The 2015 Grandaddy - Chance Of A Lifetime

In my last 10 rounds ive averaged 29 putts per round, up and down conversion percentage is at 60% and my sand save percentage is right at 50% which is low for me. Usually a greenside bunker shot is one of my favorite to hit and one of the easier ones in golf for me. My putting has been the biggest improvement around the greens imo.

29 putts/round is impressive man. What kind of GIR's are you seeing per round if you don't mind me asking?

In my last 10 rounds ive averaged 29 putts per round, up and down conversion percentage is at 60% and my sand save percentage is right at 50% which is low for me. Usually a greenside bunker shot is one of my favorite to hit and one of the easier ones in golf for me. My putting has been the biggest improvement around the greens imo.

You and me need to have a chat about greenside bunkers out in Cali if you don't mind. I'd love to learn how to make them easier.

29 putts/round is impressive man. What kind of GIR's are you seeing per round if you don't mind me asking?
Bad. ive been hovering around 35% all year. Thats been my main focus these last three months. Picking better targets when hitting approach shots

Bad. ive been hovering around 35% all year. Thats been my main focus these last three months. Picking better targets when hitting approach shots

Thanks man, just curious as I know that my putts per round tends to trend up (naturally) when the GIR does.

You and me need to have a chat about greenside bunkers out in Cali if you don't mind. I'd love to learn how to make them easier.
Its simple. Dig in, keep your hands low, open the face and blast out. But im sure there may be someone a little more qualified than me to discuss that with once we get to ECPC #RFC

Thanks man, just curious as I know that my putts per round tends to trend up (naturally) when the GIR does.
Yep im the same way. I can putt my butt off to save par but when its for birdie they dont drop as much haha

Its simple. Dig in, keep your hands low, open the face and blast out. But im sure there may be someone a little more qualified than me to discuss that with once we get to ECPC #RFC

RFC will place heavy emphasis on:

1) weight staying forward - even to the point where it feels awkward if you're not used to doing it
2) drawing a line 2 inches behind and in front of ball and creating that dollar bill sweep at those lines

RFC will place heavy emphasis on:

1) weight staying forward - even to the point where it feels awkward if you're not used to doing it
2) drawing a line 2 inches behind and in front of ball and creating that dollar bill sweep at those lines
Ya at the Gauntlet he stepped in the bunker and had THPJrod in there with him. After a couple quick tips JRod was throwing darts at pins. It was really something awesome to watch. Plus, both the PM grind and MD3 are awesome out of the bunkers

Ya at the Gauntlet he stepped in the bunker and had THPJrod in there with him. After a couple quick tips JRod was throwing darts at pins. It was really something awesome to watch. Plus, both the PM grind and MD3 are awesome out of the bunkers
If you get a chance to work with RFC in the bunker, do it! He stepped in to help me at the Gauntlet, and just one little thing he pointed out helped me a ton.

I wonder how Jman's lessons have been this week haha Ok kids you all get an extra study hall this week!

I wonder how Jman's lessons have been this week haha Ok kids you all get an extra study hall this week!
Hahahaha, nah, I've lectured 6 hours a day Mon through Wed, but it'd test days the rest of the way.

My sand game isn't good, mostly because I don't have anywhere to practice it, and the quality of bunkers around here are pretty awful most of the year so when I get into decent bunkers with fluffy sand, I don't even know what to do; I'm hoping RFC can help with that if he's around this year.

My wedge game around the greens (but not in the sand) is much improved at this point. The last several rounds I've had several up and downs, and it wasn't because of stellar putting but because my proximity to the hole after my chip was good. I've been working on this and I hope it's even better next week.

Putting has improved for me but is still not a strength. I average about 34 putts per round (that has been trending down a little lately), with a mixture of 3 putts and 1 putts, but I typically 2 putt a green. Another area of focus leading into next week, and I'm hoping finding the right putter will help this as well.

Neb, go to YouTube and search "Roger Cleveland Bunker" (leave off the Effin for this one). There are a couple great videos with Roger and another fellow that will give you an idea of what RFC’s bunker approach is all about. Even after last year I'd forgotten what Roger said, I went back and reviewed these videos and got myself back on track. Check it out (then dominate)!!

Grandaddians,
Question of the day. How strong are you at or around the green? Not how strong do you think you are, or how strong you think you will be, but looking over those last 10 rounds, are you making putts, are you getting up and down, is your bunker play sound, etc? Tell us about your greenside and on the green play.

Great question Josh. Around the green I am a fairly decent player. I struggled a bit in Cali, as the sand is much different than I am used to, but I plan on making use of the bunker at ECPC and hopefully RFC to help me with my bunker play.

As for putts, I hover somewhere around 32 putts a round. It is a pretty decent part of my game, but like everything, could absolutely use improvement. With the below freezing weather we have been having I am working on putting on my birdie ball quite a bit.

