My Volunteer Experience at the US Open

NewGlfr

Reaction score
Handicap
I love this game. As someone who grew up without the means to enjoy playing it, but watched every chance I got, it was an awe inspiring experience to be abe to be at one of the premiere Golf Courses in the World with such history behind it. Seeing the course for the first time as the bus pulled up to the entrance was jaw dropping.

I got to follow some of the greatest Golfers in the World when I was not "working" and geeked out when following Tiger for the few holes I got to see him play. I also followed many others and got to see some of the best on the practice tees and practice greens.

I got to meet Jon Jennings the Chief Groundskeeper at Shinnecock and chat with him about the course itself. That was incredible. I also met the Chief Groundkeeper at Baltusrol, and we chatted a bit about his long history at the various courses he worked at.

It's amazing to me how many great people I got to meet over the few days I was there and how much love there is for the game by everyone in attendence. I can tell you, that anyone who thinks Golf is struggling should come to an event like this and take a look around. Tens of thousands of fans of all ages convening to honor a sport they love.

That's the awesome part.

Unpopular opinion incoming. If you want to argue with me, you can, but you aren't going to change my mind.

The volunteer experience was awful. The USGA does not treat it's volunteers well at all. There was an estimated 4500 volunteers which calculates to almost 90 000 hours of free labor. I don't know how Golf gets away with this. Especially since they are college age interns on the grounds which the USGA pays for food, lodging and clothing for 2 months time. 6 weeks before the event and 2 weeks after. But if you want to volunteer, you have to pay for the swag (which does not go to charity, btw, more on that later), pay for lodging, travel and food. Again, more on that later.

As a volunteer in the Merchandise Tent, it is absolutely staggering how much money the USGA makes on the things they sell. Yes, that is the goal of capitalism, but everyone I spoke to who worked in there was dumbfounded at how they can rack in so much and equally expect so much from "volunteers". It is not easy "work" to be on the floor for 4 and half hours at a time checking out so many people and seeing what is spent. Volunteers get no discounts, in the tent at all. We were also told we couldn't purchase more Volunteer swag unless it was our size and that the public would not be allowed to purchase volunteer apparel. When we asked what they did with all the extra stuff, they told us there was a charity they donated it to in South Africa. That was an outright lie. On Sunday, all the volunteers get an e-mail that all volunteer swag will be available to anyone and we can now buy any size we want. Obviously, the whole volunteer swag stuff is a security issue, but be honest about it.

There were no special considerations for the shuttle bus or food for Volunteers. You would think there there would be a parking area for volunteers close to the Shuttle so we wouldn't have to walk a great distance. Well, no. Many of us had to walk upwards of a mile just to get to the shuttle bus, and then back again once we got back. The shuttle itself was very poorly conceived, too. One of my shifts started at 6:45. It should have taken 25 minutes to get from the parking lot to the Course. Not so much. We actually got an e-mail telling us to show up at the buses between 5:30 and 5:45 to make our early shift. So show up at 5:30. Didn't get on the bus until 5:45. Didn't get to the course until 7:15. Many of the Hole Marshalls missed the first couple of tee offs because of it, and many people weren't available to get to the Merch Tent, etc. Frustrating and stressful.

Don't forget, too, that many of us had to travel to the Shuttle bus as well. And lodging was not plentiful in the area, nor very reasonably priced. I got a very cheap dumpy AirBnB as I was by myself, but still had to drive 25 minutes just to get to the Shuttle area. Woke up at 5AM to get to bus area at 5:30, and then 1:30 to get to the course. THEN to "volunteer". Just very poorly conceived.

Getting food was not easy and the food was terrible. We had access to free coffee, donuts and soda. We also got one voucher for free lunch per shift you work. But when it was time to get a short break from our shift to get food, we had to wait in line like everyone else to get our food. The lines were very long. No way to just walk up to get your food. And since you couldn't walk through he Merch Tent with food or drink, you had nowhere inside to sit down for a minute and eat. I'm not even going to tell you how bad the food was. We also had to go to the regular concession stands to get the food, rather than the "special" concessions which actually had freshly made, real food. Not frozen and microwaved stuff.

It was also very elitist as far which volunteers got certain stations and where the volunteers were allowed to go. A lowly Merchandise Tent Volunteer didn't have the same access privileges as the better stations. Some volunteers had ready access to the players. Others were forbidden from going to player areas. The best stations were given to members of the surrounding Golf Courses. And even they complained about how they were being treated.

One thing that was quite apparent was the demographics of the volunteers. I would say that 60% of the volunteers were over the age of 60 which made many of these issues even worse. Some of the more elderly volunteers needed help getting around after their shifts none of the stations let you sit down for long. It's also a matter that after an experience we had, I'm not so sure many will sign up to volunteer again.

