New irons need advice

Mwinte86

Reaction score
Handicap
Just got some new Cally Steelhead XR 5-PW and now have to figure how the rest of bag is going to setup. Current setup is 3 wood, 5 wood, 4 hybrid, 5-PW, 51 and 56. (Obviously have a driver and putter.) Thinking about dropping the 5 wood and adding a 3 hybrid, a new 4 hybrid and 48, 54, and 60 degree wedges. Any advice?

All about gaps and playing to your strengths

Just got some new Cally Steelhead XR 5-PW and now have to figure how the rest of bag is going to setup. Current setup is 3 wood, 5 wood, 4 hybrid, 5-PW, 51 and 56. (Obviously have a driver and putter.) Thinking about dropping the 5 wood and adding a 3 hybrid, a new 4 hybrid and 48, 54, and 60 degree wedges. Any advice?
Sounds right and looks right to me on paper/screen. It is all about gapping at the top and bottom of the bag. This gapping is how you should build the top & bottom of your bag.

I game the Steelhead XR and think the 48 is key in order to gap the bottom of the bag. I have a mental hurdle replacing the 50, but in fairness to gapping, the 48 is the way to go.

All about the distances you are hitting them in the situations you are using them. The loft gaps appear to be workable on paper with a 6* gap (which IMO is a lot for me), but the true test is on the course. Hope you enjoy the irons and rest of setting up the bag!

I roll with just about that same setup, replacing the 3 hybrid with a Heavenwood. My set PW is 44* too, and I went with a 48* wedge to get an equal distance gap between my PW and 54*.

something more to think about beyond just gaping; How do you intend on using those clubs? you might pick a fairway metal head shape for work from the tee or good fairway lies going for par 5s in two. You might want a hybrid head shape if you intend to play the club as a longer approach out of the rough when you've had a less than stellar tee shot. or maybe you want a hollow body iron to have the iron experience with a bit more help on those longer shots....

food for thought....

Back