A new PB? or a lower cap?

A new PB? or a lower cap?

• a new PB

Votes: 45 50.0%
  • a lower handiccap

Votes: 45 50.0%

• Total voters
I have to say lower cap here but not for life I just want to always be playing consistent golf, I'm not really focused on PBs. I want my cap to be the best it can be when I am playing regularly I don't want to lose the desire for golf if my game were to slip in 10,20,30 years etc. Consistent golf would be my main goal there not chasing the time I shot Par(if that ever happens)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd want a new PB...but I'd want to keep getting them. If I can keep getting new PB's my cap will get lower....in theory. :)

It depends on how much the PB betters the old PB for me. If it's just a stroke or two I probably would go with a lower cap. But, if it got me into the 70s once I could die happy.

It depends on how much the PB betters the old PB for me. If it's just a stroke or two I probably would go with a lower cap. But, if it got me into the 70s once I could die happy.

I'd be happy too if you died happy................. so long as it wasn't me:D

Cap for me. As others have said I can definitely have a day where everything is clicking and throw a low number out there. But I want consistency to be able to do it more often than not.

Cap for me. As others have said I can definitely have a day where everything is clicking and throw a low number out there. But I want consistency to be able to do it more often than not.

agreed, with your skills the PB's will be a reachable target when your game is "on". low cap is the mark of a consistently good player.

"perfection is unattainable, perfection is strived for."

To everyone that said PB, do you think it's just going to happen? Of course this does not apply to everyone but I wonder about a few. It's not dumb luck when it happens or is it?

i owuld prefer handicap. Handicaps are consistent, whereas PB are a one hit wonder kind if deal in my mind.

A new PB for me for sure, I have been within 4 of shooting my age and would love to do that. My cap is going up because of age and there is not a lot I can do about that, so catching lightning in a bottle and going low is super exciting to me.

PB for sure. Cap doesn't mean nearly as much as breaking 80 would mean.

I would have to pose a question about that.
Suppose you broke 80 and perhaps through time even did it a couple times. However, aside from those couple great rounds the rest of your golf through this season or latest body of work has not been good nor consistent nor even average for you at all and your cap went up from your current 14 to 18? So with that, would you find it more meaningful to brake 80 or to have your cap not only go back to 14 but drop to lets even say 12? which BTW can be done without breaking 80.

No wrong answer here but I'm finding it a bit difficult to think (in a similar scenario as above) that the better overall golf through a longer body of work and efforts wouldn't be more meaningful than the one or two time PB. In one sense I'd own a lower PB yet not be as good of a player and in the other sense have a worse PB yet be the better player. My goals (and I think most peoples goals) are usually always to get better at golf. Its usually in general what most of us strive for. Especially us mid and higher cappers.

My cap lowest trend was 12.9 this season and lowest revision was 13and change. But now back up to mid 15's only 1 stroke better from where I started this season. While I would love to brake 80 in the worse way, I would much prefer that cap to be reading 12 right now instead. To me that game improvement is what I work hard towards. I'll just let the PB's fall where they may and really enjoy when they come and even brag about them. But man oh man, I want that cap through a time consuming body of work and efforts to show me I have improved. But hey, that's just me I guess:)

I'll take a new personal best, I've been locked in at 68 for my best round so far at least a dozen times and want to break the barrier. I hate that I can't get past that score.

To everyone that said PB, do you think it's just going to happen? Of course this does not apply to everyone but I wonder about a few. It's not dumb luck when it happens or is it?

I am for the lower cap as my choice but its an interesting question you have there imo.
I don't know if a new PB is dumb luck or not. I suppose some times it might be or some of that round might be. But the way I view it is I just want to get better and be a better player overall and the PB's will then simply fall when and where they may.

Perhaps one day when I am much more consistent I may then have certain PB goals (like breaking 80) who knows? Right now I'll take a 12 cap (if I was able to stay there)as a nice proud reward and let the new PB take care of itself when it comes. None of that means I wont be bragging and gloating on THP about my sub 80 round whenever it might happen. of course I will

For me, both would be big milestones, a PB would mean a round in the 70's and a low HC would be sub 10. It's a tough call. I think I'd rather be a single digit. I know that would increase my chances at a sub 80 round.

Ill take the lower cap. I put a ton of stock in my handicap and at the end of the day it tells the true story.

I would prefer a new PB it shows me my potential.

I will take both the lower cap and new PB. To me they go hand in hand. In order to get a lower cap or new PB. I need to put in the work at the range and the course, in order to shoot lower scores. If I shoot lower scores it will drive my cap down and increase my chance to get a new PB.

I wouldn't consider a PB to be a matter of dumb luck because I think it's pretty hard to keep dumb luck going for 18 holes. I voted for PB because that would mean scoring either 71 or par and that's just ridiculous for me. Lowering the handicap by a lot would be meaningful too because it would show that I'm being consistently better.

I prefer a lower cap at this point in my life. I've been working towards scratch for years and I'd love to get there someday.

brianmk24;4142165[B said:
]I wouldn't consider a PB to be a matter of dumb luck because I think it's pretty hard to keep dumb luck going for 18 holes. [/B] I voted for PB because that would mean scoring either 71 or par and that's just ridiculous for me. Lowering the handicap by a lot would be meaningful too because it would show that I'm being consistently better.

I would agree in general, however when I Look back at my PB of 82 (last year) it wasn't my better ball striking days at all. It was quite a lot of mishits but for whatever reason my mishits went forward. I had a lot of ground balls and low wormburners that day but they all continued forward and stayed well in play. And of course my shorter game was also working. But I think there was some dumb luck involved that kept me moving forward for what was a less than good day striking balls.

That said and on another note, the closest I came this year was an 85 (or maybe it was an 84) and sure it would have been great to beat that 82 but it was when my cap got down to 12.9 and 13ish that really had me feeling great about my game. I am more happy about that than I would have been to beat my 82. I didn't finish the season at 13 and had I hypothetically shot an 81 for a new PB I would still be more proud of myself if my cap was still at 13. I would trade that 81 for my 13 cap vs the 15.9 I finished with and certainly for an even lower cap too. A 79 for the first time? perhaps that would change my thought but even then probably only temporarily. lol

I'd like a lower HC. A lower HC leads to better PBs.

Cap for me. I love getting a Pb, but it is always just 3-4 strokes away from my consistent play. So as I get the cap lower my Pb will go lower.

lower cap for sure which would equal continuous personal best rounds in the long run

Personal best for me. It gives me something to shoot for every round and should result in a lower handicap.

Lower cap for me I think. To me it means consistency, which is what I really want our orbit golf game. But not Consistently bad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will go for the lower cap. I need consistency at this point in my golf game. Maybe if I had a cap in the single digits a new PB would be more important, but I'm not there yet so handicap means more to me at this point in time.

Back