Have you ever lost your mind on the golf course?

jdtox

Lord Tox
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
In light of the recent Phil debacle I started thinking have you ever lost your mind on the course? Have you ever gotten so frustrated with yourself or even the course that you just said EFF it?

I'm not talking throwing clubs, though I guess that could be classified as losing your mind haha. I'm talking about walking off the course, quitting on a teammate, not caring what your score is just hitting the ball... stuff like that?

Does quitting after 9 count? If so, yeah, multiple times lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I stop scoring all the time when I get frustrated and mad at myself for not playing as well as I could be. I find it to be less stressful than trying to continue to keep score through an extra horrible round.

No - haven’t done the Phil blowup or lost my mind

Left due to pace of play issues though

Does quitting after 9 count? If so, yeah, multiple times lol

If you paid for 18 and quit after 9 I’d say yes that counts

Yep more than a few times. And I am even tempered.

I've quit keeping score before but that's probably the most extreme I've done. I'll usually just try figuring my swing out if I get to that point.

Negative ghostrider- it's a sport that I enjoy playing regardless of how well I'm doing. I don't take it so seriously that I would act poorly and throw a club, or walk off the course. I may slam a club into the ground on a dumb shot, but then I'm over it. Don't get me wrong I want to to do well, I want to play better but at the end of the day I'm paying to play, not the other way around.

Was golfing with my boss and his father. My boss wasn't playing very good, and hit multiple bad shots, and he'd erupt in a flurry of swears, and get very angry. After about 5 holes he hit another bad one, and the "f" bombs started flying. He turns around and his dad is walking down the fairway the wrong way, and he's like "where you going dad?", and His father goes "I'm going home, I'm not playing with you, you're an a-hole", lol. My boss was so embarrassed that he never played golf for a few years, and now he's much calmer when he does play. Man was that funny!
So kinda what you were asking, lol

I’ll pick up my ball if I am near the green and screwing up enough where I’m at an 8 before I putt so I don’t slow the group down. That is a rarity though thankfully!! I’ve seen the Club Pro Guy quick rake a few times out there by others. If doesn’t affect my score so no biggie.

Walked off on Saturday after 8 holes - I was spent after 5....... My game was poor but one of my playing partners was just getting on my wick and not helping making comments after each shot that were not constructive.

Back to the practice area this week with a hope of an improvement in my general play ready for Saturday.

I played in a tournament where our foursome had two people not show up. We played the first 9 as a twosome and the guy I was with got so fed up with having to wait behind a foursome and being pushed by one behind us that he left at the turn (it also took 3 hours to play 9). I had to WD beacuse there was nobody to verify my score.

i have. First time i can ever remember walking off the course because POP was just not right. It was stupid how slow the course was and playing 7 holes in 2.5 hours just made me lose it. Paid $118 in greens fees too and didn't matter. I was done and nothing was going to change that.

Yep. I've quit mid round multiple times. Golf is supposed to be fun and relaxing for me and if it gets too bad where I'd rather be at work than on the course, I leave. Of course, that's only when I'm a single. If I'm playing with someone else I just grind it out.

Never have, I have always tried to just push thru it and learn. Had a guy quit on me and concede a match after we hit our tee shots, "Just not going to beat you today" and he turned the cart around and went right back to the clubhouse.

Only once....Course in NH had (IMO) the worst designed greens I’d ever seen. Severe slopes, pin placements in “odd” areas and mowed very tight....FAST. I couldn’t keep ANY wedge, pitch or chip on the green. Par 5...Driver, 7 Iron to 10 feet or so pin high. Rolled to the hole then all the way off...up and back 4 times. Pulled my clubs off the cart got in the car and left. We laugh about it now but that day.....Aghhhhh

Aside from a tantrum here or there, I can’t think of one.

I will say once in a high school match, I was paired with one of my best friends who also played on my team. This was the second match of the year & we were both struggling. About after the sixth hole he hits hits a really bad tee shot. He screams “I can’t take this **** anymore!” & starts walking to the clubhouse. I told the guys he’ll be back... Then I saw him drive down the road next to the hole we were playing. He really was done lol. He didn’t play for a couple years after that.

Stopping keeping score I've done a bunch of times. I've turned a round into a practice. I'm not sure I've ever walked off the course or quit on a teammate in a team setting.

I find going into practice mode, I'm more likely to turn things around and get my swing back for my next time out.

Many many times I have stopped keeping score and just played to play.

Once played a round with a guy who (on the third hole) lost his mind on a missed putt and rocketed his ball off the green with his putter. Ended up taking about a 3" divot into the middle of the green and looked like a Richard. He was playing decently up to that point but went off the rails afterward going out of bounds on lazy tee shots, grip and rip iron shots, not lining up his putts, etc. As we hit the turn he asked his cart-partner to drop him off in the parking lot because he ran out of golfballs and ended up not returning for the back 9.

In light of the recent Phil debacle I started thinking have you ever lost your mind on the course? Have you ever gotten so frustrated with yourself or even the course that you just said EFF it?

I'm not talking throwing clubs, though I guess that could be classified as losing your mind haha. I'm talking about walking off the course, quitting on a teammate, not caring what your score is just hitting the ball... stuff like that?

Phew....I’ve walked off the course but it was well over ten years ago when I was a young egotistical idiot.
I have not and will not EVER walk off the course or leave a man I’m playing with in an event out there to fend for himself. Hell, I won’t do it now that I’m mature in a friendly weekend round. If I’m that frustrated I may not finish out a hole but never just leave the group high and dry.

In my younger days, I would run hot. I was playing a par 5 with a tiny pond in the front. I think I made a 12. I topped two into the pond, hit two into the lake(see pics). I snapped...literally and snapped a club over my thigh. It wasn’t my finest moment.
2b7c5d7565fa5a35216af64067c9b3e1.png
ccbc0c296ae0ce3f58c393d0fb62fce0.png

I had a real bad temper as a junior, ultimately it's what made me leave golf for 25 years. I regret that time away.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

In my younger days I threw my putter once or twice but now that I am older I am much wiser.

Now when I get angry I will Threaten to slam my club into the ground but stop a foot from the ground because I can't treat my New Cobra KFTB's badly. They are such beautiful clubs and its not their fault I am playing terribly at times.

Anger isn't going to help me play better.

I have been in the middle of the swing and just stop..... and completely forget how to swing a club. Like not be able to remember what to do next.
This went on for a solid 4 holes to finish a round, would get to a certain point in the swing and completely freeze.

Back