Physically unable to finish a round

luvagoodshot

Reaction score
Handicap
Yes
Have you ever played a round of golf you were physically unable to finish?

Yesterday was that day for me.
I got up at 5 AM and had a good breakfast and then felt good as I began my round yesterday morning. I knew it was going to be a hot day weather wise in my area, so I took plenty of water to stay hydrated. The weather man was issuing warnings about the heat index and a warning about excessive activity in such conditions. I played the front 9 and was doing fine even though it was 90 degrees with 60% humidity. Then we began the back 9 and by the end of hole 12 I began feeling light-headed like I was near passing out. So I told the other three in my foursome that I was just going to sit out the next few holes. I'm pretty sure that if I would have continued to play at this time, I indeed would have passed out. I didn't get over my light-headedness until the 18th hole which I then felt well enough to play. This is the first time this ever happened to me.

I've tried to play through an injury and given up partway through the round. Had a pinched nerve or something in my neck and just couldn't swing the club after a few holes. Just decided to grab a drink in the bar and walk for a while.

I played yesterday as well - it was HUMID up here in the northeast yesterday. Most important thing there us to hydrate before you even get out there. Most people don't drink enough water to begin with, so once you start sweating in those conditions, things can go south quickly.

Pre-hydration is key on these really hot days. Once you are thirsty, it's already too late in most cases. You probably experienced some mild dehydration and maybe even some sensitivity to the heat. I've gone to a full sunhat and always use sunscreen when playing on most occasions and that seems to help a lot.

To answer the question: Yes, the only time I was physically unable to finish the round (play all holes) was this year at an outing where it was 40* with rain and wind. I was soaked from head to toe despite wearing rain gear and shivering and numb. Safe to say, the warm food and heat inside was very much welcome.

Living in Houston I get used to the heat and humidity but it is no joke. I play in 95+ degree heat with 80% or higher humidity. Hydration starts in the morning and continues all day long. I am too ate up with golf at the moment to not play.

Has happened a number of times. Both what happened to you and due to injury. During the summers when its ungodly hot I will play the full 18, but my focus is usually gone by #13. I'm usually drenched with sweat and exhausted from the heat, well and the shear number of swings I take.

I've had to walk off more than once due to back issues, and one time for a severe groin pull.

Pre-hydration is key on these really hot days. Once you are thirsty, it's already too late in most cases. You probably experienced some mild dehydration and maybe even some sensitivity to the heat. I've gone to a full sunhat and always use sunscreen when playing on most occasions and that seems to help a lot.

To answer the question: Yes, the only time I was physically unable to finish the round (play all holes) was this year at an outing where it was 40* with rain and wind. I was soaked from head to toe despite wearing rain gear and shivering and numb. Safe to say, the warm food and heat inside was very much welcome.

I agree 100%. As an Internist I tell patients all the time that when you get thirsty in this summer heat, it is TOO late. In my home town yesterday it was 100 deg with 108 heat index and I played 18 beginning at 7:45. I drank 40 oz of water before the round and 100 oz during the round. The other factor to consider is if you do not urinate drinking that much water you are becoming dehydrated. Drink, Drink, Drink in this heat.

Has happened a number of times. Both what happened to you and due to injury. During the summers when its ungodly hot I will play the full 18, but my focus is usually gone by #13. I'm usually drenched with sweat and exhausted from the heat, well and the shear number of swings I take.

Same here. There are times when I either shouldn’t have played or shouldn’t have stayed on the course at some point in the round due to the heat.

I had to be helped to the cart once when my knee “locked.” I had squatted behind my ball to align it for my putt when I felt it. I was able to stand up but couldn’t straighten my knee to walk.

61c15cda00bb5ff65f4f91d5585c7242.jpeg

Seems a good place to post this - infographic from the CDC.

I used to watch over motorcycle race teams at the track in August - 15+ extra pounds of leather, sitting on a 240*F bike, on asphalt without shade in full sun. Hydration is vital!

I used to walk around, point at someone, and ask (rather boldly I know) “when was the last time you peed?!” If you’re not going, you’re not drinking enough. I used to pre-hydrate for those weekends and upped my water intake a couple days ahead. Not sure if it helped, but it put me in the mind frame.

There are cooling neck wraps - might look into one. They really do help! I used to carry around a sun-brella and they work great, but I doubt you guys want to run around with a parasol...

One time I had to walk off because I couldn't get my glutes activated. The only other person I've ever seen this happen to is Tiger Woods. Haha, really though, extreme heat and humidity is no joke. It can overtake you in a hurry.

I know this thread is not actually about this but it fits the conversation. Being in the military for may years Heat exhaustion and Heat stroke prevention was beat into us regularly. You have to hydrate and start well before being in the heat. My guess is luvagoodshot had cool/clammy skin along with being lightheaded. You had heat exhaustion. The fix is exactly what you did, get out of the heat or at least direct sun and DRINK DRINK DRINK.

The next step is Heat Stroke and hopefully no golfer will ever allow themselves to reach that point. Heat stroke will kill you if not treated immediately.

