What Is Your Favorite Local Course?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Qualifications.
It must be with in 30 minutes of your house or apartment.

Riverbend CC... Classic old school layout. I really enjoy playing there .

Painted Hills. Go figure.

Other than that one, I like Falcon Lakes. Links style course.

For me, Creekmoor. Bar None. Almost like a Florida course in KC, lots of water, white sand.

Creekmoor3.gif

Does it have to be playable by me? The Country Club is about that distance...

But if we're talking courses I can actually play, probably Red Tail in Devens, MA. I think there are better courses for the money around (it's not a cheap course to play), but if we're just talking layout, it's probably my favorite in the area.

Boulder creek, even though it tends to kick my butt

Edit: dang, just outside 30 minutes from me (along with some other pretty good ones). So I'll have to say Sweetbriar - legacy course.

• Admin
Does it have to be playable by me? The Country Club is about that distance...

But if we're talking courses I can actually play, probably Red Tail in Devens, MA. I think there are better courses for the money around (it's not a cheap course to play), but if we're just talking layout, it's probably my favorite in the area.

How would you know its your favorite if you cannot play it? :D

For a newbie like me and for the price, Indian Springs CC is perfect. For $20 total, I can play 9 holes with my kids anytime. It's really great. It's a nice easy walk, too.

For me, Creekmoor. Bar None. Almost like a Florida course in KC, lots of water, white sand.

Creekmoor3.gif

For as flat and tree-less as that is, it looks incredible.

Wintergreen G/CC. Hands down. If I speed I can get there in under 30 if I go the speed limit its about 35 minutes away. I usually speed so it qualifies.

Twin City CC is my favorite at exactly 30 minutes away but I am a member of Little Fishing Creek at 5 min and Lake Jonesco at 18 minutes as they are that much closer. Twin City is fairly nice but not that much nicer than those 2. If I lived closer to Harbor Club it would be.

It is one the THP has actually visited more than once! I am lucky enough to get to play it several times a year. The Highlands of Elgin. It provides a lot of options off the tee, tons of risk reward and fun greens.

Creekmoor3.gif

Wow that course really appeals to my eye. Just Gorgeous

For as flat and tree-less as that is, it looks incredible.

Yep it is a longer course, lots of water, lots of sand.. tough greens, but not many trees and little elevation change, but I would play there everyday if I could

Lonnie Poole Golf Course at NC State. Such a great test. It is a fantastic Arnold Palmer design. They have a nice range, Good conditions and it is always a blast.

Not to mention the staff is great and the food is excellent with a great LARGE clubhouse/restaurant.

Some iPhone pics I snapped recently at a dinner event they had

10984091_10100115960672759_6739337636140096584_n.jpg

11666241_10100115975702639_4097501682175489816_n.jpg

11695899_10100115975932179_1274622423746408110_n.jpg

11220942_10100115975962119_1373864721367733678_n.jpg

11665753_10100115975982079_249378311132717325_n.jpg

Country Oaks Golf Course, my home course. There are only 3 other courses within 30 miles of my house and two of them are private and too rich for my blood and the other is a 9 hole goat track.

Yep it is a longer course, lots of water, lots of sand.. tough greens, but not many trees and little elevation change, but I would play there everyday if I could

Based off how it looks like they take care of the fairways, I would too.

Boulder creek for me

I'll go with Queenstown Golf. 36 holes, two distinctively different layouts. Typical in good shape. Pace of play usually isn't to bad either.

How would you know its your favorite if you cannot play it? :D

True. I've been on the property, and it just about killed me that I couldn't swing a club anywhere.

Squire Creek Country Club. I was a member there for several years and hopefully soon I'll be back there again.

True. I've been on the property, and it just about killed me that I couldn't swing a club anywhere.

True Story. My father is from Brookline and growing up he was not allowed there as they didnt allow Jews. Over the years and through his successes he was offered to play many times and he finally got the chance and has now done so numerous times and I get to do it with him in 2016.

Back