The Most Important Stretch in Golf: The Misig Revisited

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
The Most Important Stretch in Golf: The Misig Revisited

Good review by Molten. Excellent writer to have on staff. After spending a round with him at staffproto, I know Gary will bring truth and outstanding subjectivity to his reviews.
Looking forward to many more.

Good stuff Molten. I appreciate the honesty vs. the claims of the product.

Good review by Molten. Excellent writer to have on staff. After spending a round with him at staffproto, I know Gary will bring truth and outstanding subjectivity to his reviews.
Looking forward to many more.

Far too kind! Too bad you saw be play some god-awful golf that day (the 1st event pressure more than got me).

Good stuff Molten. I appreciate the honesty vs. the claims of the product.

I love testing marketing claims and the MISIG folks made several claims to verify. I want to believe but I'll verify first.

Thank you for doing the review and answering the one question I had about it. Absolutely think this is awesome but that right shoulder thing could be a big issue for me.

Thank you for doing the review and answering the one question I had about it. Absolutely think this is awesome but that right shoulder thing could be a big issue for me.

I'm not sure everyone will notice it but I've had right shoulder injuries in the past and it felt strange. It didn't hurt or stop anything, it was just strange. If you have serious problems with the shoulder it might be worse but I think that will be very individual to each user.

I was just reorganizing my golf stuff and I looked at all of the swing aids/trainers I own (more than I thought I did for the record). I had very low expectations when the MISIG was delivered but it now ranks pretty high as far as usefulness. If the cost came down, I would advocate for it strongly but at the current price its a person-by-person decision.

I'm not sure everyone will notice it but I've had right shoulder injuries in the past and it felt strange. It didn't hurt or stop anything, it was just strange. If you have serious problems with the shoulder it might be worse but I think that will be very individual to each user.

I’m thinking by what you described that it might pull my shoulder out of place (not much holds in it place right now) but it could help strengthen too though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m thinking by what you described that it might pull my shoulder out of place (not much holds in it place right now) but it could help strengthen too though.

I’m no doctor so keep that in mind but if you do it carefully I’d be surprised if a bungee cord caused a ton of problems. That’s why I liked the stretch routine most of all - slow and deliberate.

Thanks to Molten I’ll be giving MISIG a try. Good timing, too since I’ll be practicing more than playing the next few weeks!

030076d075212b9aeeeac9fa0a4aff49.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks to Molten I’ll be giving MISIG a try. Good timing, too since I’ll be practicing more than playing the next few weeks!

030076d075212b9aeeeac9fa0a4aff49.jpg

Update time! How has it been working out for you?

I’m totally slacking, but I’m going to mess with it some this week!

That max band does not mess around with letting you feel it in the shoulders. Oof.

It's been a great little warmup tool for me and the usual mess around during the day. It's helped a bit in my transition as well, it's not always as rushed, which usually leads to the quick hooks.

Alright, I got about 100 'swings' in using the orange band today and I can definitely see the utility in it! I'm going to try and do at least 50 a day from here on out. I'll stick with the orange band initially and will move up once it feels right. I feel like it helps me get my hands and arms in the right position, which is something that I've been working hard to do. Additionally I really feel the stretch in multiple areas so I'm interested to see if it actually makes a difference long term. We'll see!

Thanks for the review!

Alright, I got about 100 'swings' in using the orange band today and I can definitely see the utility in it! I'm going to try and do at least 50 a day from here on out. I'll stick with the orange band initially and will move up once it feels right. I feel like it helps me get my hands and arms in the right position, which is something that I've been working hard to do. Additionally I really feel the stretch in multiple areas so I'm interested to see if it actually makes a difference long term. We'll see!

I think after a few weeks you will be surprised. Just don't hurt yourself!

I really, REALLY, like this thing.

Great review Gary.

I think this has got a lot of merit to it, I'm enjoying adding it alongside my SuperSpeed workouts.

Just received one about an hour ago thanks to @MWard . To say I was surprised at the difficulty with getting my right arm completely straightened out with the light band (orange) would be an understatement. Just from messing around with it a little, I can definitely see a lot of value in it going forward. My flexibility in my mid 50's is probably as good or better than most guys much younger than me but my strength on my 145 lb. frame is definitely something that needs to be improved and, from what I have felt in my very brief period of messing around with this device, I believe it will help tighten up and strengthen some golf specific muscles (which is all I am really interested in).

I put out a WTB thread to get this one. If anybody else is interested in trying one, another THPer responded to me wanting to sell one after I already had made a deal so I know there is another one out there to be had.

Have been using this device for almost 4 weeks and am still enjoying it. 4 weeks is a long time for me to keep using a training or exercise device. Other than walking the course or the dog, I get bored pretty easily with doing any other kind of exercise. As I mentioned previously, flexibility never has been an issue for me even in my mid 50's. I do feel this device has helped me increase my strenght a little and feel that it will continue to do so with more use. I have been using it every other day since I started using it. I am still on the light band and will likely stick with it until I can comfortably do 50 of each exercise. Even though I have always played golf right-handed, I am a natural lefty (everything in life except golf) so my left arm has always been much stronger than my right arm. The majority of excercises, and even during the stretching part, with this device seem to work the right arm much more than the left so I believe that will really benefit me in bringing the strength of that side closer to the left.

