maximum. The day of, I go with the 'less is more' approach, but a minimum of 5-6 full swing shots.

I'd need to hit at least 100 balls, but I have a lot of timing in my swing

I'm in the same boat. I need to get a decent range session in within the days before my next tee time.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

About an hour the day before, just to groove my swing, not to work on anything new.

I like to do 20 mins range, 40 mins chipping and putting. Too much range and I wear myself out a bit. I'm bad at pacing myself.

I try to take an hour or so, for me it's more about finding my tempo than my swing.

I like to hit 30-60 balls before I tee off wether it's been 6 months or a week off.

Normally don't have a down time playing 2-3 times a week and hitting balls on the range days I don't play, but sometimes the weather gets a little harsh for golf even down here. After a month of rain and ice last winter I spent about a week on the range getting everything back where it should be.

About an hour.

20-30 mins on the range (depending upon my ball striking)

10 min chipping

The remainder of the time putting, mainly to get the speed of the greens.

I have not played in 5 weeks because winter arrived, but it is going to be 65 degrees this afternoon and I'm playing. No range time needed. Just play.

I do the same in the spring. I can miss 3 or 5 months with winter, and then just go play the first day it is fit.

I hit 5-7 balls per club starting with a wedge and then going every other club in the bag til I reach driver. Usually takes around 30 mins or so.

First time in over a year and a half that I've gone this long without playing. I didn't have a bad round but I wished I had at least the day before to hit the range.

I haven't hit a ball since Bridgestone championship, so I may be quite rusty. I would say around 100 balls to get into the rhythm again

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Normal pre-round for me is an hour. Chipping, putting, stretching, getting ready for the round, eating, etc.

I wouldn't do any more than that after a bit of a layoff. For me, I have a routine, and I try to stick with it. No matter if I golfed the day before, or 3 months ago.

Normal pre-round for me is an hour. Chipping, putting, stretching, getting ready for the round, eating, etc.

I wouldn't do any more than that after a bit of a layoff. For me, I have a routine, and I try to stick with it. No matter if I golfed the day before, or 3 months ago.

Golfing weekly before the month long layoff, I had routine too, but felt I needed more time to get back into rhythm. I generally have about 10 mins of range time and 5 minutes putting prior to the first tee.

If I have time I'll hit a half a bucket hitting my: driver, 5w, 5i, 8i, and 52*. Just hit about 5 or 6 balls apiece and get in a groove with each length of club. If it's been months and months I'll go out and play and see what needs the most work and just be glad to be back on the course.

Last edited:
Just like my normal range time, just hit a bucket and then practice some chipping

Back