Driver Spin Variances

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting test done today on the range with FlightScope that brought an interesting question for THPers. How much spin difference do you think you have from swing to swing when hitting drivers? I see a lot of posts from simulators and launch monitor screen shots or people discuss numbers and its got a few different swings and the variance is quite small. So when you test drivers, how much spin variance are you seeing from swing to swing?

I wont share what we saw over the last few days on the range, but in testing 11 different golfers, all on FlightScope, it was pretty interesting stuff.

A lot. I've seen well over 1500RPM added on poor swings.

I'll be interested to hear people's results on this. I know the data you have is really interesting.

I hope I can give a good answer in four months.

• Admin
I'll be interested to hear people's results on this. I know the data you have is really interesting.

And got data from 10 more people today.

A lot. Like from 2400 to 4200 on different swings.

On poor and well struck shots, I'd imagine I have about 1.5k worth of variance in there, half above 2700 rpm, half below.

I would say at least 1k rpm if not up to 2k for variance. Planning to do a full fitting in January, so will see actual numbers then. I would think a player with a repeatable swing would be in the 500rpm or less range.

Same driver and shaft I can see up to 1500 variance

Of course my swing is garbage right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have no idea for the variances I can see on the same driver honestly. I have seen the differences between drivers themselves be pretty big, but I don't remember variances with the same driver on good/bad swings.

This is interesting as I was surprised by this myself recently. When I was testing drivers in the last month I saw anywhere from 2300 to 3500. I had no idea it would be that big of a range.

I wouldn't know. But...... Probably should.

JM

My miss tends to low on the face and results in a huge backspin spike. I want to say I've gone from less than 2000 to greater than 4700 in the same set. Craptastic consistancy :beat-up:

From my last session 20 driver swings low spin was 1500+ rpm and high was 3000+ rpm. The majority were between 1500 rpm to 2100 rpm. With a couple of outliers in the 3000 to 3200 range.

This summer I did a 90 minute driver fitting. Spin ranges were between 1500 and 4500 depending on the head and shaft combo.

From what I remember from the last time I was on a flightscope the difference was around 700

A. Lot. For me....when getting fitted I fluctuated between 2200 to well over 4K....

It can vary greatly at times and be pretty close other time. For the most part I see a big swing.

I see as low as about 1100 and as high as 4500 on my GC2. Shot to shot there is a good 300+ RPM change.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'd say easily 1500rpms of so depending on strike location.

My last fitting had me ranging from 2300 to 4100. The higher numbers always came from rushed, trying to swing harder swings.

Don't remember the exact numbers, but I know there was quite a variance from swing to swing from when you measured me at Disney.

I'd say I could have a difference off anywhere from 1000-2000 rpm on poor swings to good swings.

Back