Stile442

Reaction score
Handicap
21.6 un-of
Hi All,

I'm new to the forum but wanted to ask for some advice on my putter. I gamed a Odyssey white hot xg rossie for almost 10 years and recently during my bag turnover/refresh swapped it out for a Cleveland 2135 Satin Elevado Counter Balanced in 35". I can't seem to get comfortable with it and I can't figure out why. I think my Rossie was 34" but I'm choking up a little on the Elevado to take advantage of the counter weight in the grip. I just can't get consistent with it as far as distance control. I've played about a month with it and am planning to go visit the practice green again this weekend before a round on monday for my birthday.

My questions are: do I continue to fight it and hope it clicks? (when it's on its magical, but its not often). Or should I look at replacing it with a more traditional putter again? Or finally, should I maybe change it to a non-counter balanced grip in hopes of getting the feedback into hands again? Would that wreck the characteristics of the putter?

Sincerely,

Confused on the green.

Distance control is definitely the most important thing when putting. That said are you generally long or short? The two putters are very different in terms of feel.

Distance control is definitely the most important thing when putting. That said are you generally long or short? The two putters are very different in terms of feel.

I am always short unless it just makes it and dribbles in.

I am always short unless it just makes it and dribbles in.

I wonder if that is you compensating for the milling vs an insert. Have you tried them side by side on a putting green?

I wonder if that is you compensating for the milling vs an insert. Have you tried them side by side on a putting green?

I wish I could but I've passed the rossie to a friend in Florida and don't have it anymore :/

I might be able to borrow a putter from my pro shop to test against the elevado. So you think because its such a softer face that I'm compensating by not swinging as hard? Thanks for the thoughts btw!

I was fit for a putter last night. The first guy I talked to asked me my miss. I told him "short", he wanted to know left right. Anyway that guy didn't change anything from stock. When the guy went to the more experienced fitter the guy said I likely miss short a lot because I tend to add loft when I putt. He removed some loft which got the ball rolling faster.

So I'd say go and get the putter fit for you, you can do this with the putter you already own and the cost isn't much. Definitely have it done if you decide to buy a new one, then it should be added in. Good luck.

FWIW, I had consistency issues with my speed control when I gamed a counterbalanced putter. I had a 38" TM Daddy Long Legs, and the size and weight of it always made me feel like I was going to pound it off the other side of the green........and I'd inevitably end up decelerating and leaving it short. I've since been much better with 'standard' putters -- around 350-ish gram heads, and no extra weighting in the grips.

Everybody is different though. Some people swear by counterbalanced putters.

I wish I could but I've passed the rossie to a friend in Florida and don't have it anymore :/

I might be able to borrow a putter from my pro shop to test against the elevado. So you think because its such a softer face that I'm compensating by not swinging as hard? Thanks for the thoughts btw!

Not exactly lol. Mostly a mix of different length, counterbalance, and a different feel. All of those factors have messed with what you are used to a putter doing.

I was fit for a putter last night. The first guy I talked to asked me my miss. I told him "short", he wanted to know left right. Anyway that guy didn't change anything from stock. When the guy went to the more experienced fitter the guy said I likely miss short a lot because I tend to add loft when I putt. He removed some loft which got the ball rolling faster.

So I'd say go and get the putter fit for you, you can do this with the putter you already own and the cost isn't much. Definitely have it done if you decide to buy a new one, then it should be added in. Good luck.

I will definitely look into fitting if I swap the grip or change the putter entirely. I didn't realize you could be fit for putters as well!

FWIW, I had consistency issues with my speed control when I gamed a counterbalanced putter. I had a 38" TM Daddy Long Legs, and the size and weight of it always made me feel like I was going to pound it off the other side of the green........and I'd inevitably end up decelerating and leaving it short. I've since been much better with 'standard' putters -- around 350-ish gram heads, and no extra weighting in the grips.

Everybody is different though. Some people swear by counterbalanced putters.

This sounds exactly like what I'm experiencing. I'm afraid of overhitting it and shy away from it completely.

