Your shot of the YEAR, 2015 edition

hey I see the 441 tree way down there in the distance

Played in a 4-man scramble to help raise money for extracurricular activities at the VA that my granddad is very involved with. He used to be a clubmaker and was very influential on getting me started in golf. He's confined to a wheelchair now after a stroke and other health issues, but he still loves to talk golf. I was in a group with Just_Hacking and T0AD and we were coming up the par 5 18th and had a blind pitch over a bunker to the green. My granddad and grandmother were both watching us come up 18 and I told T0AD and JH that I better hit a good one with him watching. Probably a 30 yard pitch shot with my 56* MD3 W Grind and when I hit it I knew it would be good. Walked up the hill and it was less than a foot away. My granddad had a big ol smile on his face and that pretty much made my golfing year. I'll never forget that shot.

Fun thread.

08/08/2015 at Liberty Lake Golf Course, Par 3 124yd. 16th hole straight downhill and into a bit of a breeze.
I hit a 3/4 PW to 8 inches. The ball hit just past the hole and drew back to 8 inches for bird.

IMG_1397_zpso5rrasw6.jpg

Posted this in another thread... in hindsight I hit better shots this year but none that were more timely.

Was out for a solo round and caught up with a foursome. They ignored me on the 10th tee box and took their time despite the fact that there were no groups ahead of them. I spent the next two holes waiting on them, fixed their ball marks on the green and had to remove their sunflower seed shells from my putting line on both holes.

When we got to 12 (a par 3) they finally waved me up after they had all hit. One of them says, and I'm quoting - "Go ahead and play thru but don't f$#% it up and make us wait for you."

I dropped a 7i to 10 feet (inside all their tee shots), gave him a smile and a "Hey, look at that, I didn't f$#% it up" which was returned with awkward silence, two putted for par and moved on.

I'm not a very competitive cat but it felt SO good to stand there, envision the shot I wanted, then pull it off and stick it right in "Don't f$#% it up" guy's face.

I hot a few that stand out but my best would be:

9th hole at Tijeras Creek Golf club, playing 390 slightly up hill into the wind. I hit a horrible push cut right and short of the fairway bunker lining the right side of the fairway about 182 yards off the tee, ball sitting up in the freshly over seeded rye grass and about a foot above my feet, I have a small tree about 20 yards in front of me which really isn't an issue but two very large trees directly in my line to the green, sitting 208 to center of green. I pulled my new M1 5 wood and hit a beautiful high draw right over the big trees towards the middle of the green. I honestly thought it clipped a tree on the way down but when I got to the green my ball was right middle of the green about one foot from the ball mark and about 20 ft from the hole. Two putt for par!! This one stands out more for me because its not one of the easiest holes on the course for me I am usually short because of the uphill and wind you can't really feel from the fairway.

Pulled my drive into trouble behind this tree on the 410 yd Par 5 10th hole, leaving 145 yds to the green. I had two choices: chip out onto the fairway and take my medicine or try a risk-reward shot. I wasn't having that great of a round, so I tried the risk-reward shot.

I played an 8 iron back in my stance and took a stronger grip than normal, squared the club head to target, and aimed to the trees on the right. This is the result.

10th%20Hole%20Spanaway_zpsg8ubxbbm.jpg

One putt 18' for eagle.

Your shot of the YEAR, 2015 edition

Update prior post.
Today, 10th hole, 133yds into a light wind, holed out!! (For par)
2fd9ec9461db479772d5260c47d33635.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Update prior post.
Today, 10th hole, 133yds into a light wind, holed out!! (For par)
2fd9ec9461db479772d5260c47d33635.jpg

And you were worried about yoga today....

A 3W from about 170 that landed 4 feet from the pin on a par 5. Over a big chasm, into which I have dropped many golf balls. Choked the par putt.

I've had a good number of high quality shots this year, but I think my favourite memory of a great shot came a couple weeks ago.

Playing with friends turned brothers, I got on the Devil's Delight (El Campeon, Mission Inn, FL) in two shots -- A pretty big accomplishment for me, and while I didn't make the long eagle putt, I managed to get down in two putts for birdie which was really cool.

