Putting strategy question

Dave G

Reaction score
Handicap
28.2 USGA
Thankfully this doesn't happen often but I play this one hole... When it's dry the thing has a slope to it that always causes the ball to roll off no matter where you land. With normal or wet you can get a ball to stick on the lower 1/6th (think a slice of pie). When I miss and put it on the high side fridge or it does manage to sitck above the hole, a light tap from 20' out often sends it past the hole and sometimes past the fringe if dry enough. So a light tap from 8' is either going in or you're looking at a 3-4 putt.

My question. Would you do a layup lateral putt to a safe spot for a two putt or risk the three?

Seems like an extreme green. If anything is going to roll off, I’m playing it long and trying to cozy up a putt

Obviously not knowing the shape of the green or surrounding hazards, but from your explanation it sounds like an extreme slope from back to front. So i'm missing to the left or right on the fringe and trying to chip or putt across the slope rather than down the slope.

Thankfully this doesn't happen often but I play this one hole... When it's dry the thing has a slope to it that always causes the ball to roll off no matter where you land. With normal or wet you can get a ball to stick on the lower 1/6th (think a slice of pie). When I miss and put it on the high side fridge or it does manage to sitck above the hole, a light tap from 20' out often sends it past the hole and sometimes past the fringe if dry enough. So a light tap from 8' is either going in or you're looking at a 3-4 putt.

My question. Would you do a layup lateral putt to a safe spot for a two putt or risk the three?

If I know the conditions of the green make it not smart to hit it in certain places, I'm not going to try to hit it in those places.

I'd absolutely try to put it in the spot that gave me a good chance for 2-putt, take my par and walk away happy.

Unless you can practice a ton and find the perfect speed for the condition, I say you can lay up. There's nothing wrong with any type of lag put, especially on those types of greens. A course I was playing quite a bit in south Texas had a similar situation. You had to get really creative with where you hit the ball.

often times I would try to land the ball a yard or two short of the green and hopefully get it to trickle up to the edge of the fringe. Then I would have to hit the putt just right to set up for a closer attempt.

Yeah, of the five courses that I play locally this is the most extreme green.

Thanks for the opinions. Next time I'll do the lateral putt to a layup for a hopeful 2 putt. At least from there worst case is 3.

Back