Halfway through 2018...are you closer to achieving your golf goals?

mr.hicksta

Golf->Tacos->Gainz
Reaction score
It's the 'official' first day of summer and we're a little over halfway through 2018 so I took a look at my golf goals to assess where I currently stand. My two goals for 2018 are:

- Get to a 5 index and maintain it
- Shoot even par

Taking an honest look at where I stand I think I'm actually going the other direction, but I'm confident I'll achieve both of these goals eventually. How about you? Are you moving the right direction? Are you stagnating? Going backwards? I'm interested to hear where everyone else is at!

My goal was to break 90 and work on doing it consistently. I’ve come close but I’m confident I can do it before the year ends. Lessons have helped quite a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

my goal was to reverse the trend i saw at the end of last year, where my play was getting progressively worse. the handicap is leveling out, and i hope to see it come back down. if i can get my driving sorted out, i'll be exactly where i want to be because everything else will fall into place.

My unofficial goals for this season were to shoot an 85 and maintain an 18 handicap. I'm new to having a handicap, and I estimated it to be around 21 when the season started, which was really close. After a couple strong weeks in a row (scores of 93, 92, 46, 89, and 88 in that order), my handicap quickly dropped to 18.3. But I'm trending in the wrong direction at the moment (18.9...). My distance and ball striking have improved a lot this season though, so I'm confident I'll hit these goals. And once I do, I'll set some new ones.

My goals were simple this year it was to play more golf. I am coming off a serious illness and some back issues the previous two years before that. So far I have done that. I have 15 scores posted this year. Established my first handicap in 7 years and played 4 rounds last weekend in a member guest. My back is still a little wonky but I was able to get through the weekend and played some decent golf.

I gave up my membership at a club 7 or 8 years ago due to chasing my kids around. My youngest just graduated from high school and this is more golf than I have played at home since then. It is starting to make me think about a membership somewhere again. I miss the convenience of being a member.

I am getting there, handicap is going in right direction and travels much better. I still think I can get to a 5 this year. One goal accomplished already by beating a guy I play with about once a month. ( beat him on his home course once and a neutral course once) :clapp:

Still need to shoot par of better.

Ehhhh... Not really but I'm still having fun on the course! Wanted to get below 6 handicap (started at 8.7 and now 7.3), but haven't been putting too many real good rounds out there. Been busy this spring but will hopefully have more time for practice and such for the summer and fall.

Yeah, I am. Main goal this summer was break 70, I've put up three under par rounds this summer so far which equals as many as I've had since I've been playing the game. Been on the cusp of sixties, and it's going to happen in the next month and a half I think.

HCP is down to 4.3 which is my low ever as well.

More than all that though, I'm playing consistent, and smart, golf. And having a blast.

Goals for me are to
-break 80 for the second time (first time ever was right before the new year haha)
-bring my average down to 85
-get to single digits (9.4 or lower)

I broke 80 last week woohoo!
Average is down to 86.4 from 89
Handicap was going the wrong way initially as I started as a 10.4, went up to 11.5 and now I’m back down to 10.7. Soooo doing well on my goals :)

Break 80 at my home course (143 slope rating). Check, completed this twice in June.
Single digit handicap. Check, 8.6 after last revision.
Sub 6 handicap. Still in progress.

Ive never had a handicap before so my first goal was to establish a handicap. (Which I have now done)
My next goal was to get my handicap in the low single digits and see if I could keep it there consistently. (Currently trending at a 5.9)
I also was to shoot level par this year. The best I have ever shot is 1 over 73. (I feel like being a member at a club this year will help me drastically by playing the same course a bunch)
Lastly, I want to quit making golf a grind and to have fun while getting better. Last year felt like a major grind to get consistent and it sucked some fun out of the game. I can gladly say that even though I'm playing a whole lot more golf this year and practicing quite a bit more it has all been a ton of fun and I haven't felt myself 'grinding' yet this year.

Great post and awesome to see everyone's responses.

I don't have any firmly set goals but I've started to build in a regular practice routine and I'm definitely seeing improvement, especially with my short game.