Here's the location of my second shot, which ended up on the right portion of the green. Can't remember how far I had, but I think it was in the realm of 255.

20151108_114935.jpg
I can barely see that green.

I can barely see that green.

It's a great hole. Dogleg goes right off the tee, and then back to the left as you approach the green. I knew I had to be right to get a good shot at the green (although my stock shot is a draw so I had more room than most I'd argue).... Where I am standing when I took this pic is actually the back tee box of the previous hole, giving me a generous lie. I started it at the right side and it stayed nearly dead straight the whole way. It was a ton of fun.

Not sure if a scramble counts, but I had a perfect drive on a par 5. Hole was 544 from our tees. Goes straight out to wide landing area that ends about 230 or so off the tee. At the end of the landing area, the fairway narrows to about 20 yards and goes down hill from there. There are three little 'rollercoasters' that go down. It goes about 30 yards down, 20 yards flat, 30 down, 20 flat, etc. You can't see the ball once it goes down, but I must have hit it perfectly and it ended up at the bottom of the hill about 185 from the green. Then proceeded to hit a perfect cut 5 over and around some trees to the back right pin to about 2-3 feet for a kick in eagle. Not a bad first hole for a scramble.

Not sure if a scramble counts, but I had a perfect drive on a par 5. Hole was 544 from our tees. Goes straight out to wide landing area that ends about 230 or so off the tee. At the end of the landing area, the fairway narrows to about 20 yards and goes down hill from there. There are three little 'rollercoasters' that go down. It goes about 30 yards down, 20 yards flat, 30 down, 20 flat, etc. You can't see the ball once it goes down, but I must have hit it perfectly and it ended up at the bottom of the hill about 185 from the green. Then proceeded to hit a perfect cut 5 over and around some trees to the back right pin to about 2-3 feet for a kick in eagle. Not a bad first hole for a scramble.

Of course it counts. This is about your best SHOT, not your best round!

Sounds like a heck of a shot (alongside the approach as well).

Teed off with a 5w and hit it a little fat with a little fade and ended up exactly where I didn't want to be. From where my next shot was to the green green was around a 30' drop in elevation and all I had a look at were trees and water. I did what I shouldn't do and I went for it with a 22* hybrid. Opened up my stance, opened the club face as much as I could, pictured the shot in my head and went for it. I hit a monster fade like a drew up that started just left of the trees took off right and then I lost sight of it. Headed to the green and saw my ball just short on the fringe by the sand trap on the right side of the green. Got up and down to save par. It's not the way I should play and I'd probably only execute that shot 1 out of 100 time at most, but somehow I pulled it off that day.

Three chip ins in the last two rounds. The best was yesterday on a Par 4. Tiered green with my ball off the back on the lower tier about 50 feet from the hole. The pin was on the upper tier too close to the right fringe for a putt. I had to chip the ball along the fringe because there was a big right to left break. The ball hit along the fringe and rolled right in the hole. Everyone was in shock. It was for a birdie. In fact all three chip ins were for birdie.

For me probably a 60 yard aproach in front of my grandpa, cousin and a friend a few months back. Hit a horrible drive on a barely 300 yard par 4 into the tree line and was able hit it out to the fw to about 60 yards, I then hit a perfect feeling 3/4 swing 58° to a dead stop 1 foot from the hole and was able to save a par. I know its not the most impressive story here but to hit a good shot and turn it into a good save like that in front of my grandpa makes it special to me.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I left work 4 hours early to get a round in before darkness set in. It also was the start of a mini vacation of sorts to just play golf. I'm driving home on my 35 mile jaunt and some lady t-bones me. I get home and I'm still a little hot under the collar and my face feels numb. My back isn't feeling the best either. Might as well throw more money down the drain again for other peoples mistakes. I finally said the hell with and went to play some golf. I get to #4 par 3 and it is playing 130 yards. I hit and it feels and looks really nice. It seems like an eternity for the ball to get there from the elevated tee box. The ball takes two little hops and goes in for my first hole-in-one. My best shot and my best round all rolled into one. Take that t-bone lady!

