America's 50 Best Steakhouses

Based on the Chicago choices (out of the dozens of high quality steakhouses), hard to tell what their criteria really are for the list - wouldn't go to any of the 3 if I were going out for a great steak....not that the steaks wouldn't be excellent at those but just that there are better choices.

Also, of the top few, I've only been to Bern's - bottom line is that, while the food was good and steak quite nice in my opinion, you go to Berns to drink from their unbelievable wine list (and so well priced). Last time I was in Tampa a handful of years ago, I was there specifically to go to Berns with a group of 8 to raid the wine cellar so to speak - ate dinner there three nights in a row in fact to maximize drinking opportunities. Enjoyed the steak but am really dying to go back to drink more off their list.

If you miss the dessert room, you are missing out.

I'm kind of surprised to not see Coerper's 5 O'clock Club Steakhouse in Milwaukee not on the list.

Totally agree. I have eaten at Coerper's 5 O'clock several times and it was always top notch.

Folk's Folly in Memphis is very good as well.

I have not been to many on this list, but there are simply thousands of places to get a good steak, and some are just little hole in the wall places.

If you miss the dessert room, you are missing out.

Since we were a group of 8, we had one of the small private rooms for our dinners and as a result didn't go to the dessert room for dessert....I've heard its incredible in and of itself - will have to hit it next time.

#3 (Bern's in Tampa) is the only one of the fifty I have had the privilege of dining at. And that was a long time ago.

Been to several on the list. Currently where I'm living now, I prefer #37 on the list, The Golden Steer. I haven't been to Craftsteak yet. There used to be a place at the Hard Rock, years ago, called AJ's Steakhouse. At the time, best in town.

I've only eaten at Gene & Georgetti's in Chicago. For some reason I have not yet made it to #49 The Buckhorn Exchange here in Denver.

My favorite is not on the list and I eat there whenever in Vegas and wanting a fancy steak dinner. Smith & Wollensky

My favorite is not on the list and I eat there whenever in Vegas and wanting a fancy steak dinner. Smith & Wollensky

You ought to try Del Frisco's...IMO better than Smith & Wollensky.

I've been to precisely 1 of these - #22, John Howie Steak in Bellevue, WA. It was the best steak I've ever had in my life, but I can't say I'd go back unless it was part of a work trip like that was...cheapest steak on the menu was 50 bucks.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Will have to try Red sometime in Cleveland.
Been to the one in Miami Beach a few times. Little overrated. I'd rather have Hyde Park or Capital Grille.

Lobster Mac and Cheese was stupid good though.

You ought to try Del Frisco's...IMO better than Smith & Wollensky.
My favorite in Vegas, though craftsteak was really good too. Vegas S&W and Ruth's Cris were fine but not list worthy, IMO

Disagree with some of their choices.

St. Elmo's in Indianapolis was very meh. Not even close to that good.

Pappa's Bros in Houston was okay. A little better than meh, but also not even close.

Barclay Prime in Philadelphia is mediocre and not even close to the best steakhouse in Philly. The Prime Rib and Butcher and Singer make much better steaks by far. Better restaurants all around as well. Capitol Grill, which is a chain place makes better steak than Barclay Prime, imo.

Sorry man, but Barclay Prime is leaps and bounds better than Prime Rib and B&S. I like all of them but Barclay and Delfrisco's are probably the better places to go in Philly IMO, with B&S third. Capital Grill is more of seen and be seen place just like the Palm. Don't get me wrong, I'd go to any of them, but after going to all of them several times that's how it shakes out for me.

My favorite in Vegas, though craftsteak was really good too. Vegas S&W and Ruth's Cris were fine but not list worthy, IMO

Next time you're in town, let's hit up The Golden Steer. Old school Vegas.

Based on the their criteria they complied and impressive list. I have had better steaks at places not listed but not sure how they measure up in other categories. Great to see Berns and craft in top 10.

I'm surprised STK didn't make the list. Great wine and aged steaks. Great scene as well.

Proud to say I've been to 7 on the list from Barclay prime to dickie Brennans. Very surprised wolfgangs didn't make this list as well as quality meats. But as jb said, food is very subjective.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

Hmm...me and the GF were trying to decide where to go for Christmas dinner this year. Might have to check out Red. Never been, but she's had lunch there before at a work luncheon and said it was fantastic.

Sorry man, but Barclay Prime is leaps and bounds better than Prime Rib and B&S. I like all of them but Barclay and Delfrisco's are probably the better places to go in Philly IMO, with B&S third. Capital Grill is more of seen and be seen place just like the Palm. Don't get me wrong, I'd go to any of them, but after going to all of them several times that's how it shakes out for me.

We need to have a taste off!!

Now that sounds like a good time

I need to eat more steak. I've never been to any of these places. The best steak I've ever had was at Bob's in Dallas and that didn't make the list.
Next time your near Buffalo, try E.B. Green's. You won't be disappointed.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Next time your near Buffalo, try E.B. Green's. You won't be disappointed.

Ive been there a few times but its been over a decade since the last time. Each time I just ordered a filet mignon cooked medium and enjoyed it but my tastes have changed so I should really go back there.

I'm kind of surprised to not see Coerper's 5 O'clock Club Steakhouse in Milwaukee not on the list.

Yes! Been there a few times when I lived in Milwaukee, definitely should be on the list.

Ive been there a few times but its been over a decade since the last time. Each time I just ordered a filet mignon cooked medium and enjoyed it but my tastes have changed so I should really go back there.
Pretty sure they appeared on one of these national lists at some point.

Some guy named Tom Horan has a top 10 steakhouse list and eb greens has made it for 10 years straight. A few from this top 50 list are also on there. Dont know his criteria or anything though

Back