Thread: Distance question

Handicap
    17.89 USGA
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts

Distance question

When I started, I was placing my ball under my left eye for all shots except driver and putter. It has really helped build hand eye to where I rarely top or trench. Problem is that my irons are not that distant IMO. Yesterday I moved the ball back and it got the iron distance to increase by 20 yds without any swing speed change.

Lots of the discussions here are about 1/2, 3/4 and full swings to control distance. Is ball placement advisable as another tool to control distance or am I going down another rabbit hole?
    XL Set
    10.5 Driver
    15 3 wood 19 5 wood
    20 4 hybrid 23 5 hybrid
    26 6 iron 30 7 iron 35 8 iron 40 9 iron
    45 Pitching 55 Sand
    SM7 Volkey 50 F grind & 60 K grind
    Red Tank #7 Putter SuperStroke

GIF Master
    Handicap
    Winter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,352 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave G View Post
    When I started, I was placing my ball under my left eye for all shots except driver and putter. It has really helped build hand eye to where I rarely top or trench. Problem is that my irons are not that distant IMO. Yesterday I moved the ball back and it got the iron distance to increase by 20 yds without any swing speed change.

Lots of the discussions here are about 1/2, 3/4 and full swings to control distance. Is ball placement advisable as another tool to control distance or am I going down another rabbit hole?
    The only time I've ever seen ball placement solely used as a distance control is in golf videogames. To a certain degree you can use it to manipulate the flight of the ball and therefore distance (back, in theory de-lofts the club, meaning more distance), but there are many other factors that come into play like having to manipulate the swing for face angle, spin, etc. I am by no means an expert in the swing and all it's effects, but nothing is that simple and always has multiple consequences.
    GBB Epic Sub Zero 9 ​UST Mamiya HeLIUM Prototype
    Rogue Sub Zero 3W (15) Project X Even Flow Blue
    BBA 815 3H (19) Fujikura Speeder 865
    JPX 919 Forged 4-GW ​True Temper DG 120 TI [Thanks to Ultimate Weekend!]
    Mack Daddy 4 54 X / MD3 Milled 58 W True Temper DGTI 120 / Onyx Wedge
    O-Works #7s Black
    Chrome Soft X

Proud #DreamTeam #TheGrandaddy alum thanks to & !

3. The Following User Says Thank You to tpluff For This Useful Post:

Snickerdog (07-11-2018)

Handicap
    Golf
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts
    Moving the ball back is de-lofting the club a bit, that is why you will get more distance. It is similar to using one higher number club. Trying to control distance with ball position could be a pretty tricky proposition. There are other things that go into your angle of attack, like, are you transferring your weight forward on the downswing, or hanging back a little. I think you are right about "another rabbit hole". Been there myself many times.

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10,634 Posts
    ball placement most definitely can be used to to control distance. Why changing your ball placement got you a bunch more yards, I don't know. But the bigger question, yes ball placement is another tool for shot making.
    917D2
    GBB Epic Sub Zero 15
    Apex Hybrid 20
    Tour V6 Irons
    Mack Daddy 4 W Grind 50, 54 & 60
    Custom MySpider Tour
    Chrome Soft
    Tour X

Ohioans: We're everywhere cbaker2882's Avatar
    Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,576 Posts
    I guess you might be able to for distance, but I've never heard of that personally. Ball position to me has always been to adjust flight of the ball higher or lower. I've never heard it adjusting distance by 20 yards though, that's pretty crazy to hear.
    Callaway - Epic 9* #THCE EvenFlow Black Light 6.5
    Callaway - Rouge SZ 13.5*

Callaway - BB Alpha 815 20*
    Srixon - Z u45 23* / Z765 5-PW
    Titleist - Vokey 48/54/58
    Betti-TM-Odyssey-Seemore

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10,518 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cbaker2882 View Post
    I guess you might be able to for distance, but I've never heard of that personally. Ball position to me has always been to adjust flight of the ball higher or lower. I've never heard it adjusting distance by 20 yards though, that's pretty crazy to hear.
    Same here. I’m assuming he’s talking carry so if he’s hitting low flighted balls compared to before he may be seeing run out but that imo is probably not the way to go with irons.

As to op on ball position I have heard several instructors talk about playing the ball in the same position either off front shoulder or placard of the shirt and then vary the stance based on type of club.
    "It is what it is"

"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail"

Handicap
    17.89 USGA
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts
    Mostly carry. Ex. 50 wedge with ball under left eye (I'm right handed) consistantly gets me 55 yards with (guessing here) about 48 yd carry and a 7 yard rollout.

I move the ball to about my right heel and I get 70 with 58 carry and 12 rollout. Same swing speed same hip initiation...

Yes, I know I'm delofting the club.

35 years ago when I first learned golf the "standard" ball position was to move the ball further back in your stance as the club loft increased.

Fast forward to now. Starting back in March I used the same ball position (always under the left eye) to rapidly develop my hand eye coordination. Now that I can consistently get under the ball I'm going back to that original concept (moving the ball back based on club loft) to re-gain distance.

My question here was more along the lines of - is it advisable to incorporate that ball placement as another way to control distance, much like a 3/4 swing or am I asking for trouble?
    XL Set
    10.5 Driver
    15 3 wood 19 5 wood
    20 4 hybrid 23 5 hybrid
    26 6 iron 30 7 iron 35 8 iron 40 9 iron
    45 Pitching 55 Sand
    SM7 Volkey 50 F grind & 60 K grind
    Red Tank #7 Putter SuperStroke