A new PB? or a lower cap?

• a new PB

Votes: 45 50.0%
  • a lower handiccap

Votes: 45 50.0%

• Total voters
a good amount of votes on this topic. I must admit I thought HC would have lead the way by a decent margin. Its interesting to me that its not the case here at THP. Its just that in my tenure here at THP things like improvement and being more consistent have always been a high priority among many of us and even though a new PB can certainly be a sign of improvement its the HC being lower that better proves the state of ones game overall so its just a little strange (for lack of a better word) is all. Interesting imo anyway.

I caught lightning in a bottle with my PB, it will probably be a while before I catch it. I want to see myself become a better golfer. I guess both of these would measure this to some degree, but I'd rather see the handicap lower.

Right now, new PB. Current PB is +1 73 so a new PB would be either par or under!

Right now, new PB. Current PB is +1 73 so a new PB would be either par or under!

i have no doubt you will cross this off your list very soon.

I went with a lower cap. My thinking is if I continue to lower my cap pb's will follow.

Well, I want both, but I voted lower cap. For me they are connected

I'll take a lower cap. A new PB would be great, but at this point I feel like a new PB that was an all of a sudden thing, whereas lowering my index is a byproduct of steady improvement.

I find that a personal best allows you to believe in your game. A PB means that you hung in there and ground it out. Being -2 coming into the final holes and not blowing up does more for my game than the low hp. I guess they sort of go hand in hand but I'll take the new PB.my new PB this year was a -5 on a league night. It was a launching pad for the best year yet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Anyone can catch fire and shoot a PB. A lower cap shows continuous improvement leading to more often PB.
They do tend to feed into one another.

Lower cap for me which ultimately means more consistent play. Every squirrel has the chance to find a nut and get hot during a round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can still tell you almost every shot of my PB and it was over 10 years ago.

But other than the number I can't tell you anything worth remembering from when my index was at its lowest.

So PB for me.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

PB for me. I'd be rattling it off like I was Johnny Miller talking about Oakmont

I really do care about my index. And it's the highest it's been in a few years right now. So I'd love to have it lower. However, my next new PB would be under par. That's such a huge milestone for a golfer that I think is take that at this point.

I find that a personal best allows you to believe in your game. A PB means that you hung in there and ground it out. Being -2 coming into the final holes and not blowing up does more for my game than the low hp. I guess they sort of go hand in hand but I'll take the new PB.my new PB this year was a -5 on a league night. It was a launching pad for the best year yet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

The bold sentence above is what has the exact opposite meaning imo. Its the lower cap imo that makes one believe in his game. That's the one of which through collective better play via a nice body of work over time causes one to believe in themselves because its a much more consistent thing. As a 15 capper, if I shot (as wonderful as it would be) a 79 :).......but my cap was still at 15 all it means to me is that I had one really great round. Its the collective better played body of work imo that makes one believe more about his game.

The bold sentence above is what has the exact opposite meaning imo. Its the lower cap imo that makes one believe in his game. That's the one of which through collective better play via a nice body of work over time causes one to believe in themselves because its a much more consistent thing. As a 15 capper, if I shot (as wonderful as it would be) a 79 :).......but my cap was still at 15 all it means to me is that I had one really great round. Its the collective better played body of work imo that makes one believe more about his game.
Early in my playing career even though I had all the tools to shoot low I would self destruct on final holes or find a way to some how blow it. I felt like I was never going to get over the hump. What I had to learn is to be comfortable being under par and shooting that PB gave me the confidence that not only could I do it, but that I could do it again and again. Not sure if I'm explaining myself right of if it makes any sence. If you don't crash through that glass ceiling I myself would plateau.
Collective better play is a huge part of becoming a better player, but that steady play left me stuck.

Early in my playing career even though I had all the tools to shoot low I would self destruct on final holes or find a way to some how blow it. I felt like I was never going to get over the hump. What I had to learn is to be comfortable being under par and shooting that PB gave me the confidence that not only could I do it, but that I could do it again and again. Not sure if I'm explaining myself right of if it makes any sence. If you don't crash through that glass ceiling I myself would plateau.
Collective better play is a huge part of becoming a better player, but that steady play left me stuck.

It does make sense to me fwiw so the explanation is fine. It certainly and eventually goes hand in hand because the lower we shoot more often, the lower our caps get. I can agree about the getting stuck part. But that's the one place imo when this topic changes views imo. But lowering a cap and then also getting to the place of being stuck usually takes quite a long time. One can lower his cap and eventually needs to reach the next place which of course then requires new PB's and average scoring to also collectively stay close enough to it. So yes , I can see your view (if I got it right lol). But that place one reaches where (at any level) he is eventually stuck is imo only happening every so often hence the term "eventually". Lowering the cap works well for long periods in between those increments of being stuck because its usually about consistency especially for mid and higher cappers. But this is why there really is no right or wrong answers for this topic.

Especially for one at your ability level whos already more than proven to themselves who/what they are golf wise vs most all other players. I can see new PB's certainly feeling as though a new "you" is born. lol

Last edited:
I chose a lower handicap, but it would have to be significantly lower, not just a fractional improvement. It would be more indicative of consistent good play than a PB possibly being just catching lightning in a bottle.

This thread just made me realize that back on November 3rd I achieved one of my long time goals, which was to shoot my age. I shot a 68 with 16 pars and two birdies on a par 70 course. I guess that counts even though it is not a par 72. My PB is a 67 (-5) at age 65.

Back