How much of a weight difference between your old putter and the new 2135? I went from a 2135 1.0 to a Scotty and the weight difference was a big increase, but it helped me a great deal in my putting.
Just a thought, not sure how much of an issue it could be.

Ok. I spent some time on the practice green today, as much as I could before the rain hit anyway. I also swung some other putters in the proshop and what I discovered was that I like my 35" length just fine but I was gripping my elevado CB down about 2" on the grip to "take advantage of the counter weight" as I was told at some point. That caused my whole stance and muscle memory to shift and I think that was the bulk of my issues as once I ignored it and gripped the CB at the top like I would any other putter I had much better speed control. Now these were wet greens so I won't really get to test my theory until my round on Monday but what does the hive mind of THP think? Does this make sense or I am completely off base?

Also while it felt much improved, I still preferred the sense of touch I got in my hands with some other putters. Since I'm not using the CB grip as its intended to be used would I be better off swapping the grip to something more standard like a SS midslim to get more feedback in the hands?

Thank you all for the warm welcome and freindly advice :)

Ok. I also swung some other putters in the proshop and what I discovered was that I like my 35" length just fine but I was gripping my elevado CB down about 2" on the grip to "take advantage of the counter weight" as I was told at some point. That caused my whole stance and muscle memory to shift and I think that was the bulk of my issues as once I ignored it and gripped the CB at the top like I would any other putter I had much better speed control. :)

The theory on CB and “gripping down” isn’t that you should grip down to get the weight above your hands but that you should have a longer putter and put your hands in the normal position. Today we see lots of heave grips and counterweights on regular length putters.

In the end find a putter that starts the ball on line and that you can control distance with. That will be the best putter long term.

FWIW I struggled to find the right distance with a CB putter. I find I have my best distance with a blade style putter, for me an anser type, probably because that is what I grew up with. everyone is different though.

For me putting practice is boring. A game that has helped is as follows: place 4 tees 3, 6, 9, 12 feet from the hole. start at 3 and go to the next when you make 3 out of 3. If you miss 1 go back to the last. Once I get to 9 feet I don't go back to 6' if I make 2 out of 3, but I don't go to 12'. If, on the next round if I make 1 or zero out of 3 I go back to 6', if I make 3 out of 3 from 9' I go to 12'. Once I make 3 out of 3 from 12' I'm done. (which is 12 straight putts) I tend to have a difficult time finishing. I end up having to go back to 3' and making 3 out of those 3 a lot. In the end the idea of this IMO is to make a lot of 3 to 6 foot putts and get comfortable with those. I've found being comfortable making 3 footers helps my speed on longer putts, I leave them 6 feet short a lot less often.

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum but wanted to ask for some advice on my putter. I gamed a Odyssey white hot xg rossie for almost 10 years and recently during my bag turnover/refresh swapped it out for a Cleveland 2135 Satin Elevado Counter Balanced in 35". I can't seem to get comfortable with it and I can't figure out why. I think my Rossie was 34" but I'm choking up a little on the Elevado to take advantage of the counter weight in the grip. I just can't get consistent with it as far as distance control. I've played about a month with it and am planning to go visit the practice green again this weekend before a round on monday for my birthday.

My questions are: do I continue to fight it and hope it clicks? (when it's on its magical, but its not often). Or should I look at replacing it with a more traditional putter again? Or finally, should I maybe change it to a non-counter balanced grip in hopes of getting the feedback into hands again? Would that wreck the characteristics of the putter?

Sincerely,

Confused on the green.

"Lob" a call to us at 615-435-8015. Happy to help with any questions that you may have. or email at info@seemore.com.

"Lob" a call to us at 615-435-8015. Happy to help with any questions that you may have. or email at info@seemore.com.

I definitely will if I have any questions in the future, Thank you!!

Ok, so I repalced the grip with a SS countercore mid slim and it is a night and day difference. Almost instantly my distance control and touch were back! I play 18 today and only had 3 3putts the entire round and a few that burned the edge from 50+ feet (Huuuuuuuge greens lol) I was considering a new putter but I'm glad I went this route. I'm still considering a new putter but only because of my N+1 condition lol

Back