I have never had to stop a round because of heat, but as someone else said, being former military I know how to prepare for it also. I hate drinking water, but force myself to do it all summer long. The Mt. Dew I love is not good for me but it is still a form of liquid so it works.

The only time I've been unable to finish a round is due to a broken finger. Didn't break it playing golf but playing football two weeks earlier and had never gone to the doctor. On hole 14 I had had enough of the pain and went to the doctor.

Had an injury on the range before a round so couldn't even start hole one once. This past weekend with the heat I never stopped playing but I could tell I was dehydrated enough that my performance suffered significantly. It's crazy how that lack of energy and hydration can make your body unable to perform tasks the way you expect. Lose focus and control and your abilities drop. Shot 37 - 48.

Yep, you had heat exhaustion.

Last time I played with JDax, I had it too. I had a decent front but I just couldn't swing the club well at all on the back. It was cart-path only and I was really laboring as I walked back and forth and up and down the mounds of the course. I went straight home and basically passed out in the bed, sleeping for about 4 hours. I didn't feel normal again until the next day.

Last edited:
Some of the resort courses around Destin, FL (and I'm sure other areas where it is hot) have carts on the course with towels that are kept in ice water. They're great. Pop one on the top of your head and drive down the fairway, you have Macgyveresque air conditioning. I should do that more often when I play at home.

Earlier this year my back gave me such an issue that I had to stop taking full swings for a few holes on the back nine. I've been battling it ever since but haven't had to quit anymore.

Have you ever played a round of golf you were physically unable to finish?

Yesterday was that day for me.
I got up at 5 AM and had a good breakfast and then felt good as I began my round yesterday morning. I knew it was going to be a hot day weather wise in my area, so I took plenty of water to stay hydrated. The weather man was issuing warnings about the heat index and a warning about excessive activity in such conditions. I played the front 9 and was doing fine even though it was 90 degrees with 60% humidity. Then we began the back 9 and by the end of hole 12 I began feeling light-headed like I was near passing out. So I told the other three in my foursome that I was just going to sit out the next few holes. I'm pretty sure that if I would have continued to play at this time, I indeed would have passed out. I didn't get over my light-headedness until the 18th hole which I then felt well enough to play. This is the first time this ever happened to me.

Combination of heat and humidity in Western NY was awful yesterday. You were probably dehydrated.

I have quit a few times when I just didn't feel right. It was like having the bonkers and everything is just kind of spinning around. I hung it up for severe shoulder pain and once had my back go out that I could barely get out of the cart. Some guy in the parking lot put my bag into the trunk and put the golf cart away for me.

Only once I can remember when I had blown out my ACL playing basketball (I knew I had done something but not the extent of it) and went to play the next morning. 1st swing on the Tee with driver and I went down, I actually tried to hit the second shot and went down again. That was the end of the day right there.

Went the next day to the Doctor and found out the ACL had snapped, complete rebuild came a month or so later and about 2 years to get back to semi normal.

Last week I injured my left leading hand. Had to sit out 3 holes. Still waiting on MRI to be scheduled.

Yep, you had heat exhaustion.

Last time I played with JDax, I had it too. I had a decent front but I just couldn't swing the club on the back. It was cart-path only and I was really laboring as I walked back and forth and up and down the mounds of the course. I went straight home and basically passed out in the bed, sleeping for about 4 hours. I didn't feel normal again until the next day.
That's scary, brother. Is it going to change your strategy in the future?

61c15cda00bb5ff65f4f91d5585c7242.jpeg

Seems a good place to post this - infographic from the CDC.

I used to watch over motorcycle race teams at the track in August - 15+ extra pounds of leather, sitting on a 240*F bike, on asphalt without shade in full sun. Hydration is vital!

I used to walk around, point at someone, and ask (rather boldly I know) “when was the last time you peed?!” If you’re not going, you’re not drinking enough. I used to pre-hydrate for those weekends and upped my water intake a couple days ahead. Not sure if it helped, but it put me in the mind frame.

There are cooling neck wraps - might look into one. They really do help! I used to carry around a sun-brella and they work great, but I doubt you guys want to run around with a parasol...

After looking over the symptoms on the chart which you posted, I believe the symptoms which are listed for heat stroke best describe the symptoms I was experiencing during my round yesterday. The only symptom listed under heat stroke that didn't actually happen was that I didn't pass out, but am certain I was on the very verge of doing so. All the other symptoms actually did come into play. I honestly believe one more hole and I certainly would have passed out.
Thank you for posting that chart

I have never not finished. That said I played a very early spring round (40ish* F), and went straight from car to tee. Second tee box i yanked a muscle in my back. Played through the pain. spend the rest of the weekend eating advil lying on the family room floor. Not my brightest move...

Both of my knees need replacing but I am holding out as long as I can. But a couple of years ago I had to bail out on a round on the back nine. I hit a drive and my left knee gave out on the follow through. I just got in the cart and drove the rest of the round so my wife could finish.

Several years ago I had to bail out on the 3rd hole when for some reason I had a back spasm that would not release. I don't have a bad back so I have no idea what caused it, but I wouldn't wish that on anyone but an enemy.

Back