For me, that's the ultimate rub. How in the world does the USGA and the PGA get away with this type of labor situation? The Masters does it right by actually employing the people that help temporarily. I think there will need to be a paradigm shift with this in the very near future. I'm remiss to think that the next few generations will tolerate this kind of thing, which is terrible for the game. Needless to say, the USGA in particular does not need anyone's help.

In 2015, the USGA had NET Assets of about $300M. But they need "volunteers" to run their Tournaments? You can look up their tax returns since they are a 501 (c) organization. Just plain staggering.

Interesting feedback, thanks for sharing.

I looked into volunteering for a local LPGA event. It wasn't nearly on the same scale as what you were talking about but I'm in the camp that says I'm not paying a dime for anything for the privilege of volunteering, so I passed. I think that's ultimately the answer - enough people have to be willing to say no, then the organizers feel pressure to make changes.

I thought about volunteering for next years US Open at Pebble but I definitely won’t. No way I would pay to volunteer.

Interesting feedback, thanks for sharing.

I looked into volunteering for a local LPGA event. It wasn't nearly on the same scale as what you were talking about but I'm in the camp that says I'm not paying a dime for anything for the privilege of volunteering, so I passed. I think that's ultimately the answer - enough people have to be willing to say no, then the organizers feel pressure to make changes.

Absolutely. For me, it was something on my bucket list which I got to check off, but not sure I would do it again unless I got the opportunity to do it locally, so I wouldn't have to pay to stay anywhere, and could just drive home when I was done. I would also not do Merchandise again. Course Marshall or something like that...maybe.

Sounds like you definitely did not enjoy the experience and that's a bummer. I volunteered at Winged Foot in '06 as did my Dad who was in the main Merchandise Tent, and I absolutely loved it.

That's a unique feedback to provide, and I'm glad you shared your honest opinion. It's appalling to realize how all of that is handled by volunteers

I volunteered once and it was pretty much as you described except they left me out on a hole for 8 hrs no break and made us walk in during lightning.

Sounds like you definitely did not enjoy the experience and that's a bummer. I volunteered at Winged Foot in '06 as did my Dad who was in the main Merchandise Tent, and I absolutely loved it.

I was sad that the volunteer experience was so abysmal. I had a blast when I wasn't volunteering, but the whole thing left a bad taste in my mouth. They can do so much to make it an amazing experience for the people there to help.

Glad to hear that you had a good time on the course, but that you had a bad experience when you were working. I also find it annoying that you have to pay to volunteer, although I did it for the Women's Open last year and I'll be at the Junior Amateur next month.

I was sad that the volunteer experience was so abysmal. I had a blast when I wasn't volunteering, but the whole thing left a bad taste in my mouth. They can do so much to make it an amazing experience for the people there to help.

they can, and I think a lot of the experience depends on your assignment and the layout of the lands. At Winged Foot there was an air conditioned volunteer tent that had those upgraded bathroom trailers with running water. Those weren't located anywhere else on the property for the public, so that was certainly nice. But if you are in a location where you can easily get to that spot, it was no good. Would I pay what I did to do it again? Maybe. I can't complain about the stuff I got for my payment, two polos, rain jacket, hat, water bottle, passes for the week. I worked in the golf cart area, so when a vendor, marshall, or media crew came in I would exchange their cart for a new one, clean the old one up, and park it so it could be charged. At the end of the day I would shuttle some people around be it to the exit or to the players lot. During a Monday practice round, I was told to ride around the course so that I could get familiar with it, and it led to me watching TW play(his first tourny back after Earl died), on a quite day with little people around. But again, all of that comes down to your location and assignment.

That's a shame that many people were dissatisfied with the treatment the volunteers received. Maybe I missed it, but what was your duty?

When I was gainfully employed in professional baseball, even most members of the staff did not have player access, including myself, but we had interns in promotions who did stuff with the players daily, including the locker room. Just a reference for comparison.

...upgraded bathroom trailers with running water.

You reminded about something funny. Somehow, it seemed like those trailers were always getting "backed up". Every 15 minutes or so we would hear some kind of chatter about the toilets being clogged and one of the interns would run by with a plunger, LOL.

That's a shame that many people were dissatisfied with the treatment the volunteers received. Maybe I missed it, but what was your duty?

I was in the Merchandise Tent. I think I was just more in shock about the amount of money that was being exchanged that went right into the USGA's pocket, yet that they had 4500 people there who were paying for the priviledge of working for them. It was shocking to many of us.

I blame myself for this, but I really couldn't have imagined the scale of issue.

I've volunteered for a PGA Championship, US Open and in a couple of weeks I'll be at my second LPGA event.

I'd absolutely agree with most of your criticisms. To be fair though, the USGA-run event has also been my worst volunteer experience. I think the PGA of America and the LPGA are much more professional in their volunteer organization, generally speaking.