Just bumping this thread to see if anyone is still actively using this bad boy. Really curious in it as I've lost some of the flexibility my swing has relied on through the years.

For those that are. Is this a device you have to use pretty religiously to maintain results? Also, what have you noticed as a long term benefit? Has it truly impacted your swing?

Just bumping this thread to see if anyone is still actively using this bad boy. Really curious in it as I've lost some of the flexibility my swing has relied on through the years.

For those that are. Is this a device you have to use pretty religiously to maintain results? Also, what have you noticed as a long term benefit? Has it truly impacted your swing?
I use it several times a week. Usually at work, I get a few reps from both sides. It has helped with flexibility, but I can’t say whether or not it is solely responsible for my improvement. I like it though and have been using it for close to 10 months

So, one of the extremely generous members here saw my post about wanting to give this a try and offered to send his to me. Thanks a lot @Doubleb21 !!

Received it last week and have been entertaining guests for the weekend. But, finally got a chance to strap into this guy and give it a quick go through last night. I watched the how to video on their "website". I put it in quotes as it could be the most unorganized collection of data and testimonials I have ever seen on a main page. Lol. I finally found the how to video and watched the guy go through the motions with the unit. I had an idea how it needed to be done, but didn't want to risk doing something incorrectly. Good thing. My first instinct would have been to break the right elbow like a golf swing and take it back. Keeping the right arm straight, I could feel the pull in my shoulders.

I was limited on time and only went through the stretch for a couple of minutes. I didn't really feel much at the time. Some pull on my left elbow where the strap decided to make the most grab. But, nothing crazy in the traps, where I expected to feel the most. But, when I grabbed a club and took a few swings after, I really could tell there was a difference. My left arm was not nearly as high and was wanting to come across my shoulders instead of going up over my head (not quite over my head, but I can't think of a great way to describe it yet). That difference speaks to me and directly to one of the issues my swing has. Taking the club up high in the backswing and then dropping the hands down and rerouting the club into the slot. When it works, it works well. But, I find that I can be inconsistent at times because of that plane difference.

So, I just wanted to drop in and give props to @Doubleb21 and let you all know that this is something that will be warranting some more work on my part to see what it can do for me. In conjunction with the Super Speed system, this could actually make my off season productive for my game.

I use it several times a week. Usually at work, I get a few reps from both sides. It has helped with flexibility, but I can’t say whether or not it is solely responsible for my improvement. I like it though and have been using it for close to 10 months

I never thought about doing it left handed until I saw your post. Definitely going to try it tonight.

I have been using it for a few months now and do like it. As I mentioned in earlier posts, flexibility never has been an issue for me so not sure it is doing much for me in that regard. Certainly is not hurting though. I only do the stretching and strength exercises shown in the how to video. Have not gotten into the actual swing training portion yet. Didn't use it for the 3 or 4 weeks while I was doing overspeed training which I feel liked completely wrecked my swing based on what I saw and felt on the course. Dropped that and went back to the MISIG Sunday and plan on keeping it up every other day.

I never thought about doing it left handed until I saw your post. Definitely going to try it tonight.

I have been using it for a few months now and do like it. As I mentioned in earlier posts, flexibility never has been an issue for me so not sure it is doing much for me in that regard. Certainly is not hurting though. I only do the stretching and strength exercises shown in the how to video. Have not gotten into the actual swing training portion yet. Didn't use it for the 3 or 4 weeks while I was doing overspeed training which I feel liked completely wrecked my swing based on what I saw and felt on the course. Dropped that and went back to the MISIG Sunday and plan on keeping it up every other day.
One thing I saw in their video was a way to use the stretching device as a means of ingraining the feel of the out to in swing path. Not something I had thought of before. But, ingraining those feels of the transition is tough for any training device. I am going to give it a shot and see if it helps in that regard.

So, I have been working with this a little bit each day. I still enjoy the stretch in the shoulders that this provides. It has pointed out a few mechanical things that this could be helping with and I am excited to see how, if at all, it effects my full swing.

One thing though. The strap and bungee cord. I can see how that would force someone to keep their left arm straight if they are not typically able to do so. For someone like myself who already keeps their left arm straight, I don't know how much benefit it actually provides. I can replicate the stretch using just a regular club by placing my right hand down by the club head and making a turn. When using the MISIG, I don't feel like the strap is adding much to the stretch. It could be providing a mechanical benefit by starting with your hands close and separating on the way back.

I brought out my MISIG last week to start stretching for a Driver fitting next week.
Using it for a couple of days, I can feel stiffness in my Left arm and Right shoulder.
Should have brought it out earlier however I don't have a real good place in the house to swing it so that adds to the lack of motivation.

Back