Spin and Your Game

GraniteRoost

Flying Rocks
Albatross 2023 Club Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
6 Grint
A multipart question:

1) Are you a high or low spin player, or in the middle?

2) Would you prefer more or less spin?

3) Do you choose equipment to help either way?

Lets use irons and overall game as the example as opposed to just driver...

EDIT: I'm more sweep than steep most of the time and have medium spin and launch. I tend to like options that keep my spin up rather than down.

Low Spin
More spin

I love my current numbers with woods (mid spin) but I'd like another thousand rpm through the rest of the bag.

Low Spin
More spin

I love my current numbers with woods (mid spin) but I'd like another thousand rpm through the rest of the bag.

This is where I am. Play the highest launching, spinning ball and look forward to playing spinnier irons in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1) mid to high
2) I’m very content with my spin
3) only on drivers. I seem to be in a good spot for everything else, but get steep on driver so need low spin to counteract my little flaw.

Mid to high spin and I’m happy with spin into or around the greens.

Driver I’m good with it and could stand to bring it down, but it isn’t hurting me since I’ve cleaned up my swing.

I'm low spin across the board. With irons, it probably doesn't help that I'm playing a lower spin iron (Apex CF 16). But even with my wedges, I'm not spinning the ball back, it's more of a hop and stop.

I wish I had more spin, especially on shorter shots around the green. On full shots it's not as much of an issue because I have a high ball flight, so I tend to stop the ball with height instead of spin. However, shots out of the rough are more challenging.

I have considered going to an iron that spins more, but don't want to give up 10 yards per club. That's what I was seeing when I hit the X Forged as compared to the Apex CF 16 during my fitting earlier this year.

Current spin - High - Is extreme spin an option?

Preference - I’d prefer less spin off my driver and woods but for irons I am currently happy.

Equipment. - yes, ball, clubs, shafts all chosen/fitted for less spin. I’m steep and deliberate in my swing and I pay the price for it. I’ve been fit several times and my current iron setup is good for me compared to others I tried.

No idea. It's been probably 6-7 years since I got some drivers on a monitor and at that time it was high. I'm happy with my game and my clubs so it might be a long time before I know my spin numbers.

Sent from my BLA-A09 using Tapatalk

1) Medium with irons, fairly high on full or 3/4 wedge approaches, low on chips.

2) More on chips, less with driver.

3) Yes, but with a caveat.

The caveat being that so far, for my game and preferences, equipment choice has been an exercise in compromise (particularly w/ball).

I want every advantage I can get as to low spin off the tee with driver. Less for distance, much more for direction as per reducing sidespin.

Low compression always offered positive results as to direction but there was always a tradeoff wrt loss of distance and/or cover material resulting in serious short game compromise.

Newer offerings have all but solved that. Engineers have developed low core compression balls that still retain explosive distance, even for very fast swing speeds. So now my search is for the one that best suits my game.

Ironically, my recent revisiting of old stock has determined the best fit for me to not be a modern ball at all. The TM TP Red LDP gives me great distance and accuracy, excellent stopping power on approaches, nice zip back with wedges, adequate (for me) spin with chips.

Lots of digging revealed a way too hard to discover fact that I'd suspected, the TP Red LDP has a core compression of 75. Low suits me.

I am a mid spin kind of guy. I obviously don't like a ton of spin off the tee and for wedges I want the ball to stop immediately or just one hop and stop. Its hard to judge how much spin I can put on a wedge and try to spin the ball back so I just eliminate that option altogether.

A multipart question:

1. Low spin in irons and high spin in woods especially driver
2. I’d prefer more spin in irons and as little spin as I can get in my woods
3. I do now that I got custom fit on a track man and looked at the real data. The right SHAFT does wonders in people’s golf games. I’ve noticed a serious amount of control since getting custom fit and it’s a glorious thing to have confidence in keeping the ball in play.

I'm very similar to Pkorf with my answers:

1) Driver spin is relatively high but my iron spin is low.

2) I would love to see more spin out of my irons but I could cut it down some with my driver.

3) One of the reasons I went back to my current iron set is because they provided me with more spin than I have been able to achieve with other sets. With the driver it's definitely something I take in to consideration.

Driver... I don't know.

At a recent lesson I was in the high 5 Ks with an 8i. That's probably low???? I would like more, mostly because more would mean I was hitting the ball properly (first and compressing it).

Probably medium with both driver and irons. Ok with irons but would like less with driver. If I had access to proper measuring equipment and additional funds, I would like to be able to optimize my equipment to achieve desired spin throughout the bag.

I'd say middle on my irons and slightly higher with my wedges. If I clip a wedge good (rare) I can pull it back a foot or two.

I am low spin and want more. I couldn't spin back the ball even if it had a rear view mirror and backup horn....

High spin. Some from club head speed, some from equipment, and some from an early release. Though it's improving.

I'm okay with where it is at based on results.

Yes with woods, no with irons/wedges. I want my wedges to spin, and to get low spinning irons I'd have to go with a design that is less than ideal for me.

Spin and Your Game

Low spin with all clubs according to the LM. I once recorded 800rpm’s with my driver LOL. 7 iron I think is around 5,000.
Part of me would like more spin, but with the scorings clubs, 8 and above, I don’t seem to have issues stopping the ball on the green.

#FiberLaunch

I'd say on the lower end, low to mid but it depends on the club. I have no problem generating spin with my wedges. I recently had to change irons because of spin issues. Gave up a little bit of distance but that is easy to get over when you end up repeatedly closer to the pin.

Mid to high spin and I am pretty OK with it throughout the set with the exception of the driver. The driver is the only piece of equipment that I actively look to influence the spin rates to get them lower, otherwise I'd be in the +3,000 RPM range. Love that my irons/wedges have stopping power on the greens and I generally don't try and mess with my fairways as I like to get the ball to elevate off the deck.

I wish I knew more about my spin. PhillyV insists I've got wayyyyy too much driver spin, but my irons and wedges? No clue. I definitely don't sweep the ball, but I hit a lot of knuckleballs I feel like

Back