"New and Shiny" or "Stick to What Works"?

"New and Shiny" or "Stick to What Works"?

• New and Shiny

Votes: 12 36.4%
  • Stick with What Works

Votes: 15 45.5%
  • Other

Votes: 6 18.2%

• Total voters
I can agree with the majority of results is based on your swing and your mental game, but that being said, new and shiny equipment has alwayssssssssssss boosted my confidence and commitment to hitting shots, and I almost always score better on new/different clubs than my own

I have a huge problem with new and shiny, but it goes in phases. I will constantly tweak and upgrade my bag, watches (another hobby), among others until I reach a happy place and then the desire to tinker fades for a while. With golf my previous set lasted me for about 10 years before I really got the itch to upgrade this season and I have turned over my entire bag, including the bag lol. Hoping that should be good for now. Time to practice!

I think you need to upgrade between 3 & 5 years. It will take at least a month for a low handicapper, a couple months for a mid handicapper, and a few months for a high handicapper to get used to new clubs and figure out what to do with them. If you wait 3-5 years you will definitely see a change in either forgiveness or distance due to technology gains. I think for someone like me especially switching every year would cause more problems due to adjustments than the technology would help. So I guess stick with what works long enough for the tech to get sufficiently out in front of you to notice a difference. A great example imo is that switching from an Epic to a Rogue driver probably didn't make much sense. Switching from a Fusion to a Rogue probably did. The Epic is kind of a jailbreak version of an XR16 while the Rogue looks like a jailbreak version of a Fusion.

I agree with this except for the adjustment period. If the club's are properly fit, there is no adjustment period. When I went from my J40 CB to my current Z745's, it was go zone from the start.

I'm all for sticking with what works. But one must ask the question, how do you know if what you have works, unless you get something new and shiny to compare it to?

For me, only Golf bags , headcovers, balls, shoes and apparels can be new and shiny.

Clubs no no ....

Last edited:
Back