It's not just heckling, it's the ridiculous "In the hole!" or "Bababooie!" after a tee shot that gets to me. There is less and less decorum the past decade or so, and some of it seems to be encouraged, like the stadium hole at Phoenix. It could be stopped by kicking people out because it's definitely a small minority. Whether it was Fox's extra mics or the crowd itself, it really sounded bad on TV. It was like they emptied out the bars in Brooklyn and Queens and bussed them out to Shinnecock. With the general decline in interest in golf, however, I'm not sure anyone will take the steps necessary to control fans, except maybe Augusta National.

If they aren't yelling during their pre-shot routine or swing, then it's not that big of a deal. Poulter needs to grow some thicker skin or avoid areas where they chant USA, USA, USA if he doesn't like it.

What has he done to you personally for you to feel this way about him? Not liking a player is one thing. Hoping fans body shame him while he is at work is entirely another.

Just because chubby didn't do anything to someone personally doesn't mean only those who've personally dealt with him can have an opinion of him. Jeffrey Dahmer, Timothy McVeigh, and Charles Manson never did anything to me personally, but I believe they all should have died from lead poisoning. We take the evidence presented and form an opinion of others. Some people draw "the line" at murder, conspiracy to commit murder, etc. Some draw it at cheating and stealing. Others still might draw it at cutting them off in traffic. We all have different limits.

Well I do have personal experience with him. I'll just leave it at that.

Then you are more than free to feel that way but would you heckle him on a golf course by saying mean things and annoying other dpectators or would you just keep it to yourself?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The radio broadcast picked up the comments even more. I could not believe all the things I was hearing. I thought I was at a hockey, baseball, basketball or football game. Fans are out of control at all events!

I don't think its going anywhere so I'm at the point where I just enjoy the creative yelling, but despise the repetitive lame old song and dance. BABABOOOEY has never been and will never be funny.

Golf fans in general are getting out of hand with the outbursts. I think the NY fans tend to take it up a notch and while most behaved and had a great time, the loud few are grabbing the headlines

Then you are more than free to feel that way but would you heckle him on a golf course by saying mean things and annoying other dpectators or would you just keep it to yourself?

I wouldn't yell at him because it's obnoxious, but I have zero sympathy for him. They could have yelled much worse and I would still feel the same.

Were the US Open fans the worst we have seen to date? Some players have been pretty outspoken. Some media has been outspoken and some have said it crossed the line.

Thoughts?

Sadly, far more prevalent in US galleries.

The natural reaction is to say "kick 'em out." But how do you kick someone out for saying something rude to a player vs someone shouting "mashed potatoes." Personally, I'd like to kick them both out. But then what do you do about the guy shouting "Go Tiger?" And most importantly, what about the guy shouting "The gold jacket is yours Happy! Shooter's going to choke!"

I think the best thing to do would be for the PGA Tour, LPGA Tour, USGA and PGA to make a joint announcement before the official start of the next season that reiterates the spirt of the game and says:

Fans using vulgar language or directing rude or obnoxious comments at players, caddies or officials are subject to ejection
Fans who are deemed as disruptive will be given a warning. After the first warning, they are subject to ejection.

Yes, they may have to eject a ton of people the first few weeks. But if they do so and stick to their guns, people will eventually modify their behavior.

Of course things brings up the debate about whether golf is old and stuffy and out of touch, or whether we should be permitting a "more casual" environment at golf tournaments because times change. Unfortunately, I'm not sure you can have a casual golf environment without the morons.

For the record, I think “Bababooey” and “Hit ‘em with the Hein” are hilarious but I’ve listened to Howard Stern for 20 years.

It’s the personal attacks on players that I have an issue with.

It gets to be out of control and obnoxious to me. I say kick em out, you don’t hear any of the nonsense and personal attacks at The Masters as they will toss you out in a heartbeat, and hold true to it.

They seemed pretty out of control. I was having the same conversation yesterday and I agree with BL people who shout some of generic crap should be tossed. Also they need to stop selling beer so early unless they want to deal with the fact that people have impulse control and can’t not drink 10 beers. I’m not going to say Augusta has it completely right but the patrons are actually respectful and don’t act like idiots.

IMO, these people that do this absolutely have crossed the line. They should be identified and immediately ejected. Without refund! Personal attacks do not belong in any sport. And I’m saying this as a devout PHILADELPHIA Eagles fan. You know what they say about us.
A little light hearted levity is fine but what these idiots were yelling is beyond borderline.

Heckling Fans

i cannot stand it. angc seems to be the only heavily attended tournament that has figured this out. it should be the benchmark by which all other tournaments should treat spectators. either that, or only open the mics for impact and clapping. cut it off for immediately after impact and everything in between. i'd rather listen to johnny miller talk about his glory days than anything any fan feels compelled to yell out.

Last edited:
i cannot stand it. agnc seems to be the only heavily attended tournament that has figured this out. it should be the benchmark by which all other tournaments should treat spectators. either that, or only open the mics for impact and clapping. cut it off for immediately after impact and everything in between. i'd rather listen to johnny miller talk about his glory days than anything any fan feels compelled to yell out.

Wow. Strong words there.

Add me to the list of folks who say to establish guidelines for behavior--profanity and heckling are not allowed. If you cross the line, you are kicked out without refund. There is no place for it. If you can't handle your alcohol while attending a sporting event, you're pathetic.

I heard several comments yelled out this past weekend that definitely crossed the line. I don't recall hearing that many at any other tournaments in the past.

I've had enough of the yelling on TV, that's for sure.

Everything being all crazy mic'ed out though... that's kind of on the broadcast.

I can't imagine it had anything to do with the alcohol. I mean, isn't that what makes these events great?

I can't imagine it had anything to do with the alcohol. I mean, isn't that what makes these events great?

I would say idiots are idiots whether they are drinking or not.

Personal attack should not happen, the cheers and shouting have seemingly increased something may have to be done in the future.

Obnoxious is a good word for it. I’m sure it sucks for the thousands of great fans that attend, besides the golfers, to have to deal with a dozen idiots shouting out after every swing. It also cheapens the broadcast. Can you imagine being able to hear isolated fans yelling at a game at any sport while you are watching the broadcast?
It’s possible to point out idiots at a major sporting event and have them removed. With the hundreds of volunteers at a golf tournament, why not post five or six volunteers at every tee box and green with one cop that can remove these people if they are pointed out by others?

It was like the super bowl a couple years ago. That whooooing guy or whatever. Got old real real quick.

Just because chubby didn't do anything to someone personally doesn't mean only those who've personally dealt with him can have an opinion of him. Jeffrey Dahmer, Timothy McVeigh, and Charles Manson never did anything to me personally, but I believe they all should have died from lead poisoning. We take the evidence presented and form an opinion of others. Some people draw "the line" at murder, conspiracy to commit murder, etc. Some draw it at cheating and stealing. Others still might draw it at cutting them off in traffic. We all have different limits.

You can have an opinion about a pro golfer but not wish him ill will or that others speak badly about him.

And comparing that to a serial killer seems legit. Oooooookay.

A lot of them crossed the line. These guys are out there trying to make cuts....win tournaments etc. I don’t mind some general after contact babbabooies but:...being a Richard is out of line.

I hate to hear hecklers during golf. I would love for them to be removed from the venue. But that's not going to occur. I'm not really sure how to solve the problem of heckling. The US Open was pretty bad though.

Back