Grandaddians,
Question of the day. How strong are you at or around the green? Not how strong do you think you are, or how strong you think you will be, but looking over those last 10 rounds, are you making putts, are you getting up and down, is your bunker play sound, etc? Tell us about your greenside and on the green play.

Putting has not been great lately. Admittedly I've been using some putter shapes that I'm not 100% a fan of and greens have been bumpy as can be up here. Short game has been above avg lately which is good. Need to figure out the grass around the greens out there, because as you saw in FL, there are short game shots from certain surfaces that kill me. Bunker play went through a little funk at the end of Sept-October, but hit some real good ones my last 2-3 rounds. Been working on playing some running shots, and we shall see how they play out next week.

Grandaddians,

Actually, I feel really good about my greenside play, better than anything else which is a new thing for me, super comfortable with a wedge in my hand right now. Putting has been streaky, but my pace has been really nice and thats what I lean on the most. Out of the sand, I've practiced as much as I can, but there are NO bunkers around here that can replicate what I will see in a few days.

Grandaddians,

Over the last 10 rounds my putting average is at 32.4 per round. I don't have too many 3 putts, and don't drop too many long ones either. I feel pretty comfortable on the putting surface. My bunker play is hit or miss. Probably more miss than hit. I'm definitely more comfortable chipping out of the rough than in a bunker. I've really been working on short game and getting up and down, but still the area I could improve the most and probably reason my handicap is as high as it is. Last 10 rounds probably get up and down 20% of the time. 70% of the time, it's up, and then 2 putt. I was chunking or thinning lots of chips earlier this year, but I've got that worked out to where I'm confident I'll make solid contact every time, still working on getting it close to the pin.

Grandaddians,

Around the green is normally my strongest part of my game. The PM grind has made getting out of the sand for me incredibly easy. Bunkers where I play tend to be a mix of fluffy and compacted. Not comfortable with my putter at the moment(hate the length of it) so I typically 2 putt every green which kills my up and downs

Over the last 10 rounds my putting average is at 32.4 per round. I don't have too many 3 putts, and don't drop too many long ones either. I feel pretty comfortable on the putting surface. My bunker play is hit or miss. Probably more miss than hit. I'm definitely more comfortable chipping out of the rough than in a bunker. I've really been working on short game and getting up and down, but still the area I could improve the most and probably reason my handicap is as high as it is. Last 10 rounds probably get up and down 20% of the time. 70% of the time, it's up, and then 2 putt. I was chunking or thinning lots of chips earlier this year, but I've got that worked out to where I'm confident I'll make solid contact every time, still working on getting it close to the pin.

That is pretty decent putts per round avg. Nice going.

Grandaddians,

Of what you listed, bunker is the biggest question mark. I've had rounds where it's a non issue & others where it was a challenge. Some due to inconsistent sand, but it's still on me to hit the shots.

Around the greens and putting I feel good. I'm putting very well & when they aren't going in, I'm burning edges.

Grandaddians,

Outside of my last full 18 I have felt great around and on the greens. I had some trouble with some really long putts but still get really confident inside of 15 feet with walking away with a 2 putt no problem. Outside of that round besides a hole here and there I have felt like a 2 putting machine the last month. I feel I have become way more versatile around the green over the last month or so using irons around the green for bump and runs and not just relying on a wedge for the hope hop and stop. Up and downs have seen an uptick but nothing mind blowing, I just feel like I'm making smarter plays that have a much lower chance of a disaster result. If I'm short sided and have to carry a bunker my focus is on the green so I can putt, if I go for the perfect shot and fall short by a few feet too much damage has been done.

Sand is a tough opinion to travel with IMO. I have felt good out of the sand but I am 100% sure that the sand I play around here is nowhere near what I'll see in Cali. I will say that I feel I have been successful in the past when I have played courses with much nicer fluffier sand. As opposed to the dense traps I usually see.

All said and told I feel great about these parts of the game, and when your analyzing your game this closely it is easy to get discouraged and overanalyze and feel like it's no good. We have the passion and drive for this event and we obviously don't want to disappoint, we want the belt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 2015 Grandaddy - Chance Of A Lifetime

Woke up to a light dusting of snow on the ground this morning. Course I was planning on practicing during lunch break was closed, so I stopped by a park and hit some balls off my little hitting mat just to get some swings in. But man, it will be so nice to actually hit balls in some warmer weather. Felt like this today:
696a23a8c8ca65a41945c409b5717541.jpg

How impressive? It's better than the average Tour pro. (Tour average putts per round is just over 29.)

Beware the #LawOfAverages rebound!

This Law of Averages outfitted Ethan scares me.

Bring back Cowboy Ethan.

Back