About the only real goal I have is playing as much as humanly possible without getting fired or divorced :act-up:

i need to go find the thread and see what i said. I have not played as much as i would have liked i know that.

My primary golf goal this year was simple: play again. I was close to selling the equipment and moving on. Thankfully better thinking (and health) prevailed. I've established regular practice and get in a few rounds per week. In that sense, everything else is icing on the cake. But the icing has been good. I was very hesitant about competition for some reason and that faded. One tournament so far, and more will come. I was hesitant to get back involved with the THP community. I'm back and loving it. The game itself is about the same. However, my attitude and approach are both much improved, and that's starting to show dividends in improvement.

I could set more formal goals for the rest of the year, but I am enjoying the organic approach. The one thing I will focus on is to develop my game so that it travels more consistently. A more robust playing base is more important to me right now than things like lowering my handicap or shooting a PB.

My goals when I restarted playing this year were pretty nebulous: relearn to play and get better.

Just went past the halfway point on my lessons. And I’ve gone from my wonky leftover softball swing that sliced impressively, the same swing for every club, to four different types of swings for the different types of clubs.

Not worried about score too much. What I pay attention to is total number of balls lost, fairways hit, and average putts per hole. It’s hard to hit a GIR from the reds right now so I’ll pay attention to that next year.

Last two rounds I had 3 pars, lost only 1 ball (between the ticks and the copperheads and the poison ivy, if it’s in the woods it’s considered done for), and had 65% fairways hit. So I’m doing okay despite all the swing shenanigans!

Getting closer to my goals. Not quite there but I have seen a great improvement in my game. Mostly my short game, last few years it's been a real weakness for me. Over the winter I dedicated most of my time for practicing the short game.

Sent from my H3123 using Tapatalk

I was one handicap revision short of completing my goal for the year so hopefully next year I can make it happen.

My goal was to get to a 6 and have achieve a 12 instead. It has come back down to 9 but my ball striking was terrible for awhile. I think my short game is good enough for a 5-6 but still need to work some more on ball striking.

My goal is a 9.9 handicap or better coming from an 11.9. I'm down to 10.4 so I have a bit more work to do but I'm headed in the right direction.

I feel like my game has been going backward this year and I'm nowhere near where I want to be. On the plus side that means I have nowhere but up to go and still have plenty of time to get there!

I signed up for a membership at a course near my home and after 12 rounds, I am 4 away from hitting in the high 80’s! After going through 6 lessons and consistent range time I feel I am halfway to that goal of cutting out a handful of mis hits and bad shots. I’m enjoying the grind though and I feel I’m a few months away from my goals.

My goal this year is to get down to a single digit handicap. Playing with a shoulder injury had me heading in the wrong direction, actually way above where I began the year. Happily things have turned around, and I think I can do this. Hopefully I haven't angered the golf gods with my hubris, because golf is so much more fun when we're playing well.

I would like to get to a single digit handicap. I feel like I've sort of plateaued though. If I'm 'on,' I'll shoot 83-85. If I'm playing poorly, I'll shoot 91-93. Which means most of the time I'm in that 86-90 range. Home courses are slopes of 131 and 135, FYI.

Scores have been that way for quite some time, and it's a variety of things causing it. I'm yet to put it all together, where I drive it well, stick approach shots, chip it to gimme range when I miss a green, drain putts, etc. There's always one of those elements missing......and it's a rotating cycle of which one it is.

I also haven't taken any lessons in about a year, and don't practice a ton, so yeah......

I’m loving all the answers! I can’t lie...the game has been frustrating at times this year and my progress has been hampered at times trying to correct a swing issue. I’m still focused on achieving my goals though even if it takes longer than I originally thought it would. I just need to keeping grinding!

Yes! And surprisingly so as I lost the season from July on of last year due to a herniated disc.

This year's goal was to get down to a 2. Came in sitting where I left off at 3.8 but it quickly rose to 5.1.

Now at 3.5 trending to 2.9 and hoping like heck to keep it going.

Back