JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Were the US Open fans the worst we have seen to date? Some players have been pretty outspoken. Some media has been outspoken and some have said it crossed the line.

Thoughts?

Not sure if these were worse, or Bethpage were worse. Either way, people are becoming more and more idiotic out there. The only way to address it is kick em out. Cheer, yell, go nuts when someone makes a putt or a great shot. I'm not really sure where it's appropriate or makes sense to yell Rolex, Chipotle, or to mock someone's shot by saying nice shot chubby.

Were the US Open fans the worst we have seen to date? Some players have been pretty outspoken. Some media has been outspoken and some have said it crossed the line.

Thoughts?
I noticed the Fox censors doing a lot of work over the weekend, if that means anything.

I saw Poulter comment about it, be he whines a lot. Besides, the fans weren't the worst thing about the open. Probably rank number 3 on the list haha

Well, we have players deliberately breaking rules to gain an advantage and the fans sound like they're at a WWF event. Hardly recognize the game any longer. Just kidding - a little - but I do get tired of drunken fans yelling and agree something will need to be done before it gets worse.

Depends what they’re saying - personal attacks not cool- chanting USA cool

Hecklers are right up there with the ones that shout 'get in the hole' - IMO
They just have a or multiple screws loose

Obnoxious is a good word for it. I’m sure it sucks for the thousands of great fans that attend, besides the golfers, to have to deal with a dozen idiots shouting out after every swing. It also cheapens the broadcast. Can you imagine being able to hear isolated fans yelling at a game at any sport while you are watching the broadcast?
It’s possible to point out idiots at a major sporting event and have them removed. With the hundreds of volunteers at a golf tournament, why not post five or six volunteers at every tee box and green with one cop that can remove these people if they are pointed out by others?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It seemed to me that a lot of what was said had nothing to do with golf. It was just silly.Beer will do that to you!! Heck I didn't even know Baba Booey was still on the planet.He should get paid for every time they say his name.

The combination of too much alcohol and trying to be cool and get your voice on tv is out of control.

It wasn’t censored because it wasn’t vulgar but I heard someone yell “Nice shot chubby” at Patrick Reed off the tee. Society has a real problem right now with just being nice to each other. Too many people like to troll and harass others online and it’s flooding over into sporting events for attention.

It was absolutely terrible. Some of the things people were yelling at the Pros were down right embarrassing. It has A LOT to do with how much alcohol people consume at these events.

I would love for these people to be ejected immediately. Refund them their tickets even. Just get them gone.

The constant shouting absolutely negatively impacted my enjoyment of the coverage. Anyone who shouts anything generic (e.g "get in the hole" "babba booey" "mashed potatoes" "dilly dilly" etc...) should be immediately ejected from the event. It's just so selfish. Two or three weeks of this rule and the problem will solve itself.

The par 3 with that giant stadium at the Waste Management event can be exempt.

Last edited:
Hearing someone yell "You're a bum" to Stenson on Saturday was just one of many. I stopped going to the WMPO because I couldn't deal with the "fans".

I noticed the heckling more watching the online coverage as Fox was clearly on a delay and censoring the audio. I like drinking my beer while watching or playing golf, but there's people who start way too early and can't control it. I think they need to limit alcohol beverage sales and cut it off similar to pro events (i.e. football - start of 3rd quarter).

From what I could hear it seemed to be the worse I remember, but I don't know if it was just from what was shown or what actually occurred was worse than others.

It totally rubs me the wrong way. That kind of behavior is unfair to the player as well as well as totally inconsiderate of other fans and viewers alike. It's time to start policing this type of behavior. Personal verbal attacks or inane word yelling is never cool.

I don't know if Fox had more mics or what but I commented several times to my buddies about how bad and annoying the crowd seemed. I'd be annoyed by them if I was there as a spectator, let alone being a player.

I don't know if Fox had more mics or what but I commented several times to my buddies about how bad and annoying the crowd seemed. I'd be annoyed by them if I was there as a spectator, let alone being a player.

They did have more mics than usual. On the players and all over the course.

It was pretty bad. Think I hit rewind more than once this weekend just to hear what the fan(s) would say after a tee shot if I didn't pick it up right off the bat.

We all are aware these are just a handful and don't makeup or represent the majority. Happens though.

A lot of major league sports post messages at the game stating to text a number or see an usher for cursing, fighting, etc. Maybe golf needs to do this at the tour events and do a massive media campaign about how you can report crappy behavior. Have Tiger Woods, Spieth and others film a commercial about it.

That's the least of what he deserves.

What has he done to you personally for you to feel this way about him? Not liking a player is one thing. Hoping fans body shame him while he is at work is entirely another.

That's the least of what he deserves.

Like him or not there is no reason to be outwardly mean to him. It’s not like he did something to you personally like steal your dog or something.

Well I do have personal experience with him. I'll just leave it at that.

The combination of too much alcohol and trying to be cool and get your voice on tv is out of control.

It wasn’t censored because it wasn’t vulgar but I heard someone yell “Nice shot chubby” at Patrick Reed off the tee. Society has a real problem right now with just being nice to each other. Too many people like to troll and harass others online and it’s flooding over into sporting events for attention.

Not just alcohol problem. Social media has given power to anyone to say and do anything with anonymity. It will take a lot to get it out of our society, but removing rude and obnoxious people from sporting events would be a start. But then, what about free speech? Difficult topic to cure!

Back