If you're a golfer, it's also usually possible to help in a volunteer position that requires golf knowledge instead of doing something "generic" like working in the merchandise tent.

I can completely understand why folks would balk at paying something like the $75-175 I've paid to work at these events. But for the inside-the-ropes and player access I've been fortunate enough to have it's well worth it to me. For example, I walked away from my experience with the LPGA last year with a dozen game-used and signed golf balls from the players I walked and scored for. I also had the good fortune to be chosen as the walking scorer for the final group on Sunday afternoon. I got to spend all 18 holes seeing the battle for the tournament up close and inside the ropes.

I guess my point is that I wouldn't give up on volunteering at golf events because of one bad experience. But I would recommend trying your hand on the laser operations or walking scorer committees instead next time.

To be fair though, the USGA-run event has also been my worst volunteer experience. I think the PGA of America and the LPGA are much more professional in their volunteer organization, generally speaking.

Thank you for your feedback on this. I wondered about this specifically. I may have to consider a PGA or LPGA event in the future.

Thanks for sharing, I always wondered how this stuff works.

My Volunteer Experience at the US Open

Not sure what to tell you man, I’ve never had that experience and I’ve volunteered in 6-7 events. That being said, I do kind of chuckle at the part about why are you volunteering and having to pay for it. Your uniform was not free, there was a cost to it. Your admission to the event was not free, there is a value to it. Your food and beverage, also have a cost to it. Same with parking, even though you had to be shuttled in.

From my experience, usually the price of volunteering was less than the cost of one polo from the event. In my volunteering, I typically received two polos, and sometimes a rain jacket. With the food and drink alone depending on the time frame of the event, that too can also be covered in the ticket cost

Last edited:
I volunteered at the 2012 Ryder Cup at Medinah. The deal was if I volunteered we got free tickets for one day on the weekend.
So we went on Friday before we volunteered which was on Sunday. They were all worried that the Sunday Volunteers wouldn't show up on Sunday.
But we did because, Well that is the way my wife and I were raised. We worked one of the food booths and we had a good time working together.
We saw none of the action on Sunday, which is just as well as the US collapsed.

I'd do it again if I got a ticket for another day to volunteer - Seemed like a fair trade.

I thought I heard that for the PGA, some volunteers are retired and they follow the PGA week to week because it's something to do.

Sorry to hear that I volunteered at last years girls junior and had a wonderful experience. Feed very well, USGA staff was helpful and made sure we were taken care of. I will be working the upcoming PGA championship and the Women’s mid am.

Bummer to hear about the bad experience.

Glad to hear that you had a good time on the course, but that you had a bad experience when you were working. I also find it annoying that you have to pay to volunteer, although I did it for the Women's Open last year and I'll be at the Junior Amateur next month.

Paying is nothing new. I payed in ‘97 at congressional and had a blast. I handled the range, it was hard work but worth it.

Seems like a pretty lousy experience. Honestly I can't imagine volunteering to do something that was not in my own hometown unless I was with a group that all decided to do it to be close to the action. The merchandise tent is clearly not that. However you went in as a volunteer...a volunteer doesn't get stuff for free they are there because they want to be, so the fact that you had to pay for stuff to me is irrelevant you should have known that going in. I do agree though that they should have better accommodations at the event itself for people working/volunteering their time to help things run smoothly.

What a lousy experience.
From the sound of it, experiences are different based on the events.

That being said, I do kind of chuckle at the part about why are you volunteering and having to pay for it. Your uniform was not free, there was a cost to it. Your admission to the event was not free, there is a value to it. Your food and beverage, also have a cost to it. Same with parking, even though you had to be shuttled in.

From my experience, usually the price of volunteering was less than the cost of one polo from the event. In my volunteering, I typically received two polos, and sometimes a rain jacket. With the food and drink alone depending on the time frame of the event, that too can also be covered in the ticket cost

The point is that an organization with $300M worth of Net Assets shouldn't be asking Volunteers to pay for those things. Yes, there is a cost, but when you're in the Merchandise Tent for 15 hours and see how much money is flowing in, it makes it seem that you are maybe being taken advantage of in that regard. I totally take responsibility for that as I chose to Volunteer. It was my choice. Just relaying my thoughts and experiences.

The point is that an organization with $300M worth of Net Assets shouldn't be asking Volunteers to pay for those things. Yes, there is a cost, but when you're in the Merchandise Tent for 15 hours and see how much money is flowing in, it makes it seem that you are maybe being taken advantage of in that regard. I totally take responsibility for that as I chose to Volunteer. It was my choice. Just relaying my thoughts and experiences.

I'm not sure if you play fantasy football, but a lot of leagues make you pay money to participate (including the THP leagues) that way you have something invested and on the line to ensure you show up and do your part. Is this not similar to that in some respect (minus the whole $300M in assets number that keeps being mentioned)?

Back