Rush creek number 13. The fairway ends and there is a small creek separating it from the green with some brush on the bank by the green. My second shot landed just short of the green barely out of the bank. Backwards and left handed I hit it to within a foot and I saved par, still can't believe it worked.

If the water shot at the Minneapolis outing worked that would have been it for sure though.

I forgot one, but will make it an Honorable Mention. The Twelfth at Black Creek in TN, I was in a best ball match play in pairs and we were all square. It was a long par 4 and I hit my tee shot right. I was in a good amount of rough, so instead of trying to reach the green, I settled for laying up about 85 yards away. One guy from the other team was out of the hole, but another guy was 10 feet from the hole laying 3.

The green was elevated and sloped away from me, with a drop off to water on the left. Most of the green, including the pin, was also blind from where I was. The pin was conveniently on the left side of the green as well. I still liked how the shot set up and felt like I could get the ball to run to the hole a little and give myself a chance to match putts if the other guy made his. The ball was above my feet though, so took my 56* wedge, adjusted my stance and focused on getting the ball in the air. The shot felt great and the ball went high, then came down out of sight but looked like it was towards the pin. It landed 2 inches from the hole and stopped for a tap in par. The other guy missed his putt and we went 1 up.

I liked that I was able to hit a shot like that in match play, just felt a little better.

My most memorable recent shot was at the Up and Down event this year. My first ever THP event and my first time with any THP member. Hole #1, playing with 2 THP guys and Adam Sheldon from Cleveland/Srixon. JB is in the cart watching us. I think I tee off 3rd. Let me just say that Adam and I were the only ones that did not go OOB. What a relief to get that first shot out of the way!

The setup. 18th hole, True Blue, first round of the Legacy tournament. We are 1up heading into 18. I play conservative, and then get a little crazy on the 2d shot, but I'm on the green. First putt is woefully short, probably 6-8 feet. I get a stroke on the hole, my competition has a pretty straight forward putt for birdie.

Shot of the year. I make the putt for par net-birdie. It was just so rewarding, given the amount of work I had put in on making that length of putt. It was really the pressure surrounding the putt that makes it my shot of the year. But either way, it's one that I will never forget.

~Rock

Mine would be a series of 2 shots both on long par 5's. First one was at Point Roberts GC. Hamered the drive,5 iron to about 15 feet. Just missed the putt for eagle . Next one was at a PNW gathering at the Home course. Hit the 3 wood pure, had a hybrid uphill then downhill to a blind green. With fellow PNW onlookers I hit the hybrid pure and ended up 5 yards from the front of the green. I just missed the eagle putt too. Had other tee shot and approaches but these top this by a bit

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

The setup. 18th hole, True Blue, first round of the Legacy tournament. We are 1up heading into 18. I play conservative, and then get a little crazy on the 2d shot, but I'm on the green. First putt is woefully short, probably 6-8 feet. I get a stroke on the hole, my competition has a pretty straight forward putt for birdie.

Shot of the year. I make the putt for par net-birdie. It was just so rewarding, given the amount of work I had put in on making that length of putt. It was really the pressure surrounding the putt that makes it my shot of the year. But either way, it's one that I will never forget.

~Rock
This putt was Money with a capital 'M'. An absolute dagger. Great memory!

For me, it's gotta be the ~12 foot putt for eagle that I made on the 16th hole at the Home Course with THPers watching, after I got aboard the green in 2 with a flawless 3 hybrid from 210 yards out. Only eagle I've had all year, and the first one in several years I've made on the green rather than with a fly in. Awesome!

My shot of the year was completely an accident due to weather. #8 at Stonebrooke requires 180-200 yard carry depending on where the tees are at. (Which typically means a hybrid as your club of choice). There was a significant headwind that I figured driver was my only play. I hit the shot and it ended up about 80 yards from the pin...I birdied the hole....which was my only birdie of this darn hole all year after numerous attempts. .
17f91fe64dba452d8b0bb1bfd699593d